Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Handheld gaming

Options
  • 03-09-2004 9:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭

Handhelds Gaming?

What handheld games device do you own or would most like to own? Oh and why? As i see it there is only 4 choices:

GBA
    GB DS
    N-Gage QD
    PSP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

GB DS. It looks like there will be so many billiant games on this. I'm even considering picking one up when it comes out, it would be my first handheld.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Ciaran500 wrote:
    GB DS. It looks like there will be so many billiant games on this. I'm even considering picking one up when it comes out, it would be my first handheld.

I have a Tapwave Zodiac:

http://www.tapwave.com/
    http://www.zodiacgamer.com/

matt

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

The DS (now with added VoIP)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

What do you think of it Matt? I've got a GP32 and have been tempted to upgrade, but heard that the Zodiac's emulation scene isn't as lively or advanced as the GP32's.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

ooh that tapwave thing looks nifty. How bad is the damage financially? :)

• Advertisement

What do you think of it Matt? I've got a GP32 and have been tempted to upgrade, but heard that the Zodiac's emulation scene isn't as lively or advanced as the GP32's.

Thats true, but several GP32 developers have expressed interest in the Zodiac. The hardware is sound, currently best of class (obviously the DS and PSP will be more powerful when released). Very nicely designed, good unit for someone that could use even a tiny bit of the PDA aspect as well as the games, movies and music of the entertainment side. The software side struggled a bit more than I expected, but they have some very good games now (Duke Nukem, Doom2, and a great Command and Conquer clone Warfare Inc). There is also two big name RPGs out later this year (Neverwinter Nights and Edge).

I dont know what the Euro price is, I got mine from Ebay (they have just launched in Europe or will soon). The $RRP is $299 (32MB) or $399 (128MB).
    Detailed specs here:
    http://www.tapwave.com/comparison2.html
    The NGage is pretty piss poor in comparison.

Matt

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

I was thinking of getting a GBA, especially the tribal one but tbh I can't seem to see any decent games for it in any games shop I visit. They all seem to be stupid tie-ins with films or Ashley and Kate Oooh boys! ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

I got a GBA SP ages ago. No decent games ever came out that seemed worth the 40 quid they were charging. So I sold it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The best place to get GBA games is on the internet from america. GBA games are 20-40% cheaper in America than in europe when they are released. Its an absolute disgrace and 40 euros for a GBA game is far too much.

I wouldn't buy a GBA at the moment. The DS is almost out (late 2004 for America, around February-March for Europe) and its backwards compatible with all GBA software.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I'm playing about with Goomba on my GBA (GB emulator for the GBA)... there were so many good B&W GB games, and its great to play them properly again (but on my SP) :)

http://www.webpersona.com/goomba/about.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Epitaph

Got a GBA-SP last year when I was in the States for about 80 euro, and is still well worth the investment. Currently buried 44+ hours into Golden Sun 2, after being immersed in Castlevania: Circle of the Moon for at least 2 month, which followed on from an age completing Golden Sun 1.

Have never bought a game in Ireland, got a load off ebay from US and Hong Kong for next to nothing. GS2 cost me about 20 euro and that sort of value for money is hard to get games-wise nowadays.
    TmB wrote:
    I'm playing about with Goomba on my GBA (GB emulator for the GBA)... there were so many good B&W GB games, and its great to play them properly again (but on my SP) :)

http://www.webpersona.com/goomba/about.html

TmB, you using a Flash cart to play those?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Correct....

amp wrote:
    I was thinking of getting a GBA, especially the tribal one but tbh I can't seem to see any decent games for it in any games shop I visit. They all seem to be stupid tie-ins with films or Ashley and Kate Oooh boys! ones.

Nintendo have confirmed a price drop on the SP in the USA so it should come down here as well. Id wait for the DS if I were you or pick up an SP 2nd hand. As for good games:

Mario Golf
    Astro Boy
    Advanced Wars 1 and 2
    All the Mario Bros games
    Zelda: a link to the past
    Metroide 1 and 2
    Mario Kart (spent 10 days on a road trip round france and played a serious amout of this with a friend beating each others lap times)
    Donky Kong Country 1/2
    Super Monkey Ball
    Pokemon Ruby/Saphire
    Streat Fighter II Alpha
    Others I cannt remember!

Got a EFA Flash cart as well very handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭BluE-WinG

I recently got the new QD, Best game I've found - Bomberman -- Link via bluetooth, very very nice, only 2 players though :(

The emus though.. NES, Sega, GBC - Absolutely love them...

I wonder if the GBA DS will let us use emu'd games

BluE-WinG wrote:
    I recently got the new QD, Best game I've found - Bomberman -- Link via bluetooth, very very nice, only 2 players though :(

The emus though.. NES, Sega, GBC - Absolutely love them...

