Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

recommend me a simple phone.

Options
  • 05-09-2004 12:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭

I have a T610 and its ok, but you have to press loads of buttons to send a text or make a phone call. And you can't see the display on a sunny day. And the screensaver turns itself on so you cant see if you've missed a call. And the reception can be a bit erratic.

I'm a bit fed up with it by now.

All i do is phone and text, i don't need anything fancy like a camera or bluetooth or than that. But i want a small phone, well made, and not dog-ugly.

I was thinking of going back to a Nokia, like the 6100. Is there anything else good like that, out now or coming out soon? I've seen the dinky little Panasonic phones as well - are they any good?

One of my favourite phones was a 3210, if they still made them i'd probably buy one.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭FT77

silverside wrote:
    I have a T610 and its ok, but you have to press loads of buttons to send a text or make a phone call. And you can't see the display on a sunny day. And the screensaver turns itself on so you cant see if you've missed a call. And the reception can be a bit erratic.

I'm a bit fed up with it by now.

All i do is phone and text, i don't need anything fancy like a camera or bluetooth or than that. But i want a small phone, well made, and not dog-ugly.

I was thinking of going back to a Nokia, like the 6100. Is there anything else good like that, out now or coming out soon? I've seen the dinky little Panasonic phones as well - are they any good?

One of my favourite phones was a 3210, if they still made them i'd probably buy one.

You can't beat a Nokia 3310,3330,3410,3510 etc any Noka Dct-3 phone is your best bet ! ;)

edit...........

oh yeah and remember these........

5110_3_b.gif

I still have one it was the first Nokia i bought (6 years ago :eek: ) - my mother was using it until i got her a Nokia 3510i......and still working 100% :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭silverside

the 3310's etc are so big and heavy though.

Had a look for the panasonic GD55 but seems to be discontinued. Pity.

Yeah I had a 5110 as well. My 2nd favourite phone.
    And a 5210. And a 6210. All good phones.

Oh yeah and a 1611. Now that was a brick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

I've a Nokia 5100. Great phone - screensaver can be turned off permanently, but it won't come on if you've received a message or missed a call. One button takes you straight into a new text message. Plus it's the sturdiest phone ever. My favourite feature is the torch though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭FT77

silverside wrote:
    Oh yeah and a 1611. Now that was a brick.

LOL............... :D

I think you should go for the Nokia 3100 , i use one my-self and i love it....

it doesn't have bluetooth or infra-red but it has gprs internet and mms messaging...... it's handy when i'm in work and i can read/reply my e-mails :) ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭Falkorre

lol my sister is using the red one pictured in the pos above while her 3650 is being repaired, still working fine after all these years lol :)

B

• Advertisement

I have a Nokia 5110, 3310 and Panasonic GD50 lying around. Sadly the two Nokias have knackered batteries but you can get replacement 3310 ones for only 15 quid in places.

Phones with colour LCDs can be notoriously difficult to see in sunlight.

The Panasonic GD50 is an extremely basic phone but its very light and has vibrate+ring simultaneously, something even the new Motorolas don't! It is pretty old though, detects my O2 SIM card as "IRL DIGIFONE", and detects Meteor as IRL-03!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

Yeah I'd second that recommendation of a Nokia 3100. It's a nice little phone that does all the basics.

I think I'll try to find a GD55. Two of my friends have them and they are really tiny.

failing that a 6100, nice and small.

thanks for your suggestions (which I have just ignored :) ).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

silverside wrote:

(at least on an unbranded/non operator modified model) to avoid pressing loads of buttons to get to deep menu items you can use the My shortcuts menu item, particularly the first one which is assigned to the "left joystick" action when in the default screen, very hand for starting a new text message... also holding down a number key (2-9) for a few sec will open your contacts/phone book in the same way holding down one will call your voice mail when set-up

the screen saver 'animation' can be deactivated in the display settings, which gives it a bit more time but it will still time out after a while... mainly to conserve battery life.. would have been better if they made the clock a bit brighter and included a call/msg icon like the Series 60s

it has come in for criticism about the display in bright sunlight alright , although i've always got around that by moving it into my shadow or adjusting the angle to avoid any reflections and using a brigher UI 'theme' can also help a bit... (although not experiencing bright sunny days all that often in Dublin it hasn't been a huge issue for me ;)) but the likes of the T630 and Z600 used a different screen which is easier to view in very bright conditions

BrianG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭wolfman

A friend of mine has one of these and is selling it as he finds it too awkward for texting.
    I'll see him tomorrow and find out how much he wants if you are still interested
    silverside wrote:
    I think I'll try to find a GD55.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

a warrior of a phone.

Did me for three years in college. Nigh on indestructible, incredible battery life, great reception.

They really don't make them like that any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭smokey2

silverside wrote:
    failing that a 6100, nice and small.
    I've got one ere I'm sellin if you're interested!!

€140 spotless condition in box etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭wolfman

Hi Silverside

Just flicking through old messages and realised I never came back to you about the GD55. He still has it available if you are interested

• Registered Users Posts: 4,114 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

I'd also recommend the 3100. I've had one since June. Does all the basics, it's small and light and it looks good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭themessiah

Hi,

Id recommend the new Nokia 2650 , I got it yesterday and I am over the moon with it . Its very simple to use just flip open to speak and close to stop the phone call and plus only a few people have it in Ireland .

I got it for 229 euro SimFree and it worked straight away with my 02 sim card.

There some more pictures on the ad which I bought it nokia.JPEG from

http://www.freeads.ie/Classifieds/ClassifiedsAdDetails.asp?ID=2787
    nokia1.JPEG
    Hope this helps,

Mark

guys,
    thanks for the offers
    i am on the other side of the world at the moment so am not interested in buying any of ye're phones. I actually got a 5110 for dirt cheap to use while i am here, the only thing it doesnt have is predictive text :(

Advertisement