Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Album Ever???

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

Dream Theater - Scenes from a memory / Train of thought
    Tool - Aenima
    Muse - Origin of Symmetry / Showbiz
    Opeth - Lamentations DVD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭pinkpimp

Rolling Stones Rock & Roll Circus.

I rest my case.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

"What's going on" by Marvin Gaye, "Smile" by Brian Wilson or "The Stone Roses" by the Stone Roses. Artistically perfect.

Anyone who includes the likes of Metallica, HIM, Pantera or any of that degenerate music is too young to understand that they are unimaginative and produce noise. You'll grow out of it.
    i thought that was a class post tbh. very astute, but like most things you won't be appreciated until after you're dead. and by the looks of the other posters here, that might be quite soon. ;)

good call about the marvin gaye album too.

oh, and I do like quite a bit of Metallica's stuff myself, but it still agree in principle with TJ's post that a lot of that type of music is just noise for the sake of it, rather than delicately, well thought out music and lyrics with real heart and soul (such as old greats like marvin gaye & john lennon etc.)

do 'the very best of' albums count? if so, can i put in a shout for van morrison?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭T "real deal" J

Good Vibrations from Vibe666. THanks.

"Loud aggressive music" simply doesn't have the vision and diversity to make it to the top 10 albums of all time, and that's that. Call me whatever you want. I'm not saying your music is awful but it simply doesn't match up to the innovative genius of stuff produced by Lennon or McCartney or Wilson or any of the greats.

"Besides, there's more skill, instrumentally and in terms of imagination, in the average metal album than there is in the entire career of the average indie/alternative artist." <I won't waste my time contering this silly argument but tell that to Pete Townshend and he'll rightfully knock you out.

"Stone Roses" may be pushing it a bit but their debut album was so original and for its time it was simply amazing. John Lennon and Paul McCartney consider the Beach Boys' "Pet Sounds" to be the all time greatest album but Wilson just released the legendary "Smile" (he shelved it in '67) this year. He has surpassed Pet sounds with this remarkable work of genius. I must actually add a couple of Beatles albums: "Revolver" and "Sg. Peppers".

"Appetite for Destruction" is probably the best of all loud aggressive albums simply because Axel Rose is an amazing songwriter and the songs are so consistently addictively feel good. He channels his rage well.

I wish you all well. Au Revoir

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Tell me, are you familiar with the song "Nothing Else Matters"? Or the Rime of the Ancient Mariner"? Songs like those do a fairly effective job of undermining a lot of your argument.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Gee, who would I rather have playing guitar beside me, Pete Townshend, who I will rightly praise as an excellent guitarist, or John Petrucci, Yngwie Malmsteen, Steve Vai, Joe Satriani? I'm going to have to go with Vai, Malmsteen or Petrucci to be quite honest. And as regards honest, heartfelt songwriting, bands like Opeth and the Distillers, both loud and angry, write some of the most meaningful and deep lyrics in music, and combine them with instrumental pieces that put an edge on the blade of their writing. I have to say, the two most complex and challenging fields in music, are probably metal and jazz, and considering the amount of jazz influence in metal they're quite similar. So to say that these musicians are just making noise is quite ignorant if you look at their roots. It's easy to draw comparisons between jazz and metal. And I'm sure you'd have a difficult time calling jazz obnoxious or loud or ignorant or anything else one normally hears ignorantly associated with metal. Each to their own hoever. You enjoy the lighter side of music, and I respect that; so do I. I however also greatly enjoy heavy music and refuse to allow you dismiss what I love as anything other than what it is, full of energy, honesty, passion and incredible skill.

You're a pooey poo pants. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

why oh why did whoever feel the need to bring up this thread?

it was dead. and it will be dead again soon. I hope.

and yes, I had to say something. I started the thread in the first place however long ago that was. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭oq4v3ht0u76kf2

In no particular order, except the first song which is my favourite song ever (I think)...

Alkaline Trio - Private Eye
    Semisonic - Gone to the Movies
    Avoid One Thing - Pop Punk Band
    The Smiths - Asleep
    Spunge - Ego
    Bowling for Soup - On and Off
    Bryan Adams - Summer of '69
    Avril Lavigne - I'm With You
    Dropkick Murphys - The Spicy McHaggis Jig
    Rancid - Ruby Soho
    Madness - Embarrassment
    Jimmy Eat World - The Authority Song
    Killswitch Engage - My Last Serenade
    System of a Down - Atwa
    Christina Aguilera - Beautiful
    Goldfinger - Spokesman
    The Streets - Dry Your Eyes
    The Mighty Mighty Bosstones - Mr. Moran
    Fianóglach - The Green Beret (ARW)
    Dermo - Quick Note #5
    Fountains of Wayne - Valley Winter Song

And there's probably loads more but that's just the first few.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

TJ ...didnt i ban that user a long time ago or is my memory gone to mush?

and if its the same user.....arent you 13 or so??

• Advertisement

No, there's two of them. The other one was tj50, who is an utter prat.

ok good. carry on.

"Gee, who would I rather have playing guitar beside me, Pete Townshend, who I will rightly praise as an excellent guitarist, or John Petrucci, Yngwie Malmsteen, Steve Vai, Joe Satriani?"

