Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help...networking?

Options
  • 03-09-2004 12:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 807 ✭✭✭

argh, i posted a thread in wireless and realized its prob not the best place to put it as i dont know if im going totally wireless

ill do another thread here shortened..ok

got my external usb modem plugged into my main rig...got cat5 cables going to some cheap hub...other cable going to lappy and other going to secondary set up

now..i want a way to be able to use the modem without having my pc to be on..as its slightly annoying

also im thinking of scraping the idea of the cat cable for the laptop as that gets in the way, so i need something wireless for them, i guess i could keep the wires for these 2 pcs..and some sort of wireless thing for the laptop..if thats possible (and ..not too expensive?)

also ive just ordered some stuff for my pc..resulting in my bits going in the secondary and leaving lots of ...not too bad stuff lying around ...so i think ill set up a little server..maybe a file one that just downloads all day..how can i go about this to be also into my little home network..i really dont know whats the best way to go about this

thanks

btw..its only a 1mb adsl modem..so i guess i dont need nothing huge...and expensive..as thats just gonna be overkill?...i leave in a little cheap town in uk thats only just got 1mb lines...i think they are doing 2mb lines soon..so i guess ill get that..but nothing more..or not for years..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Right.

In order to give yourself net access without the computer being on, you'll need a DSL router. One with NAT, and a firewall at least. Then you plug that into the hub, and set it as the default gateway for all your machines.

As for the laptop, if you want to go wireless, your best bet is to buy a wireless DSL router, as above. You plug this into the hub to provide connectivity for all your wired machines, and the wireless part of it gives access for your laptop....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 807 ✭✭✭ViperVenoM

aha ok ..and how much do these cost..theres hundreds...i dont see how i need the big expensive ones, like i said 2mb line tops im gonna have, and i cant tell the different between half of em :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Paulj

i got one for about 95e on komplett.ie a few months ago

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

A decent one with a built in wireless access point, 4 port switch and dsl modem will cost you about 100 quid.
    Don't go for the cheapo wireless "gateway" routers, as you will still have to buy a separate ethernet dsl modem for those.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

/waves hand

This is not the forum you are looking for.

• Advertisement
Advertisement