Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Text manipulation / templating...

Options
  • 03-09-2004 9:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭

Alright I'm stuck with a problem at work... we've a Lotus notes database and a lot of info to be entered. The form we have the info at the minute is an access database... now there is a form for entering the info in Lotus and what I did previously was copy the access stuff to excel and save as a CSV, then I used QBASIC (All I know, unfortunately)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭davil

+ remotekeys (a text macro program) to first convert the fields into text files ith all the tabs and spaces needed to tab through the form and then I loaded the files into the macro program one by one and went to the database form and entered the info with the macro hotkeys....

now this was more effective than printing and re-typing obviously but I was still wasting time as many of you know. I exported a file from the notes database as structured text and realised that all I have to do is edit the fields in that text file and then import all the files I create as structured text.

Only problem is, I'm kinda on a deadline here so I was wondering if any of you guys know a quicker way (like a prog I could download or something), especially something like a program where you make a template and put places for the fields and then input the text from a text/csv file..... while typing this I realised maybe Word Mail merge will do the job, but perhaps someone out there has a better idea

Sorry about how many pieces this post is in, only my proxy wont let me post more than two or three lines at a time, I just get "page cannot be displayed"

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

davil wrote:
    Alright I'm stuck with a problem at work... we've a Lotus notes database and a lot of info to be entered. The form we have the info at the minute is an access database... now there is a form for entering the info in Lotus and what I did previously was copy the access stuff to excel and save as a CSV, then I used QBASIC (All I know, unfortunately)

You can import the data using CSV into notes. Without having to write to fields. Its pretty easy.

Do a search in the help for "Importing files into views"

• Advertisement
Advertisement