Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help me please

Options
  • 04-09-2004 12:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭

I am pretty green here so please be careful with my tender ego..
    I have two problems... at the moment.
    1... When i connect to the internet.. my home page does not open by itself. i have to click on it and wait...

2.. how can i reduce the amount programmes that start when i turn on my computer.. it takes ages?

help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭FT77

gubby wrote:
    I am pretty green here so please be careful with my tender ego..
    I have two problems... at the moment.
    1... When i connect to the internet.. my home page does not open by itself. i have to click on it and wait...

2.. how can i reduce the amount programmes that start when i turn on my computer.. it takes ages?

help would be greatly appreciated.

1. Have you got a home page set ie - http://www.google.ie/ ?

2. If you go into you add/remove program settings you can delete any of the programs that you don't want coming up when you start-up windows or you can just edit the settings of those programs so they will not pop up when you start-up....

I think ? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

your best bet if you're new to messing around with your pc would be to get a little utility that will do all the things you might want to do with your pc, like changing what starts with windows etc.

your homepage can be changed by going into (in internet explorer) tools, internet options and at the top either type in the name of your homepage (any website you want incidentally, it's up to you) or browse to a particular page first and then choose 'current'.

as for the startup thing, (google it ->) windows xp powertoys (you have windows xp don't you?) i think has a tool to edit what starts with windows, without you having to start messing with things manually. something i use is tune up utilities which you can downloada free trial of (google it).

if you're feeling adventurous and want to get into the bones of windows then this link http://www.tech-recipes.com/windows_tips240.html tells you how to do it manually, but steer clear if you're not familair with registry entries and such, or you could completely fubar your pc.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I'm amazed nobody has mentioned msconfig, to hell with powertoy add-ons and the registry, msconfig is much easier for new users.
    How to use msconfig - http://netsquirrel.com/msconfig/

also get yourself Spybot - http://security.kolla.de/

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Note that windows 2000 does not ship with msconfig if that's the OS you're using.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

Stephen wrote:
    Note that windows 2000 does not ship with msconfig if that's the OS you're using.

You can download it from a bunch of sites. Do a search of Google.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

No one seemed to fully explain this yet. Go to start>run, then type msconfig into the box and press ok. Go to the startup tab and uncheck anything you don't want to start up. You can safely disable everything but some of your programs might stop working. If your unsure about anything in there a google should tell you what it is and if you can disable it.

I sounds like you might have some spyware on your pc thats setting your hompage to about:blank

As Cabaal said you should get Spybot and run it.

If you can you should stop using Internet Explorer and move to a safer better browser. Look in my sig. ;)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Ciaran500 wrote:
    No one seemed to fully explain this yet. Go to start>run, then type msconfig into the box..... <SNIP>

I did, I gave a link to a site that explained it
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Damn, and it does it better than me :-(

Advertisement