Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

God it's frightening ?...

• 04-09-2004 1:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭

I just can not believe what has happened to so many innocent children in that part of Russia.

Is there an answer ?...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

probably not.

unless you get get people to stop hating each other and accept the fact that we're all in it (life/the world) together and that we need to get along to survive.

doesn't look like happening any time soon though does it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

As Sir Paul McCartney sang in the Beatles song, "Let it be " There has to be an answer, let it be " and as the late John Lennon sang in his own composition ?.. " Give peace a chance ".

How incredibly sad and unbelievable these horrific act's are becoming.

I dread to think where and how* is it all going to end ?..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

I honestly do not know what to say. I tried responding to the thread in Politics but I couldn't find the words to express my horror and sadness at this atrocity. Mt thoughts are with the children and the parents who must be feeling like they have been sent to hell.

Sometimes all you can do is shake your head and think "why!".

I just went into the shop and stared down at the front page pf all the newspapers. I feel so sad for these innocent children and sickened by the people who caused this. I look around and see such hypocrisy and greediness in the part of the world that we live in. I have a seven year old brother and i can't imagine what it would be like for him to have to go through that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

have they caught all these people yet!!! its soo sickening to think that things like that can happen!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

this is the type of world that we live in, the innocnet always suffer because of the decisions of those in power.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭Barry Aldwell

tba wrote:
    this is the type of world that we live in, the innocnet always suffer because of the decisions of those in power.
    I don't think "those in power" made the terrorists go into the school and take hostages.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

I don't think "those in power" made the terrorists go into the school and take hostages.

well, that discussion is for another time.
    Right now, its not a matter of politics, or history or cultural divisions, the fact is so many people have lost their lives for no real reason, and so many families will never get their loved ones back.
    It is truely depressing to see such inhumanities occour, and no matter how much you try to describe how you fell, its impossible to articulate your thoughts on such a sad time.

flogen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭Barry Aldwell

flogen wrote:
    well, that discussion is for another time.
    Right now, its not a matter of politics, or history or cultural divisions, the fact is so many people have lost their lives for no real reason, and so many families will never get their loved ones back.
    It is truely depressing to see such inhumanities occour, and no matter how much you try to describe how you fell, its impossible to articulate your thoughts on such a sad time.

flogen
    Well said flogen

Flogen,

I totally agree with you on, Quote:- " Right now, its not a matter of politics, or history or cultural divisions " end quote.

However, I disagree with you on, Quote: " It's impossible to articulate your thoughts on such a sad time " end quote.

Hence, my reason for starting this thread, at this time. I believe very strongly that people should try* and express how they feel about these increasingly inhumane act's, as it is therapeutic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Is1ldur

flogen wrote:
    so many people have lost their lives for no real reason,

I don't know enough about the situation and the whole history of it, however I can imagine that some would argue with that statement. I don't think the Chechen's have done their cause any good with this though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭[Preacher]

If some scumbag was to kill your brother/sister and you had him alone in a room, you'd kill him, right?

Thats what human nature boils down to and nothing is going to change that. Apply that on a global scale and thats why incidents like this happen. I'm not saying its a good thing at all, but idealism won't do anything to fix it I'm afraid.

Is1ldur wrote:
    I don't know enough about the situation and the whole history of it, however I can imagine that some would argue with that statement. I don't think the Chechen's have done their cause any good with this though.

you mean to tell me there is a case to be heard for murdering children who have NOTHING to do with the Chechneya conflict? Who gains from this situation? How does it really help anyone?

Paddy, do excuse me. I generalised when I should have personalised. I find it impossible to articulate my words at such a sad time. I can do what I can to describe how I feel at the moment re the school incident, but I don't think it would capture the anger, disgust, confusion and shock I am truely feeling. I just can't comprehend the mind set of these attackers.
    I'm sure others can do better.

flogen

Is1ldur,

In fairness, this thread is more of a humanatarian , than a political thread.

Your point I respectfully suggest is more appropriate to the Politic's forum, and yes I know how hard it is to de-politicise the issue, but I think you know what I mean, hopefully ?...

