Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does this mean " mms-ntf " ???

Options
  • 03-09-2004 12:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭

For about 2/3 months now i've got about 10 text messages entitled mms-ntf ...

when i open the the message the message reads Message cannot be displayed here ...

Sender:
    mms-ntf

Sent:
    3-Sept-2004
    10:23:53

does anyone know what this means ?

I done a search on google and got nothing !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

What type of phone do you have? I am guessing you do not have an MMS handset and that that your phone is enabled to recieve MMS messages on the network end of things. What you are reading maybe the WAP push message that instructs your phone to go and retrieve an MMS waiting on the MMSC for you.

Guessing!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭FT77

well the phone i get those messages on is Nokia 3330.... but i also have a Nokia 3100.....

thats why it seems so strange...... because my mates do never say to me did ya get the pic i sent ya ? ... because they'd send it to my 3100.... i know the mms works on my 3100 because i've tried it and it works ......

i've been getting the messages for about 3 months as i said.... but know one i know ever said anything about an mms message ??????

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Celticwarrior

FT77 wrote:
    For about 2/3 months now i've got about 10 text messages entitled mms-ntf ...

when i open the the message the message reads Message cannot be displayed here ...

Sender:
    mms-ntf

Sent:
    3-Sept-2004

does anyone know what this means ?

I done a search on google and got nothing !
    When i look through my log on my nokia 6600 i also see that, and i see it at times that i got a delivery report for an mms

i just rang Meteor to ask them what this was, i was talking to a woman in the gprs & mms settings area and i explained my problem...... she said she didn't know what it was but she was going to send it to the "problem solving department" :) and they will get back to me .......

so i just logged into my Meteor acc online and clicked on "View Your Calls" and got this for this mms-ntf thing ? ....... :eek:

Call Date
    03 Sep 04 10:32:50

Time Duration (hh:mm:ss)
    0:0:00

Network Number
    Meteor MSAlert

Total Charge

the sim card i get the messages on i got over the phone ie i rang customer care and they posted the sim to me (€100 Free Credit = Yes Please) and that was about 1 year ago and i was using a Nokia 3310 then ??

so it's very confusing :confused: ........

i don't remember subscribing to any mms thing with Meteor ??

do Meteor have such a mms subscribing yolk ??????????? :eek:

The 3100 is an MMS phone, the 3330 is not.

Assuming Meteor are under the impression you have a 3100, they will have configured you as being MMS on the network.

When you insert your sim in the 3330 and a MMS is sent to you, you will get the message that you pasted above. This message is an instruction for you phone to retrieve an MMS, but the 3330 does not understand it so just displays it as a message recieved.

While you have your sim in the 3100, your phone recieves the message and goes to download the MMS. The reason it does not download the MMS could be either a problems with the settings of your handset or the networks that apply specifically to receiving MMS. It is possible to be able to send a MMS but not be able to receive them.

As for Meteor's "Problem Solving Dept", I wouldnt hold out for much of an explanation. If you do, make sure to post up what they say...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

FT77 wrote:
    i don't remember subscribing to any mms thing with Meteor ??
    do Meteor have such a mms subscribing yolk ??????????? :eek:

make sure you haven't been subscribed to one of their MMS Alerts - they offer news/entertainment/etc. items that are sent to your phone and you get charged for each one

As for Meteor's "Problem Solving Dept", I wouldnt hold out for much of an explanation.

well hopefully they will be quicker in sorting it compared to the almost five months it took to resolve one of my [url=MMS issues with Vodafone

I have two phones on meteor with two numbers, one is a 3100 and the other is a 3330 !

My Nokia 3100 which i got about 2 months ago from xtra-vision.... is set up with mms and gprs settings because i rang meteor and asked them to send them to me.......... and they work fine on it .....

The sim i use in my Nokia 3330 is the oldest of my two numbers (1 year) .... which was NEVER set up for mms or gprs ! .... ?????????

Also the mms-ntf thing i keep getting sent to me now and then, i am been charged 30cent each time...... :mad:

FT77 wrote:
    Also the mms-ntf thing i keep getting sent to me now and then, i am been charged 30cent each time...... :mad:
    Yeah, this is why I am sure your sim is configured for MMS on the network and them sending you an MMS is the cause of you getting the mms-ntf thing..
    well hopefully they will be quicker in sorting it compared to the almost five months it took to resolve one of my MMS issues with Vodafone
    Ok what relevence is this to the thread?? I assume it is for my benefit.

My problem with the "Problem solving department" is that it sounds like a fob off..

Yeah, this is why I am sure your sim is configured for MMS on the network and them sending you an MMS is the cause of you getting the mms-ntf thing..

No sorry your wrong !!!

Why would Meteor send me an mms message to my 3330 and not my 3100 ??????????????

Does anyone else get mms messages from Meteor ??????????????? ie - like the ones i'm getting.....

I haven't subscribed to ANY mms service from Meteor !!!

Ok what relevence is this to the thread?? I assume it is for my benefit.

My problem with the "Problem solving department" is that it sounds like a fob off..

to be honest i love the meteor network (Serious) ....

when i got my 3100 2 months back, i having some gprs connection problems - ie some areas i was in it didn't work ? my job was one place it didn't work "sometimes" .... so i got on to them........ and after a few days it was working grand..... the next week the same guy i was talking to rang me back to ask me how was i getting on with my gprs connection !!!

oh yeah and i got €1 free credit on my 3100 2day from them and €4.50 on my 3330.................... :D

GREAT NETWORK !

