Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland Vs Switzerland (Pre Match Thread)

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

Damien Duff took a full part in training this morning
    Tuesday, September 07 2004 12:18

http://www.rte.ie/sport/2004/0907/duff.html
    Damien Duff took a full part in training this morning at the St Jakob stadium in Basel ahead of tomorrow's World Cup qualifier with Switzerland.

Duff had been expected to rest his injured ankle today ahead of tomorrow's vital game.

However, the ankle has been responding to treatment and the signs are good that the Chelsea winger will be fit to play tomorrow.

brilliant news !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I reckon a win is on the cards

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭dirkey_wynne

eirebhoy wrote:
    He's our best ever striker by a country mile. so. :D
    Oh Yeah. I forgot, Stapleton and Aldridge wouldn't even come close to him!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Dirkey, did you not see the last minute of the world cup game against Germany. Scoring absolutely critical goals like that is what marks the likes of Robbie out from "ordinary" international players.

He is class. And to bash him as much as you have over one bad game, which we won, is getting towards nonsense. No he didnt play well, and he did act the eejit - but he'll be back on song on Wednesday, and there'll be no messing with Roy around.

Stapelton and Aldridge were both very good players, but both different to Robbie. They both relied heavily on their teammates to create goals for them. Robbie on the other hand, as well as being a decent finisher of chances, also has the ability to make something happen out of nothing. He also got his goals in 52 games, it took Aldo and Stapo 70 games. He is the best striker we've ever had and from the moment he made his first appearance for Ireland, it was clear that he was always going to be.

I remember Niall Quinn saying around that time - "it really doesnt matter who (out of himself, Aldo, Stapo and Cascarino) becomes record leading scorer, we'll only be keeping it warm for Robbie".

Dirkey, did you not see the last minute of the world cup game against Germany. Scoring absolutely critical goals like that is what marks the likes of Robbie out from "ordinary" international players.

He is class. And to bash him as much as you have over one bad game, which we won, is getting towards nonsense. No he didnt play well, and he did act the eejit - but he'll be back on song on Wednesday, and there'll be no messing with Roy around.

Stapelton and Aldridge were both very good players, but both different to Robbie. They both relied heavily on their teammates to create goals for them. Robbie on the other hand, as well as being a decent finisher of chances, also has the ability to make something happen out of nothing. He also got his goals in 52 games, it took Aldo and Stapo 70 games. He is the best striker we've ever had and from the moment he made his first appearance for Ireland, it was clear that he was always going to be.

I remember Niall Quinn saying around that time - "it really doesnt matter who (out of himself, Aldo, Stapo and Cascarino) becomes record leading scorer, we'll only be keeping it warm for Robbie".
    Yes, I did see him in the final minute against Germany. And I've watched him in each of his games. But to say I'm making the judgement on him just because of Saturdays game is wrong. I've never had a high opinion of Robbie. If I could have either Aldo or Frank in the side ahead of him I sure would. To say they just waited around for others to make their chances is ridiculous - do you not remember the game plan under big Jack? It was put the ball long into the corners and FROM THE FRONT to close them down. The amount of work Aldo did for the Irish was the reason his scoring record wasn't comparable to his Liverpool scoring record.

As for Keane, as I say, I've watched him over the years, and he's a good player, but by no means top quality. Do you think Aldo/Stapleton, playing in the current Irish side would not have scored as many as he had? Of course they would. There is a reason Robbie gets moved on from each club he's been at, and is at a mid table club now. Aldo and Stapleton both played for top clubs at the top level for the majority of their careers.

As I said, I hope I'm proved wrong, but Robbie is not the kind of striker who'll bust his gut to dive in amongst the heads to score that vital goal - he's far happier playing fancy little tricks that come off 20% of the time at best.

It's just my opinion, and judging from earlier threads in this post it's one that's shared by a few people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Keane has another 4 or 5 years before he hits his prime. He has already broken the record at 24 while Aldridge didn't win a cap until he was 27. Aldridge also only scored 1 goal in his firt 27 games for Ireland.

When it comes to comparing players of the past to those of the present, people always lean towards those of the past. These days players rarely drink, don't smoke, twice as fitter, better coaching, better diets, etc. Every thing is in favour of the current players.

You say Keane is only playing for Spurs while Aldridge played for the great Liverpool team. Aldridge was play for Newport at 24 and didn't move to Liverpool until he was 29.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Kone

eirebhoy wrote:
    He has already broken the record at 24

I believe he has drawn level not broken it....... yet...........! ;)

eirebhoy wrote:
    Keane has another 4 or 5 years before he hits his prime. He has already broken the record at 24 while Aldridge didn't win a cap until he was 27. Aldridge also only scored 1 goal in his firt 27 games for Ireland.

When it comes to comparing players of the past to those of the present, people always lean towards those of the past. These days players rarely drink, don't smoke, twice as fitter, better coaching, better diets, etc. Every thing is in favour of the current players.
    Exactly. Everything is in favour of the players of today. I am of the opionion that if you put someone with the goalscoring ability of John Aldridge, into todays world of fitness, with the far more creative Irish team that we see today, playing the style of football that we do today, he would easily outscore Robbie Keane. This is just my opinion, and can in no way be proved! Obviously. The one thing I would say though, is look at his record while with Liverpool. He scored all over the place, as they were an attacking creative team. Then with Ireland, while he didn't score that often, he adapted to play a totally unfamiliar role to him, helping the side to unheard of levels of success. Who sealed our first world cup appearance anyone? And this is the key - truly great players adapt to become successful. This is what he did. Hopefully Keano will move on to the next level - as has been stated he's extremely young. I know he's the best we have today, but I really don't think he's better than the two I keep mentioning. Just my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

stay on the thread.. .. Aldridge is well gone and wont count for much tomorrow.

