Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What If Bush Wins

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭Batbat

I must say I will be sitting up all night glued to the TV on election night, I really feel like this is an imporant event in hostory, getting rid of that maniac bush administration is so important for the world

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Nuttzz wrote:
    I had the pleasure of living in New Orleans for a few months in 2000/01 and my "facts" are from my personal experience in talking to people there, I dont give a monkeys about your race, colour or creed. I'm just telling you what people told me four years ago.

Is that good enough Sir or will I ask a few of them to post here..........?

Yea sure ask them to post. Although your comments (or your friends comments) are not reflective of the US as a whole. I've lived in the US over three years (east and west coast) and opinions vary from state to state and none as racist as yours sounded.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

Right, let me spell it out for you, I was in the US at the time of the election, I have an interest in politics, I asked the people who worked with me who did they vote for, most of the white people I worked with voted (Bush or Gore) most of the black people said they didnt bother to even register as they didnt see a difference between Bush or Gore. My point was that if these people had of voted they could have made a difference not that they were black. They told me that they didnt vote and neither did a lot of the their friends and family.

Where do you get off calling me a racist anyway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭sovtek

Sand wrote:
    Well, they might try and have rival politicians stricken from the ballot paper. Oh wait - They are. Far more efficient than denying thousands of voters their chance to vote, you get the same effect by removing just one candidate. Those Democrats are taking the Republicans to school on shady electioneering practices.

I find illegally denying a large group of people the right to vote in a different league than the shady methods (but legal IIRC) used by the Demos to keep Nader off the ballot.
    It took both the RNC and the DNC to keep him off the Texas ballot (****ers). Even though there's an appeal to the Texas Supreme Court...I doubt he's going to be on by Nov.

• Advertisement

daveirl wrote:

The fact that Kerry declared that he's for more killing in Iraq (and Israel for that matter) didn't do himself any favors either.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,580 ✭✭✭✭Sand

The fact that Kerry declared that he's for more killing in Iraq (and Israel for that matter) didn't do himself any favors either.

Hes in a tough spot when it comes to defence though - he wants to get the whole anti-war vote, but he doesnt want to look like a wishy washy pacifist who wont make the hard decisions when needed.

Mind you some of his reported musings on what he would do are mad cap....Apparently he wants to rally the world behind the U.S. in the fight against terrorism, using the U.N. - "good" - but he will not flinch to send in masses of special forces to destroy WMDs deployed by rogue states; does he plan to announce these surprise raids by Special Ops to the world by getting permisson from the U.N. security council a month in advance? Or will he just pile in and damn the U.N. if they dont like it, just like Bush? Not to mention it sounds like hes been taking Chuck Norris filims too seriously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Hairy Homer

daveirl wrote:

No. You can top the first preference poll and not get elected, which is not the same thing.

In a two horse race, that wouldn't be the case as there would only be one poll anyway.

In a three or more horse race, under our system, if you topped the poll you would still have to get your share of transfers if you had not won enough to reach the quota on the first count.

I think that system is better. The American (and British) systems basically only work if you have two choices. Any more choice than that and they break down.

Maggie Thatcher won landslide victories with about 40 per cent of the poll back in the 1980s because the opposition was split between a very Left-wing labour party and a break-away Social Democratic Party that each got about the same number of votes from the country as a whole. With First past the post, as used in Britain, it's not about how good you are, it's about how divided the opposition is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Boggle

In fairness it may be a democracy but only bairly. Fair enough you do get to choose which of the 2 muppets you get to vote for - but both are run by corporate influences and as such nothing will ever happen to help the population. Its more a matter of which group of busineses will get the breaks for the next few years. Maybe this is why the '''BLACK''' voters dont turn out - because they aren't as brainwashed as those silly while folk.....

