Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to install wifi on Zyxel from IOL BB

• 04-09-2004 9:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I have the standard Zyxel 632 from Esat BT (IOL) and bought a Linksys WRT54G wifi router, but can't get the two to work together. Each works fine on their own, but not together. Have tried changing IP addresses, turning off DHCP on one or the other, but suspect that I need to configure the Zyxel to be just a modem rather than a router, and leave the routing function to Linksys.

ESAT BT were a waste of time in helping on this, apart from pointing me to this bulletin board!

Any help you have would be very gratefully accepted.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

I have a Netgear WGR614 Wireless router so im expecting my setup to be something similar to you.

I have the modem as its default 192.168.1.1 and that is connected to the "internet/wan" port on the router. The DHCP etc. on the Zyxel is turned off.

My router [192.168.0.1] has DHCP turned on and does all the work. I have it set to using a static IP address. I use the following information:
    IP: 192.168.1.34 [For the Zyxel modem]
    Subnet: 255.255.255.0
    Gateway: 192.168.1.1
    DNS: 192.168.1.1

Im not exactly sure of the setup of the Linksys stuff but I'm assuming using similar settings to me it should work ok.

I sent u a PM mathildathenun with my router configs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 mathildathenun

Thanks very much. That worked exactly as you said.

Pity ESAT couldn't tell you this directly.

Ok a few ppl have asked me for the same info so I'll just post it here.

Ok here are my settings from the Prestige and Linksys
    It was fairly straight-forward connecting them up but it did have me scratching my head for a while.

Basicly you put the Zyxcel in Bridge mode as shown in the screen shot. This means u will have to give the linksys the login details.

If you make a mistake and have the Zyxel in bridge mode you will have to either clear the routers settings by holding down the reset button or configure your computer manually to an ip address in the 192.168.1.0 network to access the zyxels settings.( IE manually give your computer an address of 192.168.1.40 and a subnet of 255.255.255.0) You will have to be plugged into plugged into the Zyxcel to change its settings as it will not have an address when connected in Bridge mode.

http://www.compsoc.com/~cbyrne/linksys.JPG

http://www.compsoc.com/~cbyrne/prestige.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 ferozs

Folks- I am facing the same issue as mathildathenun... can get my laptop wireles radio to work perfectly with the linksys box. Also, the Zyxel modem is working fine.....However, I cant get both to work...Can someone help me with the configurations? Thx ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 786 ✭✭✭center15

First of all you should turn off the router function of the zyxel by doing the following To set the P623R-T1 in bridge mode telnet to the device.

In Menu 1 set Bridge to Yes and Route to No
    In Menu 3.2 turn off DHCP
    In Menu 4 set encapsulation to RFC1483,and set Network Address
    Translation to None
    In Menu 11.1 on the right column set route to no and bridge to yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Diabolus

Thanks very much. That worked exactly as you said.

Pity ESAT couldn't tell you this directly.

Sadly this issue is to do with your own configuration.
    If ESAT started supporting everyones individual products they
    would have to study every router and know the configs.
    Thats why they can get ur BB working on the Product Provided.

This issue is yours and your alone.
    On the otherhand i will pass these guides around but it is only 1 product.

Advertisement