Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

where to get ADSL modem with Ethernet

• 03-09-2004 4:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 795 ✭✭✭

Okay some background: I got a Zyxel 630 ADSL USB modem from UTV 4 months ago. Saw a SMC Barricade router on Komplett.ie and ordered one before I did full research on it. Guy in work was ordering one and it seemed like a good idea at the time. I had been wanting to install a hardware firewall and hub for some time.
    But when I got the SMC router it needs to connect via Ethernet to an ADSL modem. I asked UTV about it and they want 50 yoyos for a modem with Ethernet and another 25 yoyos to 'repackage' the USB ADSL modem.

I haven't found anywhere online where I could get an ADSL modem. Other ISPs seem to be providing ADSL modems with Ethernet. Switching is not an option due to 12 month lock-in.

So anyone got any suggestions?
    TIA
    -ao-

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 795 ✭✭✭a_ominous

Should also add that I want to be able to hook up more than one PC to the net. HAve a Linux fileserver and should be adding a laptop in the near future.

The sticky on "modems and routers" has some info but this query is a throwaway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Captain Trips

a_ominous wrote:
    Should also add that I want to be able to hook up more than one PC to the net. HAve a Linux fileserver and should be adding a laptop in the near future.

The sticky on "modems and routers" has some info but this query is a throwaway.

I've recommended it before, but I'll do it again: I have a D-Link DSL G604T ADSL modem with phone jack for Ireland input and wireless/4-port Ethernet (10/100) network. Works excellent between by XP desktop and linux (Slackware) laptop.

Literally just plug in the ports into the router and my laptop was online (I remember the pain of minicom from days of yore!). It's got DCHP and runs internally to the DSL network outside, so the router/modem is everything on the network including DNS and just runs it all through. ONline interface so no drivers needed.

Only downside is no Telnet access to the router, so you need a web browser of some sort.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭netbeatz

I had the exact same modem...630. Switched to an Epec Modem (Disaster).

I highly recommend the Zoom 5551 Modem / Router with Built in Firewall. Uses both USB & Ethernet and at €124 from any PC World, Its fantastic value for flexibility and added security

Netz

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I got myself a Netgear DG834G for €154, you can get them in PC World but not sure about the price
    Modem/Wireless/Firewall, nice little router it is to

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭kmurph

I have a Netopia Cayman 3341 modem for sale in the for sale forum.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=183973

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭gre_soul

I got a D-Link DSL 504T router (from a guy on the forum) which refuses to work for me, im using Clicksilver at the moment with their zyxel 600 modem but need to share the connection soon anyway im sure its something simple, first to offer help that works gets a new nokia car charger in the post. i can email screenshot + give descriptions. anyway ive tried alot to get it to work and im baffled. im sure the HW is Ok... my setting could be off though.

Advertisement