Anyway - kerry appears to be an idiot but at least he doesn't SEEM to want to rule the world...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭Batbat

4 more years of this if Bush wins

Big budget debate
    A report that this year’s federal budget deficit will be the largest in history draws mixed reviews

http://www.newsday.com/business/local/newyork/ny-bzbudg083959358sep08,0,3905838.story?coll=ny-nybusiness-headlines

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Redleslie2

daveirl wrote:
    *Fairness is for losers. :mad:

*PD election slogan.

What amazes me is how anyone in their right mind would even allow them to run again, let alone vote them in.

Some of the stuff that has come to light is just astounding. For example it appears that Bush/Cheny/Arnie knew about the Enron scandal, in that Enron were shutting off CA power to fake a powercut and up the electricty bills. Had the public found out before it was too late Arnie would not of been governor and Cheny wouldn't of got his energy bill passed.

Hobbes wrote:
    What amazes me is how anyone in their right mind would even allow them to run again, let alone vote them in.

Some of the stuff that has come to light is just astounding. For example it appears that Bush/Cheny/Arnie knew about the Enron scandal, in that Enron were shutting off CA power to fake a powercut and up the electricty bills. Had the public found out before it was too late Arnie would not of been governor and Cheny wouldn't of got his energy bill passed.

Of course the energy extortion was known well before the CA elections. Thanks to our liberal media bias...no one heard about it.

Enron was certainly known about, but not the shutting down of powerplants by Enron to fake a power shortage. Although it was known about at the time, it wasn't advertised until long after the fact.

Also Davies was planning on making the energy corporations pay back the $9Billion they extortated from CA people. Something that Arnie was told to kill.

http://www.projectcensored.org/publications/2005/13.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

Bush is playing on the Pro family, pro leadership, pro marriage and anti abortion platforms.

What has Bush delivered on these fronts over the last 4 years???

Kerry needs to set out his stall. Where does Kerry stand on anything?

Cork wrote:
    Bush is playing on the Pro family, pro leadership, pro marriage and anti abortion platforms.

What has Bush delivered on these fronts over the last 4 years???

Yea the Repubs tried that pro-family thing back in the 90's. Of course making it so more people have to work instead of spend time with their families is so good for the family thing.
    It's just read meat to his rabid christian right base.
    OH yea...and remember what a leader he was on 9/11....remember 911...please don't forget 9/11...
    Kerry needs to set out his stall. Where does Kerry stand on anything?

That's a damn good question...a better question is why so many liberal democrats insist on voting for him and go cross-eyed when you tell them you're a Nader man.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭pete

sovtek wrote:
    a better question is why so many liberal democrats insist on voting for him and go cross-eyed when you tell them you're a Nader man.

because they're pragmatists and believe a vote for nader is a vote for bush?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭ykt0di9url7bc3

If Bush wins, I could see a negitive impact on FOX news...

Having religiously supported this man where another term could see a disastorious effects on the USA thus giving the american public the wake up it needs to remove political influence from corporate media...

Fast Forward to the next election where they have to support and rally behind a right-wing candidate with no real positive support (FOX relies on blurring statistics to promote their own agnedas)

If Kerry wins, FOX will watch his every move like a hawk...and undermine the position of the president while campaining USA greatness thruough republican actions in the senate...

Fast Forward to the next election and we have a tornado of spin pushing the next republican candidate...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭mycroft

If Bush wins, I could see a negitive impact on FOX news...

Just came across this
    During their appeal, FOX asserted that there are no written rules against distorting news in the media. They argued that, under the First Amendment, broadcasters have the right to lie or deliberately distort news reports on public airwaves. Fox attorneys did not dispute Akre’s claim that they pressured her to broadcast a false story, they simply maintained that it was their right to do so. After the appeal verdict WTVT general manager Bob Linger commented, “It’s vindication for WTVT, and we’re very pleased… It’s the case we’ve been making for two years. She never had a legal claim.”

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Gizzard

mycroft wrote:
    Just came across this

Im shocked FOx News distorts the truth,

there is another for you, Wired News: Scientists: Bush Distorts Science

http://www.wired.com/news/medtech/0,1286,62339,00.html

Advertisement