Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tea - and how you like it

• 04-09-2004 12:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭

I know this should be in the Food/Drink Forum, however, I feel it would get more exposure in here, but if it has to be moved, then so be it.

Now down to it. I was going to make a poll, but there are so many variants, just post your preference.

How do you take your tea or coffee?

Black/White
    Sugar/No Sugar/How many sugars
    What brand, or does it matter?
    And any other tea/coffee experiences you may or may not have had.

I like Lyons Tea, black and sometimes with 2 sugars, sometimes none. I prefer tea from a pot, but I will drink a cup of tea made in the cup. If I have to do this, I have a method that makes a good cup of tea every time:

1. Put Kettle on the boil
    2. Just before the boil, fill the cup with water from the kettle
    3. Allow kettle to finish boiling
    4. Empty Cup
    5. Put Tea-bag in to cup
    6. Piour water from kettle over the tea-bag
    7. Do Not stir. Allow the tea to "brew" in the cup
    8. Gently remove the tea-bag, do not squeeze it
    9. Add milk/sugar as desired
    10. Light a smoke, and enjoy your tea!

Also, I like to use a Time-Out as a straw. Lovely chocolately tea!

I do not drink Coffee.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭Hello Kitty

I rarely drink tea but when i do i like it with lots of milk and about 3 spoons of sugar (i like it very sweet)...... and the same for coffee. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

seansouth wrote:

2. Just before the boil, fill the cup with water from the kettle
    3. Allow kettle to finish boiling
    4. Empty Cup

I only do that if its a pot, must try it with the cup.
    seansouth wrote:
    5. Put Tea-bag in to cup
    6. Piour water from kettle over the tea-bag
    7. Do Not stir. Allow the tea to "brew" in the cup
    8. Gently remove the tea-bag, do not squeeze it

Always in a hurry me, so its squeeze the sh*te out of the teabag unfortunately.
    seansouth wrote:

9. Add milk/sugar as desired
    10. Light a smoke, and enjoy your tea!

Also, I like to use a Time-Out as a straw. Lovely chocolately tea!

Milk only, skip the smoke, but dunk loads of original Hob Nobs in. Lurvely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

but dunk loads of original Hob Nobs in.

Ah yes, the oul Hob Nobs. I love to "suck" them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I used to prefer tea made in my house in Galway to tea anywhere else. Turns out the guy we got the kettle from used to boil magic mushrooms in it. Odd that.

Milk and two sugars, usually. I go through the odd milkless phase.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

seansouth wrote:
    I know this should be in the Food/Drink Forum, however, I feel it would get more exposure in here, but if it has to be moved, then so be it.

Now down to it. I was going to make a poll, but there are so many variants, just post your preference.

How do you take your tea or coffee?

Get a life.

John

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

haha, instructions are funny.
    I just read them on the back of the lyons tea box there when i was making tea, are you sure you didn't just rob that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Instructions to make tea????? That reminds me that you can see a serving
    suggestion on the back of a cereal box which features flakes in a bowl!
    Wow.

I like my tea with milk in a cup, water first milk second.

Mike.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

dont drink tea, it's coffe for me, white, strong and just a hint of a sweetner......

quite like me....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

tea is horrible
    ditto for coffee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,036 ✭✭✭✭Stark

A little bit of milk, no sugar. I also like green tea (that's taken straight, no milk or sugar) and chamomile "relax" blends (but not chamomile itself).
    As for coffee I used to take it with milk and sugar but nowadays I just take it with milk. If a place where I go for coffee serves coffee that's too bitter I go for the decaffeinated option as it's less bitter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

seansouth wrote:
    Ah yes, the oul Hob Nobs. I love to "suck" them.

You make it sound so dirty... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

Milk and two.

Perfect cup of tea.

And none of your Tetleys or PG Tips ****e... its got to be Lyons Pyramid tea bags. Or Barrys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Micheal Wittman

Tea-Earl Grey-hot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Bewleys teabag. Hot'n'white'n'wet. Just a splish of milk. No sugar. I'm sweet enough already.

:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭ando

Drop of milk and a dash of vodka, best thing in the morning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

Tea for me. Half a spoon of sugar and a tiny bit of milk. This brings me back to the days I used to go down the bandon where my granny used to poor loads of milk into the tea and I just thought of The Speed 3 F Ted ep where Mrs Doyle did the same only she took it up a notch with the whole cup full of milk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Squall

Cup of barrys gold blend, lotsa milk, 2 sugars, and stir the ****e outta it... lovely :)

Anyone else think different cups make nicer cups of tea, like a thin ceramic cup is always nicer than a thicker one (Or am I just going mad?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭radiospan

smuckers wrote:
    Tea for me. Half a spoon of sugar and a tiny bit of milk. This brings me back to the days I used to go down the bandon where my granny used to poor loads of milk into the tea and I just thought of The Speed 3 F Ted ep where Mrs Doyle did the same only she took it up a notch with the whole cup full of milk.

"This is a very milky cup of tea Mrs. Doyle." :D

I've only discovered the joy of tea in the past year or so. I use Green Label tea bags. I have this one glass that I always like to use. It's got a blue plastic handle, I suppose it's for travelling really.

Anyway I sometimes squeeze the tea bag against the glass with the spoon, I then add a small amount of milk, but don't stir it. I add three spoons of sugar (I like it sweet) and then stir.

Squall wrote:
    Anyone else think different cups make nicer cups of tea,

Yes. Bigger cups=more tea.

Therefore,

Bigger cups=better tea.

If I could afford a bucketful of tea each time I was thirsty, I would...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Earl Grey for me with a wee dash of milk (no not lemon, milk).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

Tea-Earl Grey-hot

Why does that sound familar to me? I've heard that expression used somewhere before and I can't quite put my finger on where I heard it. :confused:

And, Sarky, I'm going to make you extremely jealous when I tell you that I have a mug which I call "the bucket". It's a massive, green, enamel builders-type mug that holds about a gallon of tea! Okay, I'm exagerating that a bit but it's huge. And several years ago my father had a gigantic ceramic mug with "I Love My Tea!" (with love in the form of a red heart. You know the kind of thing I'm talking about) printed on it. I used to drink my tea out of it every chance I got. Needless to say, after a while, it developed a crack in the bottom and had to be thrown out. I still miss that mug! :(

As for myself, milk and two sugars, whether it's tea or coffee. Not too fussy about what kind of tea or coffee, either, but I do like Barrys or Lyon's Green Label and Nescafe Original for coffee. Never liked Maxwell House, for some reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

Why does that sound familar to me? I've heard that expression used somewhere before and I can't quite put my finger on where I heard it. :confused:

Cptn. Picard, perhaps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

Ah yeah, that's it Magic Monkey, from Star Trek.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

black, no sugar, leave teabag in mug, sometimes i throw in a mint teabag too

same for coffee, minus the mint

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

Mine has to be strong as poss, and Tetley's tea bag's are my choice which I always let brew then squeeze against the side of my giant insulated mug { a bit like a flask} keep's the tea hotter for longer.

Plenty of sugar, depending on my mood, and very little milk. Magic :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

How I make tea:

Find biggest cup available.

Put teabag in cup, flattened out but with most of the tea leaves in the middle.

Boil water.

Pour water in cup exactly when the water reaches boiling point, make sure the water falls on the little pile of tea in the middle of the teabag, make sure you fill the cup up as far as possible leaving a little space for milk.

Leave cup for five minutes or so.

Smell tea to be sure it's ready. If not strong enough yet, stir teabag a bit.

Remove teabag with spoon, squeezing teabag against side of cup to catch extra drops of tea.

Add a little milk.

Enjoy!

I usually drink earl grey or Russian earl grey tea with milk.

Sometimes I drink green tea or herbal tea with a slice of lemon as well (these, without milk, obviously)

Tea is one of the greatest little pleasures in life!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I can't stand tea, but I love coffee.
    My coffee is black, very strong, and very sweet. Mainlining the caffeine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Okie

Care of Eddie Izzard:-

"I like my women like I like my coffee... in a plastic cup"

:D

As for me:-

Tea = medium, three sugars, lotsa milk

Coffee = strong, four sugars, lotsa milk

There's nobody else coming in to work today, so I have free run of the canteen. The only thing better than tea is free tea.

*Slurps big mug of tea*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Sarn

Boil kettle. Put tea bag in mug while waiting. Pour water in. Wander off for ~10 min (or whenever I remember). Come back, remove and squeeze tea bag. Add few drops of milk. Perfect taste, perfect temperature (hate burning my tongue). Enjoy.

Very rarely drink coffee, mostly when out for dinner or on hols. Milk, 2 x sugar. After working in a coffee shop I despise cappucinos and lattes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I like mine nice and strong and with a little bit of milk!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Draíochta

No milk, no sugar, easy.
    I also have loads of chinese tea's, real chinese tea not in tea bags, and not shreadded tea leaves. I have green tea but if you drink too much it makes you light headed. So I stick mainly to tea bags.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭oeNeo

In a cup lol

Hot and in your lap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Is1ldur

So are you a 'Milk in First' or Milk in Last'. There was a very good article in the Guardian about this about a month ago.
    BTW, am I the only person who thinks that we are a bit sad for actually having a discussion about this....At least I have some excuse, I am in work.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I like Lyons Tea, green label, (red label is also OK), white with 3 sugars.

