Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

motorbikes in the north question????

Options
  • 05-09-2004 2:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

hi all

Very simple!!!!

I live in the North/40 years old/full car liscense 20years+/no claims

CAN I RIDE ANY BIKE I WANT ??--AS LONG AS IT HAS A 33BHP RESTRICTOR FITTED ???---AND I DISPLAY 'L' PLATES??? ----WITHOUT THE NEED FOR ANY OTHER BIKE TESTS ETC?? (unless i choose to do the bike test to get rid of the 'L' plates and restrictor eventually)

I checked with the local Gestapo here and they said i could

But friends tell me they've got it wrong and i must do a test

HAS ANYONE ANY VIEWS OR A DEFINITIVE ANSWER TO THIS BEFORE I BUY A BIKE I WON'T BE ALLOWED TO RIDE???

Thanks
    Vic
    Portadown

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭a_ominous

Hi Vic
    I don't know if there are any special derogations for the North, but in UK mainland you'd have to do a CBT (compulsory basic training) after which you'll get your provisonal licence. This will allow you to ride a bike up to the 33BHP restriction limit.
    Given your age, you should also consider doing the DAS (Direct Access S??). This means you can ride an unrestricted bike by doing a more advanced test. have a look in the yellow pages, talk to any of the bike instructors. They should be able to help. Bike shops might be able to help, but don't forget, they're in business to sell bikes and you might come out with bike you're not supposed to ride ;)

Down south, a car driver (full B licence) can drive a scooter up to 50cc and less than 45kph without having to do a bike test. Any more than that, and it's back to school...

Advertisement