Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bodykits, alloys and ice in the south east?

Options
  • 03-09-2004 9:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭

Hey everyone.

Im in the market to buy a small car i.e. Citroen Saxo or Peugeot 106 (1.0 or 1.1 litre).

I want to put bodykit, alloys and a decent mp3 based sound system in it. Can anyone recommend people who do this in the South East? Or, if ye know other people who do this elsewhere but would be worth travelling because it would be cheaper? I dont really want to be ripped off.

Please, all advice welcome. And if anyone knows where I can get a decent car (one of the above), please let me know. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

Try 'Sounds and Systems' in Arklow if thats near you - they'll sort you out with everything you need.

If you're coming from Dublin they are on your left just before you cross the big bridge in the town - they are just behind an old garage - you'll see their sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭Loobz

Thanks for advice. Im from Wexford so Arklow is not too far away. Have you had experience with them before?

Also, can anyone advise a bodykit for a Saxo. Nothing too fancy or expensive.
    Also, would 15" wheels be a liitle too big for a 1 ltre car? Should I get 14" instead?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭dogz

id go with big wide 15s theyll fit no probs, (i knew a fella with 16s on a 106 gti) the wider tyres will let ya corner better, and if ya dont mind spending about 200 yoyos extra id lower it too www.pro-parts.net do them for 180

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Going Demented

You could try xtreme autos in waterford.

http://www.xtremeautos.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

www.deevys.com for the largest parts bin in the south east, they have a small place in Wexford on Slaney Street.

also for audio phone try Secure Sounds 051 856660 and
    Audiotec 051 871944

Mike.

• Advertisement

Thanks for replies. I think I might just do that Dogz. Wouldnt a set of wide ass 15's slow my little 1 litre car right down, causing strain of all sorts on the little thing?

Can anybody recommend kit, wheels and sound system (mp3 based)? Im looking around - looks like this will be an expensive project.

thanks for advice again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

The Saxo has a three stud wheel doesn't it? So that may limit your wheel choice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 625 ✭✭✭ThreadKiller

Bodykit & alloys on a saxo ???

Dude, it's still going to be a saxo no matter how you dress it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

I'd tend to aggree, maybe get a better standard car, with the extras, with the money you will spend on the kit. I know a dude with a souped Saxo and he has spent obscene amounts of money on it. He could have bought a nice beamer for the same price or a Golf GTI

Would ye think a 106 might be a bit better? I dont have loads of cash, 3 grand for car and 2 grand for alloys etc. Thats still a fair lump of dosh but believe me, i worked for it.

What do ye suggest? I dont want to make a mistake. Thanks.

• Advertisement

For a start, I wouldn't be putting 2k Alloys on any car costing 3k. Not least a small one like the 106 or saxo.

All the bling bling in the world isn't going to make them a better car. (in certain cases alloys can be heavier than the actual steel wheels that come with the car).

Save some more money & get a better car, even a 206 would be a hundred times better. Then do it one bit at a time.

Seriously though ? 2K on alloys ? Are you nuts ? What are you going to put back on the car when you come out one morning to find it up on bricks (if you're lucky)

Maybe ye could advise what i should look for with my budget. This may be a bit obvious but I want to do this thing the correct way. I cant afford to make mistakes and I want value for money.

I know some may think 'ah heres another boy racer', but Im not the type that does laps of the town just to get looks. I just want a nice tidy car. This is my first vehicle also.

Thanks again ; )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

On the alloys I would'nt buy any in Ireland, click here and see if you can find some you like. Delivery rates are about 50 quid a set.

Mike.

2k on alloys etc . thats alloys, kit and soundsystem. Maybe I would be better off getting a different car. I dunno. I kinda like 106's.

Seriously dude, I'm really not into car modding, but one thing I hate is a dressed up little one litre. Hate all those "pimped" Novas & 106s etc... they're laughable. Sa ve your money & get a decent car, be less concerned about looking "cool" among your peers (they're the only one's who'll think you look cool, everyone else will think you're a ned) & be more concerned about value for money & styling.

I used to have a 206 a couple of years ago & they're a great car (you can get a 1L if you're concerned about insurance). If you're intending on spending 5k, have a look around for a nice one of them, at that price you'll probably get one that's a couple of years old, it's already going to look sporty (way sportier than a 106 or saxo) & there's a good chance it'll come with alloys.

From there if you want to do it up feel free to do so, but don't go for the bling especially if it's your first car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭TUTS

You could look for a pug xsi ....its based on the 106 only slightly longer. They are rare ... but there is sometimes one or two in the Buy and Sell. These cars were not sold in ireland so parts would have to be gotten through the main steelers up north or Peugeot Ireland. Or for a fraction of the cost through www.partsgateway.co.uk.

