Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

12x dvd burners for 99 euro in peats

• 05-09-2004 11:59am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭

i see that peats are selling 12x dvd burners for 99 euro which isnt that bad

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

what model is that?

16x +/-R and 4x dual layer NEC 3500 from svp for €92.50 inc delivery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭decob

it's an Artec 12x Internal DVD-Rewriter

seems only to be single layer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭skibum

John R wrote:
    what model is that?

I'm new here so excuse my ignorance, who are "svp"? :o

That is a nice price for a dual layer burner. Anybody know where to get dual layer media that won't break the bank? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭weemcd

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Ronan

Maplins are Selling an LG 12x +/-, Dual Layer for €82. They are currently out of stock but are taking orders.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Any good links or threads on burning (backup!) copies of commercial dvds?
    The 4 letter search limit is a pain for searching for threads.

I have heard it is not as simple as burning cds and you need cracks etc.

Also is there any threads on which is better - or +

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Jorinn

rubadub wrote:
    Any good links or threads on burning (backup!) copies of commercial dvds?
    The 4 letter search limit is a pain for searching for threads.

I have heard it is not as simple as burning cds and you need cracks etc.

Also is there any threads on which is better - or +
    www.doom9.net

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,563 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Ronan wrote:
    Maplins are Selling an LG 12x +/-, Dual Layer for €82. They are currently out of stock but are taking orders.

any idea of the model no.?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,749 ✭✭✭degsie

Damn, cant find the LG dual layer dvd rewriter on the maplin website. Does anybody have the catalog number for this item? Thx

The Exact model number isn't on the receipt, but looking at the LG website this is the only one that meets the specs

http://us.lge.com/Product/proddetail.do?action=computer&prodId=GSA4120B&categoryId=020206

• Advertisement

Thanks for that Ronan, if thats the drive it's definitely a bargain but i rang up maplins in Galway yesterday and the guy said that it's not dvd ram compatible so I don't know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Akula

DVD ram is crap and pretty much redundant now.

Use DVD-R for write once.
    Use DVD+RW for rewrite.

Go for the NEC... by far the best drive out there at the moment in terms of speed and burn quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭dubdvd

i was in maplins last week and the guy told me that there was a mistake made on that burner that its sold out at that price but when they get the next lot in it will rise to about 120 odd it was wrote as english £ but never changed over to euro he said they will cop on with the next lot coming in

yeah, I was told the same. However I was also told if you booked it at this price they are obliged to sell it to you at it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 ur-lord

Guys the story with this drive is that the price is basically a mistake, its meant to be 80 pounds sterling but for whatever reason there was a mess up and is selling here for €80!!! we dont have it in stock but if you order it, it will take 2 weeks max to get it in for you. This must be ordered by the 30th of September latest! 01 8782388

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 ur-lord

and by the by thats €80 INCLUDING VAT unlike peats €80 + vat=€99

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,622 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

So you will be selling it for 80 Euro if you order by 30/09, that correct?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭charloman

i am new to all this dvd recording and rewriting.... i'm looking into buying a burner. whats the story with dvd +/- rw??? what is the +/- for? i know there are + discs and - discs out there, but how are they different and is one better than the other? do they have any limitations?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Round Cable

charloman wrote:
    i am new to all this dvd recording and rewriting.... i'm looking into buying a burner. whats the story with dvd +/- rw??? what is the +/- for? i know there are + discs and - discs out there, but how are they different and is one better than the other? do they have any limitations?

It would be best to get a dual format one, so you don't have to worry about discs to buy, with a PC writer there is very little difference between the formats, it's when you come to a DVD recorder (for TV) that the differences matter and the + format wins, however I think it's less compatable than - on some DVD players.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Cionn

SVP seem to have great prices I know this is a bit greedy but does anybody have any coupon number that will give addional amounts off. I presume it works a bit like CDWow.

Cheers

Cionn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

John R wrote:
    what model is that?

it is only 80 + 10 post from komplett. i got it from SVP with the 5% money off code and 100 dvds for 130 euro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 557 ✭✭✭-Toppy-

decob wrote:
    it's an Artec 12x Internal DVD-Rewriter

seems only to be single layer

Nooooo!!! Dont do it!

I know 4 or 5 people who bought those burners from various other resellers around the country and I have just heard the same problem over and over again.
    Any media burns x1 speed rather than at x8 or x12 speed

See thread
    http://www.techimo.com/forum/t120302.html

-Toppy-

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭steamboat

Just ordered one of the 82EUR LG DVD rewriters from Maplin in Galway on Monday evening. Got a call this morning to say it was in. Just picked it up there - must say I'm pretty chuffed. Ronan's guess was right - the model is the GSA-4120B, which is DVD-RAM compatible. Have a look here
    Also picked up 100 DVD-r's for 49.20EUR while I was there. (Hi-Space brand - by one 50 cake-box, get one free)

Great stuff, they rang me yesterday so i'll be collecting mine at the weekend. Let us know how you get on with those dvds, seems like a real bargain.

one thing though, when i was on the phone to maplin they said the drives were 79.99, how come you ended up paying €82?

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭steamboat

Not sure what the story is with the price. The guy in Maplin told me it was 79EUR, but then when he rang it up on the till it came to 82EUR...? Didn't have much time on my hands last night, but I managed to burn three films (MPEG-2 fomat) to a single DVD-r. No problems there, played back perfectly in my Philips 625 DVD player. As far as I can remember, the max burn speed I could select was 4x - I suspect this is a down to the media rather than the burner??

Advertisement