I would stick with robbie and Clinton up front. One is our best goal scorer ever who has missed a number of games. The other is lacking in confidence but is our only real option.

Kerr hands favourites tag to Swiss

Brian Kerr gives instructions to Roy Keane and Kenny Cunningham
    Tuesday, September 07 2004 1:54

http://www.rte.ie/sport/2004/0907/ireland.html
    Ireland manager Brian Kerr has insisted that Switzerland are favourites ahead of tomorrow's World Cup qualifying clash in Basle.

Kerr has admitted to surprise at the margin of Switzerland's opening Group Four win on Saturday, with coach Kobi Kuhn's side beating the Faroe Islands 6-0 courtesy of hat-tricks from 18-year-old sensation Johann Vonlanthen and Alexandre Rey.

The Swiss also have the psychological edge after beating the Republic home and away in the qualifying stages for Euro 2004, most notably with a 2-0 victory last October at the same venue for tomorrow's clash, St Jakob Park.

Although confidence is high in the Irish camp after their own opening triumph, the 3-0 win over Cyprus at Lansdowne Road, Kerr is eager to ensure the fervour following such an easy success does not spill over into blind optimism.

"We expected Switzerland to win on Saturday, although the number of goals they scored was surprising given the biggest defeat the Faroes suffered in qualification for the European Championship was 3-1 to Germany," said Kerr.

"They did not concede too many in the group, so it was unusual for them. The extent of the victory, that they (Switzerland) won so clearly, that surprised me. Switzerland also twice beat us fair and square in qualification for the European Championship, and they have much the same team from when we last played them.

"I think they have only one player out who would probably play against us in Alexander Frei, who is suspended, while we are in different circumstances. We have three or four players we could have in the starting XI who are not available to us, so they are in the position of favourites. They are at home, they have just had a 6-0 win, so that is what we start from."

Filed by Johnny Proby

I think thats all mind games by Kerr, trying to take the pressure off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Looks like Duff is fit as he trained today.

My Team:

Given

Carr----O'Brien
    Cunningham----Maybury

Keane
    Kilbane
    Duff

Reid

O'Mhorrisáin
    Keane

If Duff is ruled out Midfield should be

Reid
    Keane
    Kavanagh
    Kilbane

To be fair, Finnan did not impress me against the Bulgarians (the Bulgarian winger got round him so many times) and although he didn't do anything special in his brief spell on Saturday. Maybury has played LB for Ireland before and looked assured.

Either way thats a good solid team.

I have a feeling we won't lose. That's just my gut feeling, but on paper they are definitely the favourites. I mean, they were at the last major tournament, and did beat us twice in the last campaign. That's on paper. Though I'm sure Brian himself is confident of his sides ability, and as you say he would have said that to take the pressure off us slightly. Good management.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

My team would be

Given

Finnan----O'Brien
    Cunningham----Maybury

Reid
    Keane
    Kilbane
    Duff

Morrisson
    Keane

I have not been impressed with Carr recently and I think that Finnan would be a better option. Also had he been in the squad I would have stuck Harte in at left back.

Not a great fan of Harte's. I think Kilbane makes quite a good left back - solid in the tackle, strong and good in the air. I think I'd stick with Carr - used always be a big admirer of Finnan but from the few times I've seen him for Liverpool this year he hasn't been that good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Kone

eirebhoy wrote:

Just to add. If anyone wants a free Ireland shirt here's how. Stick E100 France to beat the Faroe's or Slovakia to beat Leichtenstein (as they are the safest bets). Then put 4 more bets on (10 cent bets if you like). Its only for new accounts with gamebookers.
    http://www.gamebookers.ie/cgi-bin/explain_highlight.cgi?id=57060

Nice one eirebhoy, I stuck €100 on France to win (I'm fecked if there is a massive upset!) and aboutt €1 each on 5 other bets, I've already gotten an email from gamebookers promising delivery of my brand new shirt as soon as Umbro supply them! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Kone wrote:
    Nice one eirebhoy, I stuck €100 on France to win (I'm fecked if there is a massive upset!) and aboutt €1 each on 5 other bets, I've already gotten an email from gamebookers promising delivery of my brand new shirt as soon as Umbro supply them! :D
    I shouldn't have told anyone. I was just about to do it and I noticed they've changed the rules to the following:

NB:No more than €50 of the initial minimum €100 can be bet on odds-on events (i.e. events with odds under 2.0 in decimals) to qualify for the free shirt promo.

Any tips as to how I'll lessen the risk?

/edit - I'm actually in less risk than I would have been. I put E48 on Romania and France. They both won't lose so if one loses I will only lose the price of the jersey which I would have bought anyway. :D

http://homepage.eircom.net/~gearoidw01/bet.JPG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Anyone think its best if we maybe get someone like Maybury to do a Gary Kelly on Marc Overmars sort of job , to that young wonderkid Vonlanthen , that guy scars the **** outta me :eek: .(as a defender myself ;) )

Its just an option , but I doubt Kerr will do something like that .

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Or get Roy Keane to do what he did to Overmars in the first minute of that Holland game on Vonlanthen. :D

That should sort him out!

Advertisement