Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Visitation Rights

Options
  • 03-09-2004 10:20pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭

Is there any set standard, or even accepted standard, for visitation rights for fathers I wonder?

adam

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Appreciate the links but they don't seem to be what I'm looking for. Anybody got any opinions on this? What kind of rights to /you/ have, for example? What would you /like/?

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭mrhappy42

You might need to be more specific, the first link above gives yiut rights so not sure.

There's no mention in that document as to the amount of time a father gets to spend with his child. That's what I'm asking: whether there's some sort of legal standard (it appears not) or accepted standard. (That is, most fathers get to see their child one w/e a month, or two w/e's, or two w/e's and two days, etc, etc).

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Ronan Raver77

You generally have to apply to court to get visitation or access rights.But if you can strike a deal with the ex you can sign the forms in a solicitors office(not too sure if you have to appear at the court to make the agreement official).When it comes to guardianship etc its a joke in this country the father has no rights so he has to APPLY for them....but my situ is cool now

• Advertisement

I'm afraid this still doesn't answer my question. Please see my last post in this thread.

explain in more detail what exactly you require then.

dahamsta wrote:
    see my last post in this thread

there is no set standard as to how much time the father sees the kids its just usually every weekend or every second weekend depending on the agreement with court/mother.

there is no set standard as to how much time the father sees the kids its just usually every weekend or every second weekend depending on the agreement with court/mother.
    That would be what I termed an "accepted standard" above, which is what I'm looking for. What do other people feel is an acceptable standard?

adam

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭climaxer

Adam my ex takes our son every Saturday at teatime and has him overnight until around 4 on a Sunday. He's not working in the same county as us at the moment but when he's based back here we/he hope to let him see our son one evening a week also. At the end of the day we both just want whats best for our son which is to spend some quality time with his Mammy and Daddy each week. So I'd say personally a child should see his Dad at least twice a week and maybe one overnighter if its possible. Best of luck if you are looking for the info for your own situation. It can be hard but if both parents forget about their own feelings and put the kid first it can work out. Another thing is routine so maybe if the Dad has the child the same time/days each week so the child will feel they have a routine which is quite important for children.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

I feel that the minimum acceptable standard would be whatever is best for the child. So if it's possible for the parents to buy houses next door to each other, and the kid to stay part of the time with one and part with the other, that might work out great for some people. But not everyone else can come up to that standard - or wants to, alas.

Advertisement