Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Merc S class 280 Mpg ?

Options
  • 04-09-2004 9:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭

Hey lads a quick question anyone know how many Mpg a S class 280 1994 would return ? so any one have one of these or would i be better off getting a 1999 2,2 liter toyota camry ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,393 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Depends what kind of driving you do and how heavy your foot is. Driven gently enough, but not at all miss Daisy, with a mix of longer trips and city traffic, you should easily get more than 20mpg

Merc or Camry LOL - what do you want in a car apart from it being at least a certain size?

BTW that S-Class is the only one ever I don't love the looks of, but a camry :dunno:

Suppose it's a lifestyle statement that you are a solid person that appreciates reliable transport but has no interest whatsoever in class or style, or in cars for that matter

Camry is best selling car in the States

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Camry is a grand car best we have had so far hence why where considering getting another one i heard the merc s-class 280 uses 15.6 liters per 100km .....or so says greenpeace
    has no interest whatsoever in class or style

Opinions on class and style change from person to person

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

S-Class or Camry what a choice! Seriously so long as the extra road tax on a 2.8 does'nt bother you BUY THE MERC!!! You will get no respect in Toyota no matter how faultess is runs. I agree with Unkle, only if you have no soul buy a Camry. Of course being a 10 year old Merc it'll need to have a damned fine service record (nothing less than a complete dealer history).

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,393 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

mike65 wrote:
    Of course being a 10 year old Merc it'll need to have a damned fine service record (nothing less than a complete dealer history)

Great if it comes with that, but unlikely in Ireland. Mercs of that age in general, and the S-class in particular, have excellent build quality and should last forever if properly taken care of. Have it checked out very carefully before you buy though. Repairs could be expensive

Still bizmark, why the choice between these cars? What do you want in your car and what's your budget? You obviously have a solid NCB and would not mind relatively high insurance and running costs - just like myself :)
    bizmark wrote:
    the merc s-class 280 uses 15.6 liters per 100km .....or so says greenpeace

The official mpg in the mix is 11.8 liters per 100km. This roughly is 24mpg (15.6 is 18mpg). Those tests are conducted on rolling roads and will rarely be matched in real life though. My estimate is best ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭michaelanthony

They have anaogue fuel gauges that show the fuel comsumption in MPG. Put your foot down hard, it will drop to <10MPG. Keeps the revs fairly low and the needle will settle around 30 on an S320.

• Advertisement
Advertisement