Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DOOM 3 Editing

• 03-09-2004 1:54am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭

Anyone else using DOOMEdit?
    I thought it would be useful to have a thread where we can share tips and help each other out.

I just started looking at it yesterday, then spent hours reading tuts, and was up half the night experimenting :).

Anyway, I'm going to make a small SP mod set in a hospital (on Earth). If anyone wants to help out, just say so.
    I'm ok with mapping, scripting and textures but I'd really like some help with modelling. Any modellers out there?

Btw, if you want to make proper custom textures for D3, you need to create 4 seperate maps for each one. A diffuse map, a specular map, a bump map and an editor map.
    You can make them all in Photoshop, and there's a special filter (NormalMapFilter.8bf) available from the nVidia homepage, that converts heightmaps to Normal maps (for the bump map).

Now, back to mapping... :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

Im sure you know this but for those who dont

all the .pk4 files in the doom folder are zip files with a file structure.
    Some have simple tga and dds image files others have model files cant establish a format here and one dll that I havnt looked at yet.

All the rest of the script files can be opened in a word editor.

Sir Random did you manage to open any dds files cause I cant, plus have you any idea on the 3d model format?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Sir Random

I think you can import multiple model file types into DOOM3. MD5, LWO or ASE.
    I don't have 3DSMAX, so I haven't even looked at any models.

I'll be creating all the static/animated models using DOOMEdit, like tables, machinery etc, but I'll need someone to make new character models, complete with Ragdolls etc.

Check out these forums for help:
    http://www.doom3world.org/phpbb2/index.php

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭OSiriS

http://www.3dbuzz.com

Go to that site and register, they have just released a series of video tutorials for map building in Doom3. They are free to download.

anyone manage those dds files?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭airetam_storm

i dunno if this is proper relevent but if u unzip all the .zips the editor loads up quicker and so does the game to a lesser extent

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Photoshop opens DDS files.

kdjac

KdjaC wrote:
    Photoshop opens DDS files.

hmm I may not have explained myself right,
    I have the plugins to allow dds formats to open in photoshop, but the dds files supplied with doom3 dont seem to open in it with or without mip maps.

this make tba a sad liitle panda

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Have you got the correct plugins for photoshop?
    If you bought it they should be on the login part of the website, if not google :)

kdjac

no joy

i still cry

ah well it was just interest anyhow

and for those interested nvidia have the plugins on their site

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Sir Random

I've no idea how to access the DDS files, that's why I need someone to do the modelling.
    I'll make all the low poly models myself in DOOMEdit, like animated equipment/machinery, beds, desks etc. I just need a few new character models, especially a female model.

I've been trying out the nVidia Normal map filter, and here's the results:

I started with a pic of Bray beach:

beach1.jpg

Then I made a specular map for the "wet look":

beach3.jpg

Then I used the NV filter to make a normal map from the height map that I made in photoshop:

beach2.jpg

Finally, I tested it in a small box map with a single light source:

beach4.jpg

I made some other bumpmaps with text and shapes, and it really looks 3D, well worth the effort :).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

thats pretty damn cool :)

Advertisement