Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

12 Bore Shotgun Slugs

Options
  • 03-09-2004 1:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭

Rifle Slugs for Shotgun:

I was using up to about 6 Months ago, 12 Bore Shotgun Slugs the Winchester Variety 2 3/4 Inch.

Now I was legally Purchasing these in Newry,Co.Down with my southern Irish License.

This now is no longer an option the owner of the shop has told me, I need an EU License ???

Okay Call the Cops, they told me 1) It was illegal what they were doing and 2) There was no such thing.

Now I have no issues getting licenses with them because of my Military background etc but I am wondering is this just one dealer in the North or did they all do this or still do it.

My Last question is I would like to purchase these rounds as when use in conjunction with a semi or pump shotgun with a Ghost sight fitted they a very accurate for dropping foxes etc but also very powerful hence have to be used in a very safe manner.

We did a test a few years ago in the army and the round acutually penetrated a Landrover will light armour.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭woody

Anyone know any shops that sell them or order them Opps!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

There's nothing specifically banning slugs in Ireland, but most shops are reluctant to sell them because the main use of them is for poaching deer. Best bet is to ring around.

Buying them in the North was illegal on two fronts, the dealer there shouldn't have sold the ammunition to you without a NI firearms cert, and you were importing the ammuniton into the Republic without a licence.

I don't reckon the slugs would be great for foxes myself, way too much power, high chance of ricochets, and like you say, all that penetration. The only advantage would be a much lower range than for a centrefire rifle, so less chance of the rounds landing miles away if you miss, but this works both ways, you'd have better range with a 22 magnum, and once the foxes get wary, you'll have a hell ofa job getting inside 100yards of them.

What's wrong with a Hornet or a Magnum? Ammunition for them will be cheaper than slugs.

Thanks for that....

Intresting he has been doing it for years...

Tallaght Rod and gun just rang them there do sell them expensive although

100 euros for 100 rounds..

I have a thing about magnums and hornets always thought they were to expensive just like using the shotgun as a multi purpose weapon.

I have a BRNO ZKM 452 for rabbits etc and I have used it for 10 years.

I would love for target shooting an accuracy international but alas mil spec and hence unattianable :(

Accuracy International will sell their AW model, just they'll ask for about STG 4-5k for it :)

They make an AE model now, which is quite similar and sells for around STG1800.

Have you a link by any chance ??

• Advertisement

thanks

Advertisement