Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apache server sessions?

Options
  • 03-09-2004 9:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭

I have an Apache server running on the pc, version 2.

Perl and PHP are installed, and i'm just trying out a few phpforums/guestbooks. Nothing important, just messing about to be honest.

Anyway, They won't work. When trying to log in to the admin section of my guestbook (purple yin guestbook - http://www.aznlink.com/purpleyin/)

When I set the password, the screen refreshed but no changes are made, it still asks me to enter the password.

I've been trying to find out whats wrong, as I get the same sort of problem with the forum, and I read something about Apache not supporting sessions. this has something to do with cookies right?

Everything else I read just confuses me too much.

Can anyone tell me what I need to do to get Apache supporting sessions?
    Sorry if this post is a bit vague, but i'm new enough to all this, and trying to learn as I go along.

Thanks.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I read something about Apache not supporting sessions
    This doesn't work for us MOS, we need the exact error message.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

If it's PHP sessions you're talking about, check that your php.ini file has the session.save_path set to a proper directory.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

dahamsta wrote:
    This doesn't work for us MOS, we need the exact error message.

adam

It doesn't give me any error or message at all, the page just refreshes back to normal. But it's like I never entered the password, it still asks me for it.

The thing about sessions was just some random thing I read somewhere on the net through all the confusing stuff :)

Dun wrote:
    If it's PHP sessions you're talking about, check that your php.ini file has the session.save_path set to a proper directory.

I uncommented the line, but i'm not exactly sure what to put...my php folder is in my /apache2/ folder, and the php.ini is in the root of the apache2 folder

What should I set it to? it's at

session.save_path = "1;/php"

but that doesn't work.

It doesn't give me any error or message at all, the page just refreshes back to normal.
    Ok, well where did you read that thing you said earlier?

In the meantime, try /tmp for your session.save_path:
    session.save_path = /tmp

• Advertisement

Didn't seem to work :\

I was browsing the forum on the site I got the guestbook from, and people with similar problems were told their webserver didn't support sessions. that's all that was there.

http://lemonhead.serveftp.net/guestbook/admin.php

Thats the link if you want to see what i'm trying to get working.

Ok, let's have a look at what phpinfo() says. Create a PHP file containing the following...
    <?php phpinfo(); ?>

...and then either link to it from here or save the output and post it.

adam

http://lemonhead.serveftp.net/test.php

There you go.

cheers for the help :)

Ewww, Windows. Ok, try setting the session.save_path to your Windows Temp directory, which would be something like:
    session.save_path = "C:\WINNT\Temp"

(Don't take my word for this, look to see where the Windows Temp directory is and use that.)

Make sure you restart Apache when you're done.

adam

No luck again :\

• Advertisement

I deleted the lot, Apache 2, perl, php, and installed Apache version 1.3, then PHP, and my guestbook works fine now :) Didn't even need to edit any files. Guess I messed up somewhere before, or used incompatible versions. Oh well.

Apache2 ain't my strong point, so it's quite likely I missed something obvious. Ditto PHP5 -- PHP5 is far too new to be running on production servers, so I won't have any experience of it for quite some time. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

adam

No worries :) From what you told me, I figured I had tried everything in regards to the sessions, so I decided to just start again.

The site is now unaccessible from outside my pc, oh well. I'll get this working eventually :D

Advertisement