I drink tea made in the cup.

2. Put Tea-bag in to cup
    3. Pour water from kettle over the tea-bag
    4. Do stir. Also, squeeze it to the side, for an extra strong cup of tea.
    5. Add milk/sugar as desired

Also, I like to dip a biscuit into it.

I do not drink Coffee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭elivsvonchiaing

Barry's Tea. Classic blend. Seems to be a couple of other posters in concord with this.

I'll reluctantly drink other brands. When I was living overseas I left with a generous stock - which unfortunately ran out about 2 months before I had visitors. I tried about 4 different brands and could find nothing to match it. These partially used teas were inherited by the guy who took over my flat.

Trouble then was I couldn't find Barry's tea on the internet. Have to wonder can you buy it there now?

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,131 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I like tea strong, with dash of bainne and 2 sugars. Ditto for coffee. If I run out of sugar, I can just about drink tea without sugar, but not coffee.

A way I used to make coffee was to fill mug with milk, stir in spoon of coffee, place in microwave oven until it's hot, stir in all the coffee, and add sugar. Frothy and tasty though you wouldnt' feel too well if you drank too many! :)

Is1ldur wrote:
    So are you a 'Milk in First' or Milk in Last'. There was a very good article in the Guardian about this about a month ago.
    BTW, am I the only person who thinks that we are a bit sad for actually having a discussion about this....At least I have some excuse, I am in work.....

If you put the milk in first, it doesn't curdle.

That said, I've always put milk in last, putting it first goes against my whole tea philosophy. I like that little curdled bit of milk you see on the surface of the tea, it looks like a hubble photo of a galaxy in its shape and then you get to shake it out of existence with a spoon. Like a reminder of the fragility of being.

I also find the sight of milk without tea in a cup ugly.

simu wrote:
    If you put the milk in first, it doesn't curdle.

That said, I've always put milk in last, putting it first goes against my whole tea philosophy. I like that little curdled bit of milk you see on the surface of the tea, it looks like a hubble photo of a galaxy in its shape and then you get to shake it out of existence with a spoon. Like a reminder of the fragility of being.

I also find the sight of milk without tea in a cup ugly.
    Milk in last too by my preferences. Very interesting association. {temptation to allude to "My big fat greek wedding" - luckily managed to resist :o }

• Advertisement

Milk in last too by my preferences. Very interesting association. {temptation to allude to "My big fat greek wedding" - luckily managed to resist :o }

Greek Wedding? I'm not familiar with that.

simu wrote:
    Greek Wedding? I'm not familiar with that.
    I refer to the movie of same title not really worth watching tbh. The moment for me was when the father (I think) raves about how greek is the foundation of English :). Just thought Milk = gala -> galaxy -> Milky way. Its amazing how language influences our thoughts though!

I refer to the movie of same title not really worth watching tbh. The moment for me was when the father (I think) raves about how greek is the foundation of English :). Just thought Milk = gala -> galaxy -> Milky way. Its amazing how language influences our thoughts though!

Interesting. I think that many English and French words would feel very different if I had some Greek. You could see the everyday words that make up more abstract words, the way you do in German.

This thread is great!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭fozzle

MMmmmmmm, Barry's Gold Blend..... Black without any sugar, can't be diluting the tea, and I'm sweet enough already.

Coffee the same, the stronger the better. I love espressos, I've a baby espresso maker and half a pound of espresso beans I got in Italy recently, Yum!

Work only has Lyons Green Label. Not great but better than the Maxwell house the coffee drinkers are left with when the Nescafe Gold Blend runs out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭da_deadman

I'm not so bothered about the different brands of tea. Which is good, 'cause in work we only have the fair trade tea.

I like it with milk and 1 sugar. For years, I religiously had 2 sugars but this year I've been drinking more tea than ever before so I cut down the sugar to just one spoon.

I put the tea bag and sugar in the cup first and then the boiling water and then the milk. And the tea bag has to be left in the cup for a few minutes to get the full flavour. :D

And I never drink coffee, I just can't stand the stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,978 ✭✭✭445279.ie

I hate tea!! My mother used always make me drink a cup of tea before going to school to "warm my stomach", but I used to throw it down the sink!! :mad:

Advertisement