Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Netopia modem.

• 03-09-2004 7:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭

For ages now, the "USB Active" and "DSL Traffic" lighst flash on and off, and the whole thing goes a little bit slower. I am connected via the purple USB cable obviously, is there any advantage from connecting via the yellow ethernet cable/both of them? Apologies if it's a dumbass question.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

I dont think u will notice any difference ,on pc i setup i get 10megs/per second on usb cable to to netopia modem ,obviously 512k is the max speed u can get on eircom broadband,make sure u r using all filters provided in all phone sockets, try plugging modem into main phone sockets if u think u r getting low speed bband acess.it depends on the distance,no of connections between ur gaff and phone exchange.they dont gaurantee 512k speed,its upto 512/per/second.ITS NO HARM TO TRY ethernet if u want ,id advise u switch off pc,then modem,plug in ethernet cables ,then switch on modem ,then pc IN THAT ORDER ,otherwise u may damage modem or pc.u may have to run setup to establish ethernet mode or switch off usb mode.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

The only time you should ever use USB is when you don't have an available ethernet port.

While USB is quite capable of keeping up with available DSL speeds, USB drivers are more intrusive on a system than ethernet drivers. (Ethernet has been around a very long time, and is about as stable as you can get).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

i had to use usb no ethernet card on the pc i setup,but its handy too cos i,ll be able to connect up 2nd pc to ethernet port on netopia to share broadband connection.

Advertisement