Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Comps // Tournies

• 03-09-2004 3:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭

Submit suggestions for tournies.

Try to keep in mind the number of "Winner(s)" produced at the end for the purposes of dealing out prizes etc.

I want to have a good section of "Free Play" at this lan too, we're not GameCon ;)

My suggestions:

Some sort of Battlefield (8v8 or something, may end up with token prizes ;))

Quake3 - either duels or CTF or something - OSP more than likely.

CS - 4v4, set maps, concurrent matches in early rounds, final round best of 3 random maps.
    probaly 1.6 thanks to Caliden's trawling through Steam forum posts and other similar dross to find the command parameter to disable steam's need for net access to run a linux LAN server...
    Steam still sucks sweaty balls btw

Doom3 4-way Deathmatch twisted.gif

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Fobia

How about some ut2k4 duels?

I havent really played the game much yet, but the best way to play seems to with air control 1.5 (I think), ut comp mod (for warmup etc) and maybe quadjump.

Of course I'm always pimping qw, but how abouts a game of CA? Most people seemed to enjoy it at gl8. Some kind of fun prize is all that's necessary, I'll put together a small qw duels tourni where you put a fiver into a pot to play etc if there is enough interest.

I have the CA server and know how to use it - there's a ut2k4 dedicated server available from their website http://www.unrealtournament.com/ut2004/downloads.php

I'm not sure on whether the retail server runs on linux or not, but the demo version does........of course that map......what's it's name....osiris or something, the main duel one, if they have that then it'll be good crack :)

que

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭NeoSlicerZ

A Natural Selection tournie would be cool, doubt it would happen though.... maybe on a CO map instead of a NS map?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

STEAM-ified gheyness.

Neo - it's a great game, but damn-all people know how to play it.

Asok would just end up pwning everyone.

We can lure Asok away with number6......I have ns on a cd here somewhere

ut2k4? CA? So much left unanswered, so little time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭timeout

I'd like to see a Serious Sam deathmatch or/and ET.
    Both would be firsts time tourni's for Galway Lan.

Timeout

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Number6

I'm not going to be your bait youth.

I suggest an opflash tourny, A huge map with 16V16 last one standing rules or a small 4V4 game with sniper rifles and stuff.

A BF lan sounds good. Could it be 1942 and not DC tho, because the planes go too fast :)

Just got pro-mode for q3, it ****ing owns.

Like osp, you can do the strafe jump and keep jumping to gain speed trick that some believe is bunny hopping (wrong), and you can also move in the air, which is cool for dodging and ****.

This is alot better than OSP. Who's up for it at the next'un?

que

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

What is bunny hopping so ?

Bunny hopping: jumping rythmically without holding +forward while moving in the air in order to gain speed.

The simple bunny hop: Go to a map with a long straight line (speed), perform a strafe jump by looking to the left side, holding the forward and right keys, then at a moderate pace, move the mouse until you are facing forwards, jump. Then you must keep jumping without moving on the ground (worth a bit of practise first). Next, you must release the forward key, keep jumping in that rythm, you'll notice that you can now move the mouse in any direction without losing any speed or turning. Next, the actual bunny hop; you must, just when you hit the ground, press left and hold it, while in the air, move the mouse slowly to the left, when you hit the ground again (and jump obviously), press right and hold it, while in the air, move the mouse slowly to the right. Doing this you will gradually keep gaining speed.

Of course, there are shortcuts and alot harder methods of performing the bunny hop, but it would take hours to write out all of them, I learnt by watching better people than me bunny in demos.

Hope this helps,

dave

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

i bunny hopped yore sister

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

I typedef'd your sister.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

err, just to let ya know. Bunny hopping comes about from a warped physics engine. As far as im aware, I not 100% certain, but i think id wont be allowing it in future games. Especially with the new Engine being used. But dont quote me on that since i havent read up too much on it.

Joodee: correct. But wall hugging, strafe jumping and bunny hopping ALL came from bugs, they will probably leave out bunny hopping, but mods will bring it back, as cpma has for q3.

que

SyxPak wrote:
    STEAM-ified gheyness.

Neo - it's a great game, but damn-all people know how to play it.

Asok would just end up pwning everyone.
    John, the co style maps instead of the 'ns' ones would work a treat, NS style combat :D without the logistics

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

cs has to be 5v5. sorry, but its **** otherwise.

q3 1v1's woul dbe cool, osp.

ut2k4, no one knows how to play this / the maps so it'd end up being ****.

battlefield, no comment. except that its bollocks.

ns? hahaha

OSP it is so, I've volunteered to admin the server but if anyone thinks they can do a better job then go for it.

btw, you might want to try out cpma before the wan tho, you can download the small client at like 2 megs, but it doesn't come with any of the maps. You can do all the movement in OSP, but you can have a go at taking off the forward key and jumping around, too.

