Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reputation system

Options
  • 04-09-2004 7:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭

I dont actually understand how this works. I know how to give it and how to check my own thats about it.

I went up 13 points after one person gave me rep, i went up only one after another.

Im guessing the popularity of a person and how much rep they distribute matters?

As for this spreading it around thing. How many users, how much rep can I give a day.

Any other things like that

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

It's calculated based on various things like how many posts the other user has and other such crap. I wouldn't worry about it. It's not that important.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

Im confused about this too, does it give us good rating and bad or what? I've got 8 points but dont know if it's good or bad, one has a red mark beside it, is this bad, it has a comment, "Frasier aimed at people who don't know what's funny? Bzzzt. -Rep for that one!", surely I cant get a bad rep just cause I think fraiser is rubbish and I make a joke about it. But then I guess someone who finds fraiser funny wouldnt get my joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Um, you can't please all of the people all of the time. Unless you're some sort of hot chick or Santa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

Yeah, I'm kind of digging the system now. I was just worried people with no sense of humour would give me negative reps (as has happened twice) and this would have a bad effect on me and my account

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

amp wrote:
    Um, you can't please all of the people all of the time. Unless you're some sort of hot chick or Santa.

What if you're both, do they cancel eachother out?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Pink Bunny

I dont actually understand how this works. I know how to give it and how to check my own thats about it.

Yes, I'm confused about all this as well. Is there a thread somewhere that explains all this, because I can't find one. I even PM'd a moderator and they didn't know either.
    So, basically...I see how we can add to someones rep., but how do you read their's? And how do you check to see if anything is written about yourself? Are the green dots the indication?
    Thanks. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

One day we'll look back on this whole thing and ask ourselves what the fuss was over...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=1966690&postcount=30
    Is the Karma system enabled? : Yes
    (Users on the vBulletin web site can now spread around karma)
    Can I hide my Karma points? : No
    (Sorry, everybody is equal on our site, hiding behind a rock isn't an option)
    Default Karma : 10
    (Every member on our web site starts with 10 karma points)
    Number of Karma ratings to display : 10
    (If you receive Karma points from other members, up to 10 will be listed in the home of your user control panel. It will also display your total amount of Karma points)
    Administrator's Karma Power : 100
    (This setting is the number of Karma points that an administrator gives or takes with each karma click)
    Do I get Karma for being on-line/registered? : 30
    (For every 30 number of days, you gain 1 point of Karma-altering power)
    Do I get Karma for posting? : 200
    (For every 200 number of posts, you gain 1 point of Karma-altering power)
    Do I get Karma for having Karma? : 300
    (For every 300 points of Karma, you gain 1 point of Karma-altering power)
    Does my Karma count? (posts) : 50
    (This setting is the number of posts that you must have before your Karma-hits count towards other's Karma points)
    Does my Karma count? (general) : 10 (You must have more then 10 Karma points before your Karma hits count on others)
    Daily Karma clicks limit : 10
    (This is the number of Karma clicks that you may give over any 24 hour period. Administrators are exempt from this limit)
    Karma user spread : 10
    (This setting is the number of different users that a person must give Karma to before they can hit the same person again. Administrators are exempt from this limit)
    Pink Bunny wrote:
    but how do you read their's?

You can't. You see how many green/red apples they have, but don't see their exact score. You get an idea by moving your cursor over the apples to reveal a box with some text in it. Yours currently says "Pink Bunny is on a distinguished road"
    Pink Bunny wrote:
    And how do you check to see if anything is written about yourself?

Look at the blue menu bar towards the top of the page. Click on User CP and you're taken to your control panel, wehere you can view your last 15 reps and comments (if included)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Pink Bunny

Thank you!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭Danni

Can somebody please tell me what the GREY buttons are about? I’m assuming green is good rep, red is bad.. what’s grey??

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Danni wrote:
    Can somebody please tell me what the GREY buttons are about? I’m assuming green is good rep, red is bad.. what’s grey??
    How much rep someone can give depends on a few things. It's all in the settings that only the admins can see.

They can decide what the minimum rep someone must have to give rep, and the minimum posts someone must have to give rep, and if you have to be here a minimum amount of time. So for example, if you have <= 10 rep and <= 50 posts, you can't give anyone rep, and yours appears as a grey box in their userCP.

On top of this, the amount of rep one gives depends on these things. So if, for example, the admins set it that you can give one extra rep point per 200 posts, and one extra rep point per 100 rep points, then I, on 8100 posts would get 40 points plus 7 (for 700-ish rep) = 47 points to give away. Which is vastly overinflated. But it's also no taking into account my 3 watsed years here.

So basically, don't bother trying to calculate how much rep you can or cannot give. How rep on boards is calculated is in the hands of the admins, and I'd prefer if they didn't tell us the setup. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement