Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

[article]U-21s have class to make a real impact

• 03-09-2004 9:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭

U-21s have class to make a real impact
    David Kelly

FEW, if any, Ireland U-21 teams of a recent vintage could boast two Champions League players amongst their ranks, but that's what the current crop has in Liverpool's Darren Potter and Celtic's Aidan McGeady.

And, while manager Don Givens will understandably decry the desire for European Championship qualification, stressing instead the need to maintain his role as the final link in Irish football's conveyor belt, tonight's game against Cyprus at Buckley Park (7.30) promises to be the start of something special for this talented squad.

While McGeady's Champions League debut for Celtic will be delayed until Wednesday week's clash with Barcelona, Scouser Potter has already represented Liverpool in their successful qualifier against AK Graz last month.

"It was brilliant," beamed the midfielder who starred at last year's World Youth Cup.

"I played on the right hand side of midfield and I thought I did alright."

Potter is confident that this Irish side can fulfil its potential and banish the nightmares of so many recent disappointing qualification campaigns.

"I'm really looking forward to it," added Potter, once a best pal of Wayne Rooney.

"I don't know what they are going to be like but it looks like a good game for us to start off our qualifying campaign.

"We're 12 games unbeaten, but that all goes out the window now because it's all about the three points.

"We have a lot of good players playing first team football at the minute and, although we don't know much about them, if we go on our squad we've got a chance."

Givens is equally upbeat about his charges as they aim for a winning start before heading off to Switzerland on Sunday.

"In theory, this is the easiest of our games but we'll have to be at our sharpest because, as we have learned too often in the past, one mistake can kill you at this level," he said.

Givens makes one change from the side which beat Bulgaria in a friendly last month, with fit again Spurs right-back Stephen Kelly coming in for Henry McStay.

REP OF IRELAND U-21
    - Henderson (Aston Villa); Kelly (Spurs), McCarthy (Manchester City), Fitzgerald (Blackburn Rovers), Capper (Scarborough); McGeady (Celtic), Potter (Liverpool), Whelan (Sheffield Wednesday), Kearney (Cork City); Doyle (Coventry City), Elliott (Sunderland).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Let's hope so. Ireland U-21s have never come higher than 3rd in a group since their inception so to even get the runners up spot this time round would be an achievment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

Ireland U21s knock three past Cyprus

Don Givens sees his side stretch their unbeaten run to 13 games.
    Friday, September 03 2004 10:45

http://www.rte.ie/sport/2004/0903/under21s.html

Filed by Rob Wright

The Republic of Ireland under-21 side showed stretched their unbeaten run to 13 games and got their European Championship qualifying campaign off to the perfect start with a 3-0 victory over Cyprus.

Don Givens side controlled affairs from start to finish but had to endure a frustrating first half-hour as they were unable to breach the Cypriot defence.

Stephen Elliott had the first real chance of the game after just 20 seconds when his rasping effort was saved by Cypriot goalkeeper Demetris Stylianou. Cyprus were on the back-foot and only some last-ditch defending prevented Ireland from breaking the deadlock.

A neat passing move involving Elliott and Glen Whelan on the 33rd minute saw Celtic's Aidan McGeady taking a 20-yard pot-shot, but his effort cleared the crossbar before Ireland finally made their dominance count a minute later.

Whelan, making his under-21 debut, was played in by a neat ball from Elliott and blasted the ball into the roof of the Cypriot net from 15 yards to given Given's side a well deserved lead.

Elliott was at the heart of the action on 49 minutes when Ireland doubled their lead. His constant trickery was a thorn in the side of Cyprus' defence and when he was hacked down just outside the area Whelan floated in a teasing ball that John Fitzgerald headed home.

Ireland were cruising by this stage and Given's men wrapped things up when Liverpool midfielder Darren Potter crossed for Kevin Doyle to tap home on the 78th minute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

REP OF IRELAND U-21- Henderson (Aston Villa); Kelly (Spurs), McCarthy (Manchester City), Fitzgerald (Blackburn Rovers), Capper (Scarborough); McGeady (Celtic), Potter (Liverpool), Whelan (Sheffield Wednesday), Kearney (Cork City); Doyle (Coventry City), Elliott (Sunderland).
    Considering I rarely ever get my prediction for the first team correct I'm shocked I predicted the U21 team a couple of weeks ago. :D

http://foot.ie/forums/showthread.php?t=16778

It by far and away the best bunch we've ever had at this level and I'd be really suprised if they don't qualify. I hope Kerr doesn't call up the likes of McGeady unless they are going to play. I'd prefer the U-21's qualifying rather than bringing players into the full squad for cover.

Advertisement