Flogen,

Thank's for the clarification.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭PeadarofAodh

Its all well and good to feel sorry for these innocent women and children who have lost their lives but why was there never a post anywhere talking about how the russian military forces have wiped out countless amounts of innocent families in chechnya.The simple fact is that it is never being reported on. Atrocities like this are almost common in Chechnya but nobody in the west sheds tears for the small Chechan children killed by Russian soldiers. In no way am I supporting the dreadful deeds committed by these people (Are they still people or have they crossed a line?) but its because of Russia's policies that Chechans have been driven to this. If everything and everyone you knew was murdered and destroyed, I dare say you wouldnt be so quick to damn what those monsters did. Open your eyes to whats happening,not just what gets lots of media attention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

gandalf wrote:
    I honestly do not know what to say. I tried responding to the thread in Politics but I couldn't find the words to express my horror and sadness at this atrocity. Mt thoughts are with the children and the parents who must be feeling like they have been sent to hell.

Sometimes all you can do is shake your head and think "why!".

When I started the first thread on this in politics I could'nt help but notice how quiet things were before AG2004 hit his "stride", words do fail one. The only strange comfort is that we've always been like this its just now its covered wall-to-wall as it happens. The fire-bombing of cities during WW2 was slaughter on an industrial scale but it was in black and white and seen sometime after the event and it could be justified as neccessary to defeat a greater evil as we rationalised the irrational.

It is cold comfort though...

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭elivsvonchiaing

Brings to mind Dunblayne. There have been 2 suicides among the kids that were there since. (To the best of my knowledge -could be more).

For everyone alive in the town - the horror will haunt them for the rest of their lives. Just hope Russian psychiatrics are better than they're bloody security services. :(

Ever since 9/11 in New York. Which I just by chance watched from the first mention live on Sky News, and then for hour upon hour in utter disbelief.

Then the Madrid train muliple bombs massacre of the innocent, how quickly our subconscious brain hides away the memory, in an attempt to protect our sanity.

Now, the unspeakable and most horrific live coverage of innocent children killed, maimed and no doubt psychologically damaged for life, for what. Surely, nothing in this world is more precious than the happiness and welfare of the next generation.

What effect is this having on the mindset of the innocent children throughout the world. Will they have any respect for human life, considering what they are now witnessing adults doing ?...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭PeadarofAodh

Paddy20 wrote:

What effect is this having on the mindset of the innocent children throughout the world. Will they have any respect for human life, considering what they are now witnessing adults doing ?...

I think most of the children that have seen and heard of the atrocities you name will realise that what these people are doing is no example to follow. And by seeing the reaction, the disgust and revulsion that greets these acts of inhumanity, I think it will have the opposite effect than the one you have mentioned. I'd say that the revulsion of terrorism is spreading to those of a younger age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Its all well and good to feel sorry for these innocent women and children who have lost their lives but why was there never a post anywhere talking about how the russian military forces have wiped out countless amounts of innocent families in chechnya.The simple fact is that it is never being reported on. Atrocities like this are almost common in Chechnya but nobody in the west sheds tears for the small Chechan children killed by Russian soldiers. In no way am I supporting the dreadful deeds committed by these people (Are they still people or have they crossed a line?) but its because of Russia's policies that Chechans have been driven to this. If everything and everyone you knew was murdered and destroyed, I dare say you wouldnt be so quick to damn what those monsters did. Open your eyes to whats happening,not just what gets lots of media attention.

agreed, sure look at Africa, no one gives a **** about cos its not covered in the media.

• Advertisement

It has already been pointed out that his is not a political thread.
    I see your point, and I completely agree with you, why didn't the world act the same to Russian atrocities, but that is, as I said, a discussion for another time and thread.
    Finding who is to blame, be it the terrorists or the reasons behind their terrorism is all well and good, but this is just taking time to try and understand as best we can exactly what has happened, and the effects it will have on those who have been a part of it in some way.

flogen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

All I can do is express my horror at the situation. I am on holidays at the moment, but the situation was starting when I left - I asked my family at home every day about it and am here in a net cafe in Obidos checking the news on the web.

