Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vuelta A Espana - starts Sat. 4th Sept.

Options
  • 03-09-2004 9:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 41

"The Vuelta is arguably the most unpredictable -- and just maybe the most enjoyable -- spectator stage race of the year."

"The race defies the traditional (and predictable) Tour de France topographical plan, instead exploiting Spain's varied terrain to create an exciting mixed bag of bike racing."

"join eurosport.com on September 4 for stage-by-stage LIVE! coverage of the three-week race!"

Some names you'll recognise:

Roberto Heras, Francisco Mancebo, Denis Menchov, Stuart O'Grady, Francesco Casagrande, Tyler Hamilton, Oscar Sevilla Ribera, Nicolas Jalabert, Joseba Beloki, Carlos Sastre, Alexandre Vinokourov, Erik Zabel, Stefano Garzelli, Floyd Landis, Víctor Hugo Peña, Manuel Beltran

http://www.eurosport.com/home/pages/V4/L0/S18/E6359/sport_Lng0_Spo18_Evt6359.shtml

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭da_deadman

I'm glad to see that Petacchi is back to winning ways. After his amzing success at the Giro, he has had a few falls but at least now he has won another stage in a major tour.

I'm looking forward to the racing over the next few weeks. There are a lot of people looking to do well here. And the course is perfect for an exciting race. Maybe the tour de france should follow the Vuelta's example, shorter stages with more hilly/ mountainous stages to generate more attacks and unpredictable racing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭da_deadman

4 stages gone, and it's going true to form and expectations so far I think. 2 proper sprint finishes and 2 wins for Alessandro Petacchi, an uphill finish (even if it was only an unranked climb) and Valverde wins, and a team time trial and US Postal win. No surprises so far.

It's looking like it could be an exciting few weeks in Spain, the uphill finish in stage 3 showed that a lot of the likely contenders for the overall win are in good form and ready for some racing. In the group of 11 with Valverde that finished a few seconds ahead of the peloton was Menchov, Mancebo, Heras, Gonzalez, Garzelli, Cunego, Evans, Vinokourov, and all of these guys will take every chance to gain time on the main time triallists like Nozal and Hamilton who came home 5 seconds down in a smaller group, before the peloton came in at 15 seconds. Of the favourites it was Joseba Beloki who didn't show at the front, and he finished in the pack.

I can't wait for the hills... :D

Advertisement