Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Comreg spins the highest LLU charge

Options
  • 03-09-2004 1:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭

Comreg attempts a pathetic spin on LLU:

45% reduction in charges for operators using eircom exchanges for Local Loop Unbundling

http://www.comreg.ie/_fileupload/publications/PR030904.pdf

Uhh uhh we still have the highest Line rental in the EU. The worst copper in the EU and no USO basic rate "functional internet access" set yet.

Thanks Comreg.

New! improved! ashtray on my motorbike

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭eircomtribunal

bealtine wrote:
    Comreg attempts a pathetic spin on LLU

From the shameless document: "ComReg welcomes this reduction in prices as it will help to stimulate further takeup of local loop unbundling by operators."

P.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Eircom cuts fees for exchange access
    Friday, September 03 2004
    by Deirdre McArdle

It was announced on Friday that Eircom had cut by 45 percent certain fees associated with local loop unbundling, but critics say the move does not go far enough.

The decision by Eircom, which was approved by ComReg, will see a reduction of 45 percent on the cost that other fixed-line telecoms operators face for using space in Eircom's telephone exchanges. The reduction in costs could mean that telecoms -- particularly those aiming to deliver broadband -- won't incur as high a cost when seeking to install their own equipment in the exchanges.

The latest reductions, in conjunction with a related agreement between the regulator and Eircom earlier this week, "will contribute to stimulating more competition here to the benefit of consumers," said John Doherty, chairperson of ComReg, in a statement. Doherty's office noted that fees as high as EUR12,000 for surveys and space in exchanges would fall to EUR6,250 per exchange as result of the new reductions.

Telecoms companies that want to offer broadband without buying services on a wholesale basis from Eircom must install their own hardware in Eircom's network in a process that's commonly referred to as local loop unbundling (LLU).

[...]

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

There's a thread about this already, so I'm merging this into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

bealtine wrote:
    Comreg attempts a pathetic spin on LLU:

45% reduction in charges for operators using eircom exchanges for Local Loop Unbundling

http://www.comreg.ie/_fileupload/publications/PR030904.pdf

First of all y'all should download ,

1. The Current Access Reference Offer

and ESPECIALLY

2. The Current Access Reference Offer Price List

The Price list is quite astonishing, Eircom charge for every single possible service like opening a door or answering a phone. I make the NUMBER of separate charges out to be about 50. You will incur all of these by the time you have unbundled One Line from any exchange in Ireland sometimes more than once .

Comreg have effectively said that these charges (50 odd ) are to be reduced by 45% , I take it that means across the Board . A new version of the Price List is due imminently so one should expect 50 separate price reductions in the order of 45% average and/or gross . Thats if you believe Comreg which I for one do not. The charges for "Surveys and Offers" referred to by Buttsy comprise only part of the package of 50 chargeable services for a LLU operator from Eircom I make it c.7 out of 50 . Some of these charges have actually Gone Up is that not so Buttsy ?

We shall all know very shortly :(

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Muck wrote:
    The charges for "Surveys and Offers" referred to by Buttsy comprise only part of the package of 50 chargeable services for a LLU operator from Eircom I make it c.7 out of 50 . Some of these charges have actually Gone Up is that not so Buttsy ?

As predicted the price list for LLU has been publshed since my last post on the issue so <bump>

The NEW price list is Here so I busied myself looking for these 45% reductions that Buttsy trumpeted in his Press Release for Comreg.

I was wrong about one thing, none of the prices went up , the vast majority were unchanged. . I was on the right track when I stated that the reductions would be insignificant. Of the 50 odd separate charges only 4 out or 50 were dropped. ( 3 further ones are composites of site survey reports and site offers arrived at by adding 2 of those 4)

For an EXISTING LLU OPERATOR (ESAT) there have been no reductions WHATSOEVER either in the actual charges or in the bewildering NUMBER of charges. The 45% reduction trumpeted by Comreg applies to one step in the LU process, namely that of getting a report and an offer from Eircom to get your kit into an exchange. Once you are in the charges are as high as ever.

For the record the Old Price List is Here and attched below lest it go walkies

45% Reduction my arse, Comreg simply lied to cover their ineptitude yet again. !

M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

Thats mad, you as an operator have to pay for the time your engineers spend on site in the exchange. Thats a pile of Crap.

As for the other charges, there all nuts. I can't see why eircom can't give one charge for this sort of thing.

You can be damn sure that co-location providers like DEG, servcentric give fixed costings which are obvious and managable. Eircom obviously employee people to make documents like this as impossible to comprehend as possible.

madness.

Paul

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

I didn't go through all that in detail, but doesn't the reduction basically apply to the monthly "line rental"? Most of the other stuff seems to be pre-install charges and exchange space rental. I have no idea if those charges are reasonable or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

Blaster99 wrote:
    I have no idea if those charges are reasonable or not.

The monthly rental drop will mean nothing. It won't make a difference at all when compared to the other set-up charges. I'll be releasing a document hopefully next week with the LLU pricing and how much it work's out to.

The rental of a tiny section of an exchange, cost of electricity and all these various "admin" charges are what are preventing proper LLU in this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭eircomtribunal

damien.m wrote:
    The monthly rental drop will mean nothing. It won't make a difference at all when compared to the other set-up charges.

They are both equally important.

In the UK Ofcom has not only reduced the monthly LLU pricing by 70% (for shared unbundling, no decision on full unbundling yet; shared unbundling in the UK will soon cost some 3.50 euros/month compared with our 9 euros/month), but also acted on making LLU a reality by dealing with the additional costs and procedures.

"We" often criticised Esat/BT for "pocketing" the grants to unbundle some exchanges and then not doing anything with it. The reason they did not proceed was a very simple one: They made huge losses due to the ancillary costs of Eircom's unbundling charges. A good part of these gov grants to Esat/BT basically went to Eircom. And with the high monthly LLU cost, it was not feasible to offer consumer products on the exchanges, so they just offered a token ( too expensive to succeed) 256 Kb/s broadband product to fulfil their grant obligations. Nolan then still had hoped the Regulator (ODTR) would intervene – but when we see the idiocy and inaptitude of Comreg today - his hopes were unfounded.
    Of course Nolan could not cry "foul" all that loud, as his parent company BT was at the same game of obstructing LLU happening back home. Things have changed since and BT seem to "accept" most of OFCOM's decisions and work with the regulator.

Comreg have to be challenged about
    a) their idiotic decisions an
    b) their lying.

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭viking

These are the only differences I can find:

AROdiff.jpg

Still way too expensive to make it viable for OLO's.

V

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Do you guys talk to the likes of EsatBT or other potential LLU users to hear what they think the problems are?

Advertisement