Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

My Architect

• 03-09-2004 10:22am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭

Went to see 'My Architect' last night at IFI. I thought it was a really good film/documentary about Louis Kahn and his buildings and life. Definitely a good film to see if you are interested in this type of thing....

Anyone else see it? Views? Comments?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭herobear

i saw it on wednesday just by chance, thought it was absolutely brilliant!
    i dont have a particular interest in architecture so i was unsure at first if i was going to enjoy this, but i was quickly gripped by nathaniels journey and there were some very much equally funny and touching testimonials, i thought it was especially surprising to see how many lives he had touched through his works of art. And although im not a huge fan of architecture, i couldnt help but "wow" at some of his works(especially the later ones).
    im just sad i missed this until now, espescially seeing as yesterday was its last day in the ifi. will be definately picking this up on dvd!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

I saw it last night as well and really enjoyed it. It was great to see the progression in Kahn's work - some of his earlier works (the horrible medical labs and the bath house) seemed a bit dull but then, you could see his ideas really take form in the California and Bangladesh buildings (that last one is outstanding). This film has gotten me thinking about buildings a lot and I especailly like the idea of buildings that have the feel of ancient monuments.

As for the film itself-it was well made, well paced. I began to cringe a bit when the Ode to Joy was played but then, the point was also made that Kahn's life had less noble aspects to it as well. The narrator was thoughtful and intelligent - no whiney moaning about his father not marrying his mother although you could see that that was something that had pained him in the past.

So, thumbs up then!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 673 ✭✭✭pearsquasher

Yep... saw it last week. 2 huge Kenny Everet thumbs up for drama/narative/visuals and pace. My father is somebody i don't know well so i could empathise compltely with the film-makers quest to know his dad. The film title says it all.

There were some great characters in there too providing both comic and poignant moments. It was a docu-movie that showed a lovely side to different cultures through architecture. It also let us glimpse at one our human nature and how we deal with death, fate, family and ambition. There was also an interesting look at the role of women in the period the subject lived.

A real treat. Here's to having more documnetaries on the big screen!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Watched it last night at the Kino and really enjoyed it, can't really offer much more than what's been said before. Maybe it's me being a great big girly man but I thought there were some very poigniant moments in the film that showed a lot about what Louis Khan was like as a person (
    like when Nathaniel reveals that he is Louis' son to the owner of the boat, who goes silent and wipes tears from his eyes; or the last person interviewed in the film, in the Bangladesh assembly, who fights back the tears as he talks about the effects Khan's legacy will have on the people of bangladesh and their country
    ). The Bangladesh National Assembly building is amazing, and even then I doubt that they were able to do it justice given the limited time they had to spend on it in the documentary.

I agree that his early buildings are a bit manky to say the least (the first one reminds me of those tower blocks that were so popular in the UK in the 70s); did anyone else get the impression that Louis had broken his own rule about not respecting the materials he was building with for those buildings?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭Chad ghostal

GAh!! fix your spoilers Fysh.. was reading fast through that and got caught.. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

GAh!! fix your spoilers Fysh.. was reading fast through that and got caught.. :mad:

Sorry, saw that (and went in to fix) as soon as I'd posted...d'oh!

Advertisement