Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ch4,ch5,itv anyone know when .....

• 03-09-2004 8:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭

will these be free to air without the sky digibox?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

how long is a piece of string?

Channel 4 have recently signed another encryption deal with Sky so forget that. five seem to be happy as they are and ITV, not even god knows

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭jimbob

There is talk of Granada puling out of TV3. So maybe if that happened UTV might actually become available in the south on Sky.
    UTV have actually agreed to being shown on Sky in the South, only Granada won't let it happen cause of TV3.

Other than that ITV's Sky contract is finished soon(not sure when).
    So they might become free to air. If Granada keep TV3, I don't know what would happen there though.

I can't see C4 becoming free to air as they have the rights to too many American Programs.
    If you can remember the BBC lost the rights to '24' because they went Free to Air.
    I can't understand why they won't do a deal with Sky to be shown in ROI though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭remoteboy

There is talk of Granada puling out of TV3.

Really! Surely that would be a major blow to TV3. Is there any source on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 spontits

do ya know how to get itv2???

I read it somewhere.
    Could have even been this forum or on digital Spy.
    I can't remember.
    I'll post the source if I find it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Channel 4 doesnt make any sense, they allow us to subscribe to filmfour and they made irish versions of E4 which shows very similar programming to Ch4 so i dont see what their problem is but its annoying.

Channel 5 will more than likely never ever be available here. I read before that they had no interest to offer its channel to Ireland.

ITV could be years off yet unless they go fta which i highly doubt as they got many programme rights and movies+ sport.

Its also really annoying that we cant get the extra bbc channels added to our epg now that bbc is fta and they allowed ntl in ireland to add in all the extra channels to their setup so why not sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 spontits

jimbob wrote:
    I read it somewhere.
    Could have even been this forum or on digital Spy.
    I can't remember.
    I'll post the source if I find it.
    nice one thanks!!

i got digital, but wrecks my head that i can nevr find the ch.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭kaiphas

I mailed Sky Customer Services about this exact query. I explained that I only took out the contract with them 3 years ago 'cos they promised me ITV, C4 etc within a few months. Sky's reply was that they had no plans and I should address me queries in future to ITV and CH4 etc and they furnished me with the email addresses and phone numbers to do so.

Any sign of the ITV2 codes - I'd be interested too

Gonzo wrote:
    Its also really annoying that we cant get the extra bbc channels added to our epg now that bbc is fta and they allowed ntl in ireland to add in all the extra channels to their setup so why not sky.

Sky want payment for that to happen, with ntl i believe they pay to have channels included

Mossy Monk wrote:
    Sky want payment for that to happen, with ntl i believe they pay to have channels included

Chorus added the extra bbc's and Sky Sports xtra and raised their sub accordingly. About a Euro a month.
    Obviously Chorus pay aswell as Ntl.

Sky are just too cheap.
    They get the channels to pay them, unlike Chorus and NTL who pay the channels.
    I suppose that why they make millions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭TVDX

If Granada pull out of TV3, we should get UTV, we will never have ITV 1.
    Though they are mostly the same programming, there are some strange differences. For example fans of last years ITV series "24 Hour Quiz" inexplicably were denied the main show which was replaced on UTV by a cooking program but apart from a few little niggles like that UTV would be a good addition.

Channel 4 were rumoured to have said they would be willing to create an ROI version of C4 with Irish adverts when there were a million ROI Sky Digital subscribers. I dont think we have passed the 500, 000 mark even but stand to be corrected.

Five cant even be gotten terrestrially by alot of people in the UK so they have other problems to think of apart from letting ROI people watch.

