Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Open University Course - A103

Options
  • 19-08-2004 11:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭

Just signed up for A103: An Introduction to the Humanities to start in October, with the hope of going on to a BA in literature. It's my first course with the OU, so I'm excited and slightly nervous. I finished my photography degree over 4 years ago, and I haven't studied literature since my A-Levels in the UK over 8 years ago!

Anyone had any experience with A103? Or thoughts about OU courses in general? I'm going to have to work hard to motivate myself, but the huge chunk of cash I've laid out should hopefully be incitement enough. ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I did A103 last year. Not too bad a course, and a good way to "ease" into the OU thing. The good thing about it is that if you don't like one subject (i.e. philosophy) it's over soon enough, and you'll start on the next. The negative (I found) is that it's pretty much an assignment a month, so if you're working and doing everything else it can get a bit frustrating.

All in all though, I'd recommend it as a good starting point. I'd done a few courses with the OU before, but I still found it reasonably stimulating. If it's your first course, make sure to work through the prepatory material that will arrive in your first mailing - it's a big help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Kalikat

Thanks, BuffyBot! I'm dribbling over 'Approaching Literature,' but I thought I should ease myself in gently, and I understand that the level 1 courses have far more support than the later ones. You're doing A210, aren't you? How are you finding the workload?

I'm dying for my first mailing to arrive, but I haven't even recieved my registration letter yet! I have recieved confirmation of my OUSBA account, though, so at least I know my registration didn't get lost in the post. I'm itching to get started on the preparatory material, so I'm contenting myself with reading the set texts and the study guide, nerd that I am.

Thanks again for the info!

A210 is a devil of a course (quite hard for level 2) but it has it's enjoyable moments. I'd definitely recommend having A103 under your belt before trying A210.

Good luck with A103 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭leuler

I would love to do A103 this year, just worried about the time that it would take up. I was just wondering how much time would be required per week and is there a lot of reading involved.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

The course information page will have a link to a thing that will help you estimate the time required and they're usually pretty accurate.

• Advertisement

I agree with ecksor, the estimate given by the OU is pretty accurate for A103

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Kalikat

I'm working through my A103 prep materials at the moment. They estimate about 16 hours a week for the course, but I think most people get away with less. I think it all really depends how much you want to get out of the course - I'm probably doing a bit more work than I need to, but it's for my own interest and enjoyment. I can't wait to really get started in October!

Good luck with A210, Buffybot - is your exam approaching?

Kalikat wrote:
    I'm working through my A103 prep materials at the moment. They estimate about 16 hours a week for the course, but I think most people get away with less. I think it all really depends how much you want to get out of the course - I'm probably doing a bit more work than I need to, but it's for my own interest and enjoyment. I can't wait to really get started in October!

Good luck with A210, Buffybot - is your exam approaching?

It can take less, but as you get further in it will eat up more and more time ;)

And yup, my exam for A210 is coming up - 15th of October :eek:

Advertisement