There the dogs bollox!! 1.4 8v Super Quick! Most of the design is based on the old GTI. Really cheap insurance. Its classed as a small car. Comes with loads of nice xtras.... leccy windows, leccy mirrors, sun roof etc etc. Its unique kinda....none of your friends would have one.

Jesus....i sound like a selling agent, in case your wondering i have one....&
    its not for sale.

Here's some pics of a red one... this is stock aswell
    http://www.peugeotperformance.net/gallery/106/natas106xsi/natas106xsi_2_04_large.jpg

Id travel all over Ireland to buy another if i wraped it.... thats how much fun she is. :D

Lots faster than the 106 1.4 quicksilver aswell

Em, insurance will probably stop me from even thinking of getting that car. Im looking at 3,000 insurance on a 1 litre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭TUTS

Yeah, i thought that 2. They wanted 3900 yoyo for a Mitsubshi Lancer 1.3 1994 and 3140 yoyo for a 1.4 xsi 1993. The lancer was classed as a sports car. ha aha ha (dont ask me why) I paid 2000 exactly for the car.

Im 21 first provo, insured on xsi for 3140 through Mccarthy insurance in fermoy. My policy is with Asgard of Lloyds in the uk. i have had no previous insurance policy either, well on the bike but that doesnt count. It really pays to shop around for insurance.

well if u got the saxo i make out costs as follows

lowering 200 ---diy
    bodykit 600-1200 depends on what offers are on
    rims&tyres 750 in dublin for a new set
    stero at least 500

then when u get some ncb u could dop in a vtr engine and off u go

Nice one Dogz.

I think I will go for the modded car option, instead of buying a newer car.
    Be advised that I have very little car mechanical skills. So lowering by DIY may not be an option. But 200 yoyo seems very cheap. How many mm should I drop it, considering potholes, speedbumps and country roads? Who should I go to for lowering? Consider the 15" alloys. Im not sure how wide I can go with the tyres.

With regards to the bodykit, Im not looking for anything too wild. I was advised by friends to buy the kit myself and get someone to fit it. I know the prices of kits vary, but how much should it cost to:
    1) Paint it
    2) Fit it.
    I presume Dogz that your estimate (600-1200) is just for the bare kit in a box, or is that painted and fitted? Again, who would do that for me?

I think I'll go to Secure Sounds in Waterford for the sound system. Would anyone disagree?

Please remember, I dont want to spend a fortune. Im not looking for Max Power standards here, just something a little unique but nothing over the top.

All advice welcome. Thanks people.

• Advertisement

Loobz wrote:

How many mm should I drop it, considering potholes, speedbumps and country roads? Who should I go to for lowering? Consider the 15" alloys. Im not sure how wide I can go with the tyres.

With regards to the bodykit, Im not looking for anything too wild. I was advised by friends to buy the kit myself and get someone to fit it. I know the prices of kits vary, but how much should it cost to:
    1) Paint it
    2) Fit it.
    I presume Dogz that your estimate (600-1200) is just for the bare kit in a box, or is that painted and fitted? Again, who would do that for me?

well 40mm seems to be farely standrad as for diy if u can use a socket set u and some m8s could do it in an hour or two, as far as tyes go ur best bet is pobably to go to kwick fit or advance o one of them and ask what would fit width wise.

yea 600 was bodykit in box i cant tellu how much painting/fitting is because when my cousin got his it was 1200ish fo the kit fitted and painted and a hks style muffler if u know a fella that does cash repais hell paint it for u thats what, i did fitted it myself and had him paint it did it fo me for 300 but it was a nixer, but 1200 is pobably what ur lookin at fo it fitted & painted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 8080

The man who runs sounds and styling in arklow owns a class 106 (very similar to a Saxo right?), there might be pics on maxed-ie.net or cruiseirl.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭D!ve^Bomb!

Loobz wrote:
    Nice one Dogz.

I think I will go for the modded car option, instead of buying a newer car

one word for ya........ dumbass!

you say you want to do it the 'correct' way but then decide to piss your money away on a modded car... money which you will never EVER get back!! modded cars are evil, they suk ass! just get a newer car and a nice set of wheels and you're set!

considering this is your first car you'll probably want a newer one within the year anyway! i've only been driving for 2 months and i'm already looking for a nice new car:)

be smart, save, get a newer car and get VALUE FOR MONEY..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 serpeh1

try elite styling in kilkenny, not to sure of the phone number, try 11850 for that.
    they are one of the best in ireland, thay had a feature car in maxpower/redline.

Advertisement