Before ye accuse me of trying to fix the tourni, anyone who's seen me play can verify that I don't play q3.......and I suck at it :)

que

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

Wh00t. Time to get my Quake 3 skills on!

you coming to this lan jp?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

CS 5v5,
    QW 2 on 2 and 1 on 1
    Q3 whatever... 5 on 5
    Battlefield 1942 something V something, 4 teams???
    NS, I'd be willing to give it a go if it twas easy to set up and ready to go on my PC
    I'll give anything competitive a go.
    Halo, I don't think it will be played
    C&C Zerohour, 1V1
    W3, TFT or one of those new add ons. 1V1, or 2V2
    for 2v2 in any game --> n00b and l33t on a team. that way the n00b (me) would learn quicker and have a bit of fun.
    UT2K4, I've played it a few times, its ok... when ur winning I guess, maps are too big for the likes of onslaught, I've not played much else, I've not completed it
    Doom3, I don't think that will happen.
    Farcry, I don't think that will happen.
    opflash, tbh, I've never played it... looks like there is interest in it.
    America's army, blah
    Some other fps where the gun moves, blah to that too.

Sniipe wrote:
    NS, I'd be willing to give it a go if it twas easy to set up and ready to go on my PC
    I'll give anything competitive a go.
    W3, TFT or one of those new add ons. 1V1
    Yes, please! :) With patch 1.17. Who was that guy i murdered in WC3 : TFT last time?

• Advertisement

i'd play zero hour :)

Sniipe wrote:
    QW 2 on 2 and 1 on 1

If there's interest I'll run whatever needs to be run in qw, if not then we should just stick to q3 cpma.

I've given up,
    que

we are playing q3 OSP

end of story.

It's been discussed, and decided upon.

It's gonna be cpma.

que

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

Excuse my ignorants to Quake 3 but what is OSP as opposed to cpma? Q3 is too colourful and random for me. But as I said I'll give anything a go. Then if I like it I'll stick with it.
    I bought CS CZ recently and am playing that quite a bit, it very fun...

Osp is vanilla q3 with some minor interface adjustments etc.
    Cpma (or promode) is q3 with q1 physics and fastswitching plus the rockets are faster.

Osp would probably be better for the lan because most people would probably never have played promode before.

Anima wrote:
    Osp is vanilla q3 with some minor interface adjustments etc.
    Cpma (or promode) is q3 with q1 physics and fastswitching plus the rockets are faster.

Close, but no dice.

OSP is indeed vanilla q3 with adjustments, but these include;

Fullbright skins and models.

Faster strafe jumping (I think)

A generally smoother game (company name?)

CPMA, or Challenge Pro Mode Association is vanilla q3 with more adjustments, it features;

every graphical change from OSP

Alot more configurable **** (you can basically get every display setting from quake2 in there if you want)

Air control (NOT qw physics, cpma retains the easy strafe jumping from OSP/vanilla, while it allows basic bunny hopping, it is certainly not as good movement wise as qw. Also there is a limit on speed so I wont be flying around ye or anything)

Faster rockets

That's about it, nothing major, I don't really mind, but cpma is alot more fun to play than OSP, and most people who've played it for a while agree, also everyone will play it, qw'ers, cs'ers and q3'ers alike, which is always a bonus.

Of course, this is all a bit stupid, I don't know what the deal with the tourni is, but Doodee will be running a cpma server on Molly, I wont have anything to do with it.

que

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

the only reason you want to play CPMA is that its similar to qw, and YOU decied upon it, there was no vote. only in irc one day at afternoon you said something similar to "so Q3 CPMA???" no replies within 5 minutes so you took it upon yourself to choose.
    even Syxpak said OSP if i remeber correctly, il dig out the irc log when i get net connection.
    stick to your QW and let Syx organise the Q3 or Anima or something

Strafe jumping is the same in osp and there is no limit to the speed in cpma.

I don't care who runs the tornament, it probably won't ever happen but it would be nice to get a few games in.

• Advertisement

Caliden: You are not online ALL the time, Doodee decided upon it in the end, not me. I'd post logs only I can't keep them when I'm using mouselike.org. As I've already said, I'm not trying to make ye play cpma, but it's a much better mod and if ye gave it a try ye'd probably end up preferring it to OSP.

Anima: There has been a limit of 650 or thereabouts in cpma since 1.1, it IS possible to get past this, but certainly no-one in galway could do it.

There has been more interest in q3 than qw over the last 3 GL's, so I don't see why a tourniment wouldn't go ahead considering there have been qw ones....just needs someone to organise it is all.

Also, this is not JUST talking about the tourniment, it's what will be run on the server for fun games. I propose: Run cpma and let everyone play a few games on it, if ye're unhappy then it can be switched to OSP.

It's only a game,
    que

Advertisement