• Advertisement

FT77 wrote:
    No sorry your wrong !!!

Why would Meteor send me an mms message to my 3330 and not my 3100 ??????????????
    I may be wrong, but can you provide an alternative as to what may be happening?

Have you ever put that sim that is inserted into your 3100, into your 3330?

Ok what relevence is this to the thread??

to encourage him to keep following it up so his MMS issue didn't end up dragging on for so long like mine

or maybe they way that CSR decided to explain they had to refer it elsewhere - much in the way other operator's CSR have to refer to 'technical support department' etc...

I may be wrong, but can you provide an alternative as to what may be happening?
    FT77 wrote:
    i just rang Meteor to ask them what this was, i was talking to a woman in the gprs & mms settings area and i explained my problem...... she said she didn't know what it was but she was going to send it to the "problem solving department" :) and they will get back to me .......
    Have you ever put that sim that is inserted into your 3100, into your 3330?

no !

in the MMS Alerts link Dubwireless put up, there is no option to subscribe to a 10 random mms service over 2/3 months !

http://www.meteor.ie/services/alerts_mms.html

I get the impression you do not actually want to accept my attempt to provide an explanation of what may be occurring..

Just so I am clear as to what is happening. You are intermittingly recieving a text message containting:

Sender:
    mms-ntf

Sent:
    3-Sept-2004

When you check your call details on Meteor's website, you are being charged for what looks like a Meteor MMS Information Service that costs 30cent each.

The phone number that is being sent the MMS is being used in a Nokia 3330 which is not an MMS phone.

The fact that Meteor seems to be sending you MMS suggests that your account is set up for MMS on their side.

As I have attempted to explain already, the mms-ntf message seems to be a type of WAP push message that is used by the MMSC to notify your phone that their is a MMS message waiting to be downloaded on the operators MMSC.

If you were using an MMS compatible handset, the handset would go off and download the MMS and you would not see the Meteor-ntf message at all. The fact that the 3330 does not support MMS and was released long before MMS came about, means that the phone does not interpret the messages purpose correctly and just displays it as an MMS received..

To verify whether what I said is remotely correct, try the following:

- Call Meteor and ask whether you are subscribed to an MMS info service
    - Ask them if your phone number is enabled for MMS on their side
    - Put the same phone number's sim card into an MMS compatible phone with the hope that Meteor will send you an MMS and the MMS phone will download it, thus you will know exactly what is going on.

I am gonna put my neck on the line here and suggest that mms-ntf means MMS Notification..

ok yes you could be very well be right but i can't understand why i have only got 10 mms-ntf yolk'es in 2/3 months............

ok that's it i'll ring them now and find out what's going on............ :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

They're probably messages *from* meteor, like the ones you get from 1741 if you're on o2, telling you about new offers etc... but instead of being SMS they're MMS

ok i just got of the phone with meteor....... they can't tell me what it means :rolleyes: ...... while i was on the phone to them i was in on my meteor acc and was looking through my texts and noticed i've been getting this message every week at 10:30 approx for the last few months ! ..... the guy said he couldn't get into my acc to see what i was talking about :rolleyes: ........

so i just said to him that i'll put the sim in my 3100 on the 10th before 10:30am and see what comes up.........

I bet it was my sister subscribing to something on MY phone :mad: :rolleyes:

jimi_t wrote:
    They're probably messages *from* meteor, like the ones you get from 1741 if you're on o2, telling you about new offers etc... but instead of being SMS they're MMS

yeah but i'm been charged 30c each time :mad: ... i don't think it's any offers...

FT77 wrote:
    i was in on my meteor acc and was looking through my texts and noticed i've been getting this message every week at 10:30 approx for the last few months !

yeah but i'm been charged 30c each time :mad: ... i don't think it's any offers...

now you have worked out it is happening on a regular/weekly bases and you are being charged 30c it does look like one of the Meteor MMS Alerts... did you ask if they could see if you are subscribed to any?

BrianG

no as i said the guy said he couldn't see my account ?
    FT77 wrote:
    the guy said he couldn't get into my acc to see what i was talking about :rolleyes: ........

by the way the first thing he said to me was, is the battery low on your phone as this effects the s/w of the phone :rolleyes: ....

i'd suggest you call back later - it can be a bit of a lottery calling any of the operator's customer care teams as unfortunately the knowledge / troubleshooting skills can vary widely :(

although if they can't see your account then maybe the accounting system is unavailable to them at the moment, ask when it will be available again or call back later/tomorrow

• Advertisement

i know :rolleyes: LOL.......

yeah good idea i'll ring them 2moro, they should have more ppl on then and that should give me a better chance ! :)

This happened to me too last night. A friend of mine tried to send an MMS to my Meteor phone, but I had the SIM card in a Nokia 3310 at the time. Just came as an SMS from mms-ntf with "Message cannot be displayed here".
    Meteor use mms-ntf, while O2 use an 086 number that I can't remember (it certainly doesn't match the number of the sender).

D'oh, seems like I'll have to make up my mind over what phone to use for which SIM. :confused: I have a Motorola V300 and a Nokia 3310, with Meteor and O2 SIM cards.

Seems like my reason may have hit the mark.

Nothing worse when you don't know what the cause of problems are..

Advertisement