Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Big Gwb Speech!

Options
  • 03-09-2004 4:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭

Well George has spoken for 1 hour and 10 minutes (roughly) and what have we learned after it?

an impossible set of promises

and a lovely heart stringing praise of USA and the troops.

the speech went in two halfs. The first half was a dull description of GWB politcies for the next 4 years. This is the sort of politics i support none of that crap showing off (*reporting for duty* :rolleyes: ) but i was informed i missed the little video before the speech which covered for that. Anyway despite finally hearing a proper lowdown on what George wants to do i feel that he is being an idiot and his goals are not just impossible but also conflict too much.

He makes a big deal of cutting taxes and restricting government spending. And then goes on to name new education and medical support a reforming of how the tax system works and so on. He expects to lighten taxes, restrict government spending AND...give America all the education, new colleges and houses and medical care it needs? WOW! where does he get all that money from? (
    prob. Iraq's oil or daddy
    ) His policies were simply to appeal to every possible person in america watching. He hits the important issues and promises everything. While at the same time scares them with threats of Kerry's evil tax increase (which could if it happened pay for all of georgies little plans)

He promises to let American Big companies expand without interference. While at the same time protecting the small american companies??? Again i am confused to how he can pull that off succesfully.

And then we have the second half of his speech. The big LIBERTY speech, justifying iraq etc and basically going on how great everything in the world will be with him.

a few things caught my eye out of this. Firstly his reference to Palestine was as usual one sided (*our friends Isreal*) He pushes at Palestine to take notice of the states George has *saved* and try more moderate approaches. Why didnt he ask Isreal to do the same? (i am not denying soem of the crimes palestinian terrorists have done but i am not ignoring the crimes of some of the Isreali military)

Secondly his plugging of the almighty Christian god...*groan*

Overall though nothing surprising from him. i felt at first i was being too mean to him when his speech was at first a very factual layout of what he wants to do (though alot of it was the opposite to what he HAS done, *a state which supports not control* HAH!) though i felt i needed a sickbag by the second half. Understandable seeing it is appealing to the american people but it felt fake when it was spoken in the same dry tone the first half was spoken in. (except for the *almighty god* part)

according the Euronews (u expected me to watch the speech on fox news?) a record number of protesters were arrested in new york this week, probably explaining the lack of trouble during the speech. Kind a lucky cause if there was then George might have scored more votes.

anyway what did you all think of it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Pugwash

This race to the White House never fails to leave a bad taste in the mouth.

Compared to what the English tabloids have branded as spin, the US equivilant is really outrageous.

The creation of a presidential proflie for the public using religon, delerious patriotism, etc is quite sad.

One outstanding example was Carole Coleman's suggestion that the hurricane bound for Florida could actually help win the state for Bush, as he and the local senator, his brother Jebb, would be on hand to provide aid,very publically, to the distraught homeless families bound to be left in the wake of the storm, while Kerry is canvassing elsewhere.

This really shows the way the photo-op clearly out-weighs Policy :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

I haven't seen the full speech yet. But I am watching a Repub/Democ having a debate on RTE.

Democrat - Mentions that Bush lied in the speech about raising some benifit, when in fact he has actually lowered it. Something about Kerry raising taxes he has lowered, when in fact the tax drop has a sunshine clause and Kerry would just let that expire.

Republican - Bush does good speeches, and Kerry shouldn't of attacked (rebuffed) the speeches as its an unwritten rule in the US.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭shotamoose

Haven't read the speech but I've seen fairly detailed reports. Cleverly, Bush does not seem to have focused on his record over the past 3 1/2 years, as that record is appalling. So since he knows his own performance is indefensible, he makes a lot of crazy promises he knows nobody will remember to hold him to and attacks Kerry's character.

Oh and he didn't really cut taxes, he simply created a deficit that future generations will have to pay for. It was a tax deferral, not a tax cut.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Redleslie2

shotamoose wrote:
    Oh and he didn't really cut taxes, he simply created a deficit that future generations will have to pay for. It was a tax deferral, not a tax cut.
    But it's ok because Cheney allegedly told Paul O'Neill that "deficits don't matter".

What I find hard to understand is that because Bush is such an out and out mad neoliberal economic policy pushing christian fundamentalist hick loo la, then Kerry is assumed by many Americans (and monumentally stupid people everywhere else I suppose) to be his diametric opposite, some sort of krayzee tax and spend style pinko ****, rather than a fairly bog standard conservative, which is what he is, and all he can be. 40% of America's wealth is owned by 1% of the population according to that Graydon Carter book. I reckon that 1% would rather welcome a Pinochet style dictatorship than see any of that redistributed by some evil democrat government.

I heard on the news this morning that Kerry got a new campaign team. About freakin time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭mycroft

Slightly OT,

But listen to This

I swear if they re-elect this muppet I'm going to find a deep dark pit somewhere in navan, and crawl into with a case of whiskey for four years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

BlitzKrieg wrote:
    Secondly his plugging of the almighty Christian god...*groan*
    My god's bigger than your god and he'll beat you up if you don't give me some sweets.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

mycroft wrote:
    Slightly OT,

But listen to This

I swear if they re-elect this muppet I'm going to find a deep dark pit somewhere in navan, and crawl into with a case of whiskey for four years

Yeah that clip never fails to make me worry.....mind you, most politicians would have just ignored the question and answered some pat "america is a melting pot...respect each others cultures....****e!!!" type of response that their mdia advisor had drilled into them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 471 ✭✭tovalee

If it's any consolation, I live in Ohio, one of the "battleground" states. I just came home from the Kerry speech and people seemed pretty supportive, considering Ohio and especially this county are pretty traditionaly Republican. I read an article yesterday that stated if Kerry can win 40% of my county(Licking- don't laugh, I'm serious :), he can win the state, and since no republican has ever won the presidency without Ohio, things are looking good for Kerry..so far anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement