Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Is this topic worth a sticky?

Options
  • 03-09-2004 10:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

I dont know if this is a runner but I was thinking about a closed sticky for repair tips and tricks. This pre-supposes that ppl here get thier hands dirty in the name of cheaper motoring and that they know what they're doing! :D
    It would only be for fairly general stuff like "how to change a cambelt/how do I know my plugs need changing" etc, which can be applied to most cars.

Anyway what do you think? Do we have enough collective knowledge to make a sticky thread viable? Not sure myself but thats why I ask.

Mike.

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Yeah, it's a good idea. I vote in favour of the idea! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

I'm always wary of giving any advice without knowing the model and make of car - sure, there is plenty of knowledge available on the forum if people search it, and if it was organised it would make a comprehensive database but it might send someone in the wrong direction? How about setting a mod for the sticky who is a qualified mechanic? (Not me...)

'ceptr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'm always wary of giving any advice without knowing the model and make of car - sure, there is plenty of knowledge available on the forum if people search it, and if it was organised it would make a comprehensive database but it might send someone in the wrong direction?

'ceptr
    How about setting a mod for the sticky who is a qualified mechanic?
    er... ;)

I'm certainly no expert, just a tinkerer who can bluff some stuff. Is there a qualified mechanic in the house?

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

I'm always wary of giving any advice without knowing the model and make of car - sure, there is plenty of knowledge available on the forum if people search it, and if it was organised it would make a comprehensive database but it might send someone in the wrong direction? How about setting a mod for the sticky who is a qualified mechanic? (Not me...)

I am not saying it is a bad idea but wouldn't it leave whoever gave the advice open to legal reprecussions when some muppet takes the advice and fecks up his motor, particularly if it is a qualified mechanic's advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,388 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

John R wrote:
    wouldn't it leave whoever gave the advice open to legal reprecussions

I should hope not. This is a bulletin board FFS. There are no contracts applicable

• Advertisement

Maybe I should put up a notice -

enter.jpg

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Tommy Vercetti

IMO it would be best to leave things as they are, if someone has a specific problem/question, then they can post it and it can be addressed individually rather than relying on generic information that may not be applicable to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Buy a Haynes manual or take a course. I think anyone who'd tat much into cars, is probably a member of another board where such things are already posted anyway.

I'm inclined to agree with the two last posts. A Haynes manual (as poor as they sometimes are) should be the first thing anyone buys after taking the keys to a used car.

Okay its a dead duck then.

Mike.

Advertisement