TVDX wrote:
    fans of last years ITV series "24 Hour Quiz" inexplicably were denied the main show

no real loss tbh

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

spontits wrote:
    do ya know how to get itv2???
    You can only get ITV2 with a UK Sky Subscription to Family Pack or higher. It was available for a few months FTA on proper digital recievers but that has long since died. There are no FTA streams of ITV2 at the moment.

its weird

ITV2 is free on Freeview( bbcs free to air DTS)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

jimbob wrote:
    its weird

ITV2 is free on Freeview( bbcs free to air DTS)
    It's not the only one - there are a number of channels in this situation. UK History is one IIRC.

byte

The reason ITV2 isn't free on Satellite is basically to do with the deal ITV and Sky arranged for carriage. As part of the carriage deal, ITV2 had to be in the Family Pack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭TVDX

I still dont see why it cant be included in the Irish family pack, probably got to do with TV3 again.

byte

Yeah, possibly has, considering the amount of times they repeat Corrie, Emmerdale, etc. And then there is Champions League rights to consider. Apart from CL, there ain't much worth watching on it, to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭Bri

Sorry to ask but I don't see this in the stickies:

Is it not possible to stop paying for cable and keep sky, and then try recieve itv/ch4 by a large aerial or something? I'm not claiming this is easy or doable but I could swear I have friends (not in Dublin) who do this and are totally unaware of the catch22 of paying 2 TV providers. Is this just close to the North or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭ShaneOC

Ability to pick up UTV/Ch4 or HTV/S4C depends on where you live.

You will have to provide more than Dublin(ish) :D

I am amazed at the number of people who continue to pay cable companies for just two channels. I have ITV and Channel4 but the number of times that I watch either is almost none(*). I suppose one of the main reasons that I don't watch them is that they are not on the main EPG.

* Although I did watch Big Brother on Channel 4.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭Bri

Heheh, ok how's about Celbridge/Maynooth area of Kildare.

I'm the same - always forget to even check them for listings - but continue to pay Chorus for worse-than-an-aerial reception for the times when I know something good is on. Realistically, ITV and CH4 between them offer a better selection than most channels on digital IMO. Anyway - who are these lucky people who can just get it through the airwaves? And are they community schemes or what? I'm def. getting onto my friends living more northernly than me to ask.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭ShaneOC

I am not certain but you could possibly pick up a signal from Wales which would give you HTV and S4C. You may need a substantial mast though. The best way of determining if it is possible is to look around and see if anyone in the locality has large UHF aerials, if they do then they are probably getting the UK channels.

I think that if you are used to receiving ITV and Ch4 then you do miss them a bit if you only have Sky, however I disagree that they offer a better selection than most digital channels. Most of ITV's output is now on TV3 and much of Ch4's drama output is on E4 before it is on Ch4. Get rid of Chorus. You wont really miss ITV and Ch4 that much :D.

ShaneOC wrote:
    I am not certain but you could possibly pick up a signal from Wales which would give you HTV and S4C. You may need a substantial mast though. The best way of determining if it is possible is to look around and see if anyone in the locality has large UHF aerials, if they do then they are probably getting the UK channels.

Anyone in the country in Westmeath(approx) and above can receive the channels from the north.
    its a special Aerial(a big one with a half circle on the end)
    People in the Wexford, Wicklow(not sure about Dublin) area can recieve the Welsh channels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭shabbyroad

we got rid of NTL a year ago because I just couldn't justify paying all that money for ITV (never watched) and Ch4 (sometimes watched... used to watch it a lot but it's really gone downhill in the last couple of years).
    Very little of the half-decent stuff on ITV (and let's face it.. how much of ITV is 'decent') is missing off TV3 so no loss there. An awful lot of Ch4 programming appears first on E4.

As an experiment we disconnected NTL ourselves and tried doing without it for a month. After 6 weeks we'd forgotten all about it and it was a no-brainer to get rid of NTL.

Fortunately I got a UK Sky card (the FTA ones that were available for about 30 quid for a few months). In reality it's only used rarely - I have ch4 piped throughout the house via a spare digibox and we hardly ever watch it (in fact I can't remember the last time - possibly for a Liverpool UEFA Cup game on Ch5 last season).

What we were paying for NTL has covered some DVD rentals and a Premiership Plus ticket for the year. Worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

UTV have actually agreed to being shown on Sky in the South, only Granada won't let it happen cause of TV3.

I'm sure UTV would agree to be shown worldwide if they had an opportunity to do so. UTV don't have the programme rights for most of their programming for the RoI so it's irrelevant what Granada say or do.

How amany times is this subject going to be posted????

Advertisement