Why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

humanity is sick. cant see it changing from this any time soon unfortunatly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭munkeehaven

sometimes i wonder why we are here at all......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

flogen wrote:
    It has already been pointed out that his is not a political thread.
    I see your point, and I completely agree with you, why didn't the world act the same to Russian atrocities, but that is, as I said, a discussion for another time and thread.
    Finding who is to blame, be it the terrorists or the reasons behind their terrorism is all well and good, but this is just taking time to try and understand as best we can exactly what has happened, and the effects it will have on those who have been a part of it in some way.

flogen
    Can we really do one without the other? To my mind, you don't do the victims of such attacks justice if you don't investigate the whys and hows of their deaths. Just as America should have respected the dead of September 11th by taking a long hard look at their foreign policy before charging out looking for revenge, so too should the Russians in this case. If you wound an animal and back it into a corner, there's only one thing that can happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Wacker

Sleepy, I think you're right. But I'd say Checnya is about one terrorist act away from being carpet-bombed into non-existence. Which solves nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Paddy20 wrote:
    Ever since 9/11 in New York. Which I just by chance watched from the first mention live on Sky News, and then for hour upon hour in utter disbelief.

Then the Madrid train muliple bombs massacre of the innocent, how quickly our subconscious brain hides away the memory, in an attempt to protect our sanity.

Now, the unspeakable and most horrific live coverage of innocent children killed, maimed and no doubt psychologically damaged for life, for what. Surely, nothing in this world is more precious than the happiness and welfare of the next generation.

Children are bouncy creatures. You'd be surprised at how strong/ignorant they are. I remember watching the pictures of the people running from the school, and one kid in particular, maybe 5 or 6 years old, clothes filthy dirty, munching away on biscuits or bread or whatever, very happy with it, oblivious to what was taking place around him.

I wouldn't worry too much about children who aren't directly affected by the conflict. Children don't watch the news, world events go straight over their heads, they're only concerned with themselves. I was 8 when the Berlin Wall came down, and I don't remember anything of it.

Seamus,

I am not sure if I agree with you entirely. Children do bounce back from 'normal' life incidents.

However, here we are talking about mindlowing unimaginable atrocities of a type that I certainly never heard of as a child, and they are occuring practically on a daily basis.

If they were part of a hollywood movie we would think the moviemaker's had gone over the brink, and the scene's we are witnessing live everyday on the TV new's would probably be cut out by the censor, as unsuitable for under 18's.

IMO children close to the incidents and those watching or reading about them, will be adversely effected psychologically, and that only add's to the sadness and pointless madness of it all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Paddy20 wrote:
    those watching or reading about them, will be adversely effected psychologically, and that only add's to the sadness and pointless madness of it all.
    That's part of my point though Paddy. Kids don't watch the news or read papers. There were plenty of atrocities during my childhood (and I'm sure yours too) that I never knew about until I read history books. Some may do, but by and large, children are blind to the world outside of their own.

My 2c

• Advertisement

Sleepy wrote:
    Can we really do one without the other? To my mind, you don't do the victims of such attacks justice if you don't investigate the whys and hows of their deaths. Just as America should have respected the dead of September 11th by taking a long hard look at their foreign policy before charging out looking for revenge, so too should the Russians in this case. If you wound an animal and back it into a corner, there's only one thing that can happen.

No, you see, I'm not saying we should all ignore the facts and not investigate etc. I'm just saying discussion on such is not for this forum, its for the Politics board.
    Of course this event has to be figured out, and Russia has to have a look at what went wrong, why it went wrong, and what is the best way forward.
    Our views on this are for another forum, though.

flogen

Seamus,

Yes, there were atrocities during my childhod, and they are indelibly imprinted on my subconscious since childhood.

You know, here in Donegal in the 'Finn Valley' area, which is very close to the border with Northern Ireland. We have the 'highest' suicide rate amongst 25-35 year olds in the whole of Europe.

I believe the inhumane act's carried out by different organisation's over the past 30 years of the 'trouble's' impacted on our local children and the true damage is now surfacing, and manifesting itself in these act's of self destruction.

Advertisement