Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What If Bush Wins

Options
  • 04-09-2004 12:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭

Predictions on the likely consequences of a second term for President Bush.

By a panel of 16 writers

thisi s very good a range of views all nearly coem to similar conclusion though

its interesting to see that they all wrote these articles independent of each other but all touch on the same historical points

http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/features/2004/0409.bushforum.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

"If"?

It may look like he will win considering the voting machines can be rigged and the CEO of that company has gone on record saying "He will deliver all votes to Bush" as well as being a big contributor to Bushes coffers.

Then you have the US military are being denied secret ballot but can fax into a company that also supports Bush.

Then you have the mess from last year of the Felons list, which yes you guessed it created by a company that helps Bush in the election.

US is turning into a plutocracy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭sovtek

Hobbes wrote:
    "If"?

It may look like he will win considering the voting machines can be rigged and the CEO of that company has gone on record saying "He will deliver all votes to Bush" as well as being a big contributor to Bushes coffers.

Then you have the US military are being denied secret ballot but can fax into a company that also supports Bush.

Then you have the mess from last year of the Felons list, which yes you guessed it created by a company that helps Bush in the election.

US is turning into a plutocracy.

I read an article recently by Greg Palast . Evidentally the Supervisor of Elections of Palm Beach, Florida was putting party affiliation on the OUTSIDE of the absentee ballots in her own election.
    Hmmmmm I wonder where the ones marked "DEMOCRAT" are going to end up.

lol.. I got neg rep with "Lies" comment.

Well if they are lies, prove it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

What if Bush wins? He'll re-introduce the draft.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

He will doing well in the polls at the moment, but he might peak too soon.

Complain all you want about different companies but the biggest problem in the states in the millions of uninterested unregistered voters, in my experience a lot of these are black "voters" in southern states who dont see a difference between democrats and republicans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Redleslie2

Nuttzz wrote:
    He will doing well in the polls at the moment, but he might peak too soon.

Complain all you want about different companies but the biggest problem in the states in the millions of uninterested unregistered voters, in my experience a lot of these are black "voters" in southern states who dont see a difference between democrats and republicans.
    Don't worry, Puffy's on the case.

'When he said the group would charter a jet to travel to swing states to make an impact, he added: "We will have mimosas on the jet. We're going to have the sexiest jet!"'

Nuttzz wrote:

Do you have some of facts to back up your statements?

Or do you feel, that because a person is black it doesn't matter about their vote?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭ionapaul

I feel increasingly certain that GWB will win in November. The Kerry campaign is so lackluster, I am almost starting to believe the conspiracy theories that the Democratic leadership want another 4 years of Bush in order to gaurantee Hilary in 2008! The Kerry team have made some amazing and awful mistakes. The man has 3 purple hearts but allowed weeks of attacks on his record to stick. They have refused to agressively attack GWB on his war-time record. They have allowed many attacks, most obvious lies and misinterpretation (par for the course in politics), to go on without response. They (and anyone who has lived through the past 4 years) have enough ammunition to nail GWB to the wall - but are holding back? Why?
    Kerry'll probably start stuttering during the debates and may faint once or twice...I can't believe they are being beaten so easily at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

ionapaul wrote:
    I feel increasingly certain that GWB will win in November. The Kerry campaign is so lackluster,
    Agreed. The 11-point lead that Bush is currently enjoying may erode, but probably not by enough. The Bush campaign is full of vigor and fire-branding rhetoric. The Kerry campaign is dull, spear headed by a dull man who it's hard to feel passionate about (other than the fact that He'sNotTheBush).
    They have refused to agressively attack GWB on his war-time record. They have allowed many attacks, most obvious lies and misinterpretation (par for the course in politics), to go on without response. They (and anyone who has lived through the past 4 years) have enough ammunition to nail GWB to the wall - but are holding back? Why?
    I know. When those "delightful" Swiftboat people are making all their enraged malicious attacks, I keep wondering why they're not making the same pointed attacks on Bush if they're so concerned with military service (and not - as if - their political ideologies only).

