Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Solaris

• 03-09-2004 1:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭

I'm refering to the 1972 Tarkovsky rendering of this incredible story.
    I haven't seen it, but apparently, Bach's Cantata "ich ruf' zu dir" BWV639 features real big on it.
    I want to know, how big? You see I reckon that if I get the dvd, then I don't need the audio recording at all.
    I've looked and the BWV639 is not up there among the best loved Bach Cantatas, but I've heard a clip of an organ passage, and it's amazing.
    Is the cantata the whole musical backdrop to the movie?
    Opinions on people who've seen it, is what I'd like.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭stabu

This is me replying to myself, some 15 months later. In the meantime, I have seen this film and state that quite definitely no. Only a small piece of this cantata, basically an organ prelude of some sort, is used in this movie. I think it´s used some three times in total.

The film has little music in fact. Overall I was disappointed. Whatever aesthetic value it may have, it is also rather sloppy. Sure, that reflects the conditions he was working in, but its parts don't fit so well together. Actually I prefer the Soderbergh´s modern version with Clooney.

Advertisement