Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Too far from the exchange?

• 04-09-2004 10:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭

If you are too far from the exchange is there anything that can be changed to fix this? Or does this mean that everyone in my estate is likely to be in the same boat? I'm in D.15.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

If you are too far from the exchange is there anything that can be changed to fix this?
    You could move? :D

But no, in the short term, there's nothing you can do. In a year or so, eircom might extend the distance that they will cover, but for now they don't think that they need to, because they're already meeting their targets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Guess NTL or IBB are my only hope so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

I think the distance in Ireland is 3.5km to 4km

Have you been told you are too far ? I'd ask for that in writing.

If your whole estate has the same issue then this is very serious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

If you are too far from the exchange is there anything that can be changed to fix this? Or does this mean that everyone in my estate is likely to be in the same boat? I'm in D.15.

This is the catch all excuse from eircom...
    We don't have a clue what the problem is or are too lazt to fix it so
    therefore you must be too far from the exchange...

The real question is : Are you too really far from the exchange?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

The person did the line test while I watched (I happened to in Eircom at the time) then when the error came up she rang the engineer for me. As far I as can see, they don't have a process for fixing/dealing that error. So thats as far as I can take it unless I manage find contact details for an engineer dealing with that exchange. I'll try that route next week. TBH I'd prefer to go with NTL. Jsut happen to have access to some Eircom people at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,426 ✭✭✭ando

Ripwave wrote:
    In a year or so, eircom might extend the distance that they will cover

I am curious to where you are getting that info from? Are you talking about a different Dsl technology like Idsl?

Currently eircom use Radsl on home products which has an attenuation limit of 5.5km from the exchange, Adsl on business products which is limited to 3.5km

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

ando wrote:
    I am curious to where you are getting that info from? Are you talking about a different Dsl technology like Idsl?

Currently eircom use Radsl on home products which has an attenuation limit of 5.5km from the exchange, Adsl on business products which is limited to 3.5km

more info available here:
    http://www.btplc.com/News/Pressreleasesandarticles/Corporatenewsreleases/2004/nr0475.htm

Advertisement