The Democrats can't afford to be above mud-slinging at this point. I'm still constantly befuddled as to what George Bush has done that's actually good (once the rhetorical bull is swept aside) and they should agressively seize on these matters. Wasn't there some damning indictment of the economy a couple of weeks ago? Why aren't the Democrats talking about this - the *number one* priority with the electorate?

Of course there's a gnawing doubt, ever growing, that the Democrats wouldn't be all that much better either. Far too much talk about equalling, or suceeding, Bush on the very matters - homeland security and the war on terror - that have made him the vilified figure he is already. The Sunday Times did a good article recently, in their News Review section, which basically pointed out that - currently - the prevailing flavour of politics in the U.S. is conservative. The Democrats will only offer a mild variation, slightly more liberal, than what the Republicans did. At least, I guess, they'll be doing it without the goofy frontman...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭Batbat

oh christ dont even joke about Bush winning, if that human garbage wins again we re all ****ed

Didn't bush loose the electorial vote in 2000?

Hobbes wrote:

NO he won the Electoral vote but lost the actual numerical vote if that makes any sense (which is does not), its not like USA is an actual democracy

daveirl wrote:
    man i do I really have to explain? anyway lets keep OT, regardless I think most people would agree that the florida vote was rigged

Hobbes wrote:

IIRC he supposedly won but then the recount wasn't allowed by the Supreme Court. That's forgetting the shady election practices in Florida.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Nuttzz wrote:
    I'm white and I don't see much of a difference either. You'll have to be a little more forgiving of people who don't get excited about getting to choose between corporate puppet A and corporate puppet B.

There's plenty of non-voting 'white trash' in those southern states too. Your comment just sounds racist to me.

USA is not a democracy. It is a "Representative Democracy", although TBH it is more a plutocracy.

daveirl wrote:

Im not going to explain the difference between proportional representation and the American Electoral college voting system if you dont already know

so its ok to rig an election on a small scale?, anyway the topic is "What if bush wins" and the answer is were ****ed for another 4 years

daveirl wrote:

I would call 100,000 illegally stricken from the voting rolls to be large scale.
    I could speculate all day what the Dems would do in the same situation, but I'm not going to.

I think it's only a matter of time before veterans begin mobilising and start criticising the war publicly. Another 7 killed today and 1,100 wounded last month.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,580 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Kerry has his work cut out - With some polls placing Bush in the lead by 10 points! A lot of that is post-convention bounce, that Kerry didnt get, and will tighten up as the election looms but Satans representive on Earth isnt going down without a fight. Maybe it will be like The Return of the King, victory won when the forces of darkness seem unassailable?

The ironically comforting thought given the championing of the PR system is that the US operates an electoral college so even if the polls have Bush leading by 10 points it doesnt mean a thing. The electoral college elects the U.S. president, not the popular vote - a measure to ensure broad support for a President. I think we could see some grudging respect for the electoral college system if Bush wins the popular vote ( which the polls say he might) but loses the electoral vote - which he very definitly can.
    I could speculate all day what the Dems would do in the same situation, but I'm not going to.

Well, they might try and have rival politicians stricken from the ballot paper. Oh wait - They are. Far more efficient than denying thousands of voters their chance to vote, you get the same effect by removing just one candidate. Those Democrats are taking the Republicans to school on shady electioneering practices.

daveirl wrote:
    Iraq and 'Stan veterans not Vietnam Korea or WW2 veterans.

Not sure how it can show an increase for support from vets when Bush seriously screwed over the Vets.. or do the US voters have such a short attention span?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

Hobbes wrote:
    Do you have some of facts to back up your statements?

Or do you feel, that because a person is black it doesn't matter about their vote?

I had the pleasure of living in New Orleans for a few months in 2000/01 and my "facts" are from my personal experience in talking to people there, I dont give a monkeys about your race, colour or creed. I'm just telling you what people told me four years ago.

Is that good enough Sir or will I ask a few of them to post here..........?

Advertisement