I wonder if the GBA DS will let us use emu'd games

Are they supplying a magnifiing glass for that screen yet? :p

Matt

Yeah, the N-Gage screensize means it's not even and option for me. Same with the forthcoming Gizmondo, whichh does like promising – especially the open dev – but the tiny screen ruins it.

Yeah, the N-Gage screensize means it's not even and option for me. Same with the forthcoming Gizmondo, whichh does like promising – especially the open dev – but the tiny screen ruins it.

I remember people comparing it to the Zodiac 6 months ago (had a diff name then). Their poxy site has no size on the screen spec, I thought it was a 3" screen?

Matt

Aye the screen is a bit small, but its very high res, and emu'd games look pure CLASS on it, aswell as Bomber man :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Syth

I've got every game boy form the start to the SP. If you're buying an sp, buy online. It's about half the price. $80 versus €140. Simple maths. There is no region lock on the games, which is great. I hope the DS is similar. I'm going to import it. It's criminal that Nintendo aren't going to have it here for christmas. And I think the name doesn't include "GBA" FYI.

The Gizmondo only has a 2.8" screen. Stupid really when you consider all the superfluous stuff they'The Gizmondo only has a 2.8" screen. Stupid really when you consider all the superfluous stuff they're cramming in there like a camera and GPS system. re cramming in there like a camera and GPS system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I can't wait for the DS! There's some really great looking games coming out for that. For the moment, I love my shiny blue SP. I'm playing A Link To The Past at the moment, just waiting for my Pokemon Fire Red to ship. Beaten Metroid Zero Mission a ridiculous amount of times before that. Playing a lot of WarioWare Inc over the summer too. Just got the Cube version of that today (and my 11 year old sister has already swiped it!)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Rew wrote:
    Nintendo have confirmed a price drop on the SP in the USA so it should come down here as well. Id wait for the DS if I were you or pick up an SP 2nd hand. As for good games:

Mario Golf
    Astro Boy
    Advanced Wars 1 and 2
    All the Mario Bros games
    Zelda: a link to the past
    Metroide 1 and 2
    Mario Kart (spent 10 days on a road trip round france and played a serious amout of this with a friend beating each others lap times)
    Donky Kong Country 1/2
    Super Monkey Ball
    Pokemon Ruby/Saphire
    Streat Fighter II Alpha
    Others I cannt remember!

Got a EFA Flash cart as well very handy.

Hmmm, I did like Advance Wars. Nice list.

amp wrote:
    Hmmm, I did like Advance Wars. Nice list.

I forgot Warioware and the Goldensun games (havent played them but I hear they are great). The Megaman Battlenetwork series is good for a laugh as well. There are loads of **** games as well but they are generally easy enough to avoide. I def wouldn't pay the €140 or what ever they retail at now, Not with the DS round the corner. Loads of people will import DS's in Nov.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

If you like advance wars you should check out fire emblem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭stormkeeper

I was at Game Stars Live over the past 3 days and tested out the Gizmondo. Looked pretty sweet in my opinion, movie res is quite good from what I seen...

Edit: Btw, Final Fantasy 1 & 2 is coming on the GBA SP/Advance, saw it at GSL, was pretty excited :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

Retr0gamer wrote:
    If you like advance wars you should check out fire emblem.

I was wonderin why no one had mentiond this game yet.

I cant really believe they are releasing the fire red and leaf green pokemon. I finished that game years ago. and I had 15 or 16 pokemon at level 100. I dont want to play it again. although the wireless play is very cool.

Kennett wrote:
    Btw, Final Fantasy 1 & 2 is coming on the GBA SP/Advance, saw it at GSL, was pretty excited :D

Don't get too excited. Final Fantasy 2 has aged very badly and Final fantasy 2 is the worst of the series (other than X-2).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Stormfox1020

Also GTA is coming to the GBA, which should sh'ell in the bucket load.

Has anyone had any experience with : Spiderman 2, Ghost Recon or Crash Nitro Kart on the QD or other handheld? I'm thinking of buying one or two, but I dont want to buy either if theyre not great! Spiderman 2 I have not heard good things about so far...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

crash nitro kart is supposed to be fairly slow on the gameboy, I ve heard its very good on the ngage though. nice and quick.

Personally im not seeing anything goo about either handhel yet. I couldnt give two shats about specs. wheres the proper games? metroid primee hunters is the only thing that has caught my eye.

theres been rumours of them making pokemon massively multiplayer. now I havnt played pokemon since the red one but jesus that sounds deadly.

Advertisement