You're missing the point. I'm not talking about guitarist technical abilities, I'm talking about Pete Townshend having wrote some of the greatest songs of all time. Being amazing on guitar won't write you great songs.

"It's easy to draw comparisons between jazz and metal."

No it's not. I play jazz bass and metal bass is completely different. The jazz basslines I play are a lot more difficult and complex than metal ones. This brings me to an important point. Even though the jazz basslines I play are difficult, the "Another one Bites the Dust" bassline (for example) is much better to listen to than a jazz track because it's simple.

"Nothing Else Matters" is an average song. It's an easy song to write and goes along the line of other previously written songs such as "Behind Blue Eyes" by the Who.

Reiterating main point, metal albums simply don't warrant a placing in the top 10 albums. Rock n' Roll dominates the 10 best.

Who is that fool that talks about banning people??

Who is that fool that talks about banning people??
    *headdesk*

That would be the mod. Baibai TJ!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

I'd be the other "fool" who talks about banning.

Diss Nothing Else Matters one more time and I will ban you just for that alone.

Have a nice day. :)

he is joking of course, but just keep it civil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭mentalimplosion

this thread's still going eh? well then... according to my ipod the best album ever is made up of:

modest mouse - float on
    bell X1 - all of music in mouth. and half of neither am i
    interpol - PDA, obstacle 1 & 2, slow hands, evil, hands away
    le tigre - new kicks, decepatacon, whats yr take on cassavetes?
    the libs - i get along, horrorshow
    dizzee rascal - dream, fix up look sharp
    lou reed - satellite of love
    sleater-kinney - sympathy
    N.E.R.D - lapdance
    michael grey - the weekend
    girls aloud - love machine
    sons & daughters - johnny cash
    broken social scene - stars & sons
    jay z - encore, 99 problems
    bloc party - helicopter

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Do greatest hits count? (Was this was asked in an earlier post?)

If so then Queen- Greatest hits wins. HANDS DOWN!

Oasis Definately Maybe. Good choice.

I'll second that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭abraham lincoln

Do greatest hits count? (Was this was asked in an earlier post?)

If so then Queen- Greatest hits wins. HANDS DOWN!

damn good album! but to state it as the best, seeing as its a greatest hits, which is all their best work from, so far as i know, 20 albums is slightly unfair

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

TJ, listen to Opeth and try to tell me there isn't a massive jazz influence there. Nothing Else Matters is simple, and yes, does work along the same lines as Behind Blue Eyes, but the simplicity of it is part of its beauty. Also, to say that metal albums don't deserve a mention is entirely subjective, which is the point I think you've missed to date. We're not here to decide a definitive list. We're expressing our opinionsd on our own top tens. Just because yours are different doesn't give you the right to come in here and condescendingly tell us we'll "grow out of" the "degenerate" music we love. Don't patronise us. We'll decide what we listen to and we'd rather not be talked down to regarding our opinions. Thank you, and I hope we won't hear any more crap on the subject. We should agree to disagree. We have somewhat different taste in music, but we must respect each others'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭jono087

Nothing Else Matters is simple, and yes, does work along the same lines as Behind Blue Eyes, but the simplicity of it is part of its beauty.

Exactly, complex songs don't necessarily mean better songs...

jono087 wrote:
    Exactly, complex songs don't necessarily mean better songs...

That's the point I've tried to make. Check it out.
    the "Another one Bites the Dust" bassline (for example) is much better to listen to than a jazz track because it's simple

"It wasn't me" ok fair enough i agree to disagree if it calms you.

CTYI is exactly as I remember it (99-02), full of metal clowns like yourselves. As far as I remember a lot of "metal" people there didn't shower or get haircuts & they wore black clothes with loads of silly badges all over them. Still the same? Only reason I went was for pretty girls, can't believe it was worth it though after this fiasco!

Axel Foley by Harrold Faltermayer is the coolest track i've ever heard.

stop ruining this thread, pleases. You're arguing with everyone and really randomly insulting people who you possibly dont even know, and stereotyping, that sorta that, it's really not on.

No, YOU'RE argueing with everyone, and randoming insulting people you dont even know, and steriotyping, you stupid woman, whoever you are. Typical of a woman.

stop ruining this thread, pleases. You're arguing with everyone and really randomly insulting people who you possibly dont even know, and stereotyping, that sorta that, it's really not on.

Relax love I made a few good points that's all. Try not to take it seriously I take the piss the odd time. don't worry I'm finished now.

But you must listen Axel Foley by Harrold Faltermayer at least once in your life. Inspired me to breakdance.

pinkpimp wrote:
    No, YOU'RE argueing with everyone, and randoming insulting people you dont even know, and steriotyping, you stupid woman, whoever you are. Typical of a woman.

eh....yeah, riiight........ :)

Relax love I made a few good points that's all. Try not to take it seriously I take the piss the odd time. don't worry I'm finished now.

But you must listen Axel Foley by Harrold Faltermayer at least once in your life. Inspired me to breakdance.

fair enough you made your points, doesn't mean you have the right to say anyone elses taste in music is bad, and call people you dont know "metal clowns" and the like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭Barry Aldwell

pinkpimp wrote:
    *bang*

You owe me one new sarcasm detector

Advertisement