Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Fiesta starting problems

Options
  • 04-09-2004 4:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭

I have a 1990 Ford Fiesta. 70% of the time it starts fine. But the rest of the time when I try to start it there is a clicking noise, from the starter motor I think, and the engine does not turn over. Some times it starts after a few trys other times a lot more. The car is perfect other than this problem. Do I need a new starter motor or is at an other problem.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

There are usually two causes for this problem. Your battery may have worn down, have a faulty cell or need topping up - check for 13.8v across the terminals, this compounds the next cause which is the contacts on the starter solenoid becoming pitted and worn. Fiesta starters aren't difficult to get out if you have a decent socket set and some experience but otherwise take it to an auto electrician (yellow pages/Keenans if you are in Galway) and have it repaired. Alternatively get one from a scrappy for €30. If the contacts are badly worn it is usual practice to get an exchange unit from an auto factors - you bring in the dead one, they give you a rebuilt one and it costs much less than a new one.

'ceptr.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Sounds like a dying starter alright.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭fun.bobby1981

My sister is having an almost identical problem with her Fiesta.

Up until yesterday she wa having intermittent problems where the Ignition would spark but not start.

Yesterday though the car was completely dead after being left to sit for the day. Turning the key just heard a click but no attempt to start.
    I attached jump leads from my car to hers and the Fiesta started immediately, without any problem at all.

I'm guessing that this shouldnt really have anything to do with the starter, but just a dying battery. Any other opinions?

Thanks v much

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

That's the battery f.bobby

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

My old Corsa had the same problem and if it was left for more then a day it wouldn't start at all. Had the battery replaced but there was no difference. Now, I know feck all about cars so I'm probably going to shame myself here, but in the end the alternator cap was leaking and the inside of it was full of mould. When it was replaced the car was fine again.

I'm not 100% sure it was the alternator, but definitely the cap of something was letting water in and when it was replaced it was fine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭itarumaa

kilasser wrote: »
    I have a 1990 Ford Fiesta. 70% of the time it starts fine. But the rest of the time when I try to start it there is a clicking noise, from the starter motor I think, and the engine does not turn over. Some times it starts after a few trys other times a lot more. The car is perfect other than this problem. Do I need a new starter motor or is at an other problem.

Check the grounding cable first (minus cable), both a connection to the battery and car body.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,322 ✭✭✭✭Esel

ergonomics wrote: »
    My old Corsa had the same problem and if it was left for more then a day it wouldn't start at all. Had the battery replaced but there was no difference. Now, I know feck all about cars so I'm probably going to shame myself here, but in the end the alternator cap was leaking and the inside of it was full of mould. When it was replaced the car was fine again.

I'm not 100% sure it was the alternator, but definitely the cap of something was letting water in and when it was replaced it was fine.
    Distributor cap?

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭LolaDub

My Mother is having a problem with her fiesta, its a 07 with 14k miles. When she's idle-parking or stopped at traffic lights theres a deep groaning noise coming from the engine. Any ideas what it could be? Clutch or exhaust perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

esel wrote: »
    Distributor cap?

Yes that's it. Sorry. OP, check yours out. If it's green and mouldy on the inside then that could be your problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Countryripple

Had the same problem with a fiesta a couple of years ago. 70% it was starting, then sometime it just wouldnt. Worst time was when i was in a long queue for the car wash and had the car off. When the queue moved it took ten minutes for me to start the car!!!! :o

Turned out to be the starter motor. I got one from a breakers for free, but the are not expensive, and got my mechanic to fit it. Though he said that some cable was burned out too which had to be replaced.

• Advertisement
Advertisement