Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL modems?

• 05-09-2004 6:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭

What modems to NTL supply (rent free yeah?) they seem to offer a USB and a ethernet one. I'm planning on getting the ethernet one so I can add a wirless access point to use with the built in wireless on my laptop.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

We got a combo USB/Eth cable modem here... Works perfectly fine since 2 weeks ago...

Just got upgraded from 1 Mbps to 1.5Mbps yesterday... Had to ring NTL and the next day they tweaked it...

Immediately then they rang me and asked me to reboot the PC and the modem... 1.5Mbps is so sweet...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Verdammt

i just got the 750kb option yesterday, it's swweeeeeeeeet.

ALL HAIL NTL*, DEATH TO EIRCOM.

*except in case's where they constantly fu*k up and leave you waiting until 4:30 pm for a bloody engineer to turn up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Tell me about it, i've had 1.5mbps for over 3 months now... :-) mine got upgraded early cus i had so much fecking trouble getting reconnected in the first place. NTL insisted that my line was 100% disconnected from the network and that my old modem got taken away... which it hadn't, talked to about 15 people on the phone before i got someone who would actually help me. And she managed to twig giving me another 3 months free trial, even tho i was connected before :-) Then after about two weeks i was upgraded 1.5mbps. Yes it is sweet... average speeds of 190kbps... whooop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

Verdammt wrote:
    i just got the 750kb option yesterday, it's swweeeeeeeeet.

ALL HAIL NTL*, DEATH TO EIRCOM.

*except in case's where they constantly fu*k up and leave you waiting until 4:30 pm for a bloody engineer to turn up.

@ verdammt,

just seen your post on the NTL you got yesterday i got mine on friday and you got same package as me....ive done a test to see what speed i was getting and its come back at this website

http://www.adslguide.org.uk/tools/speedtest.asp

saying my speed is 644k(actual spped) and true estimated speed is 694....

are you getting higher then this or is this the speed we are getting on a 750k package...was thinking of ringing them,or if anyone else knows id appreciate it

thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

mad m wrote:

are you getting higher then this or is this the speed we are getting on a 750k package...was thinking of ringing them,or if anyone else knows id appreciate it
    Well, you're not going to get 694 on a 512K connection, are you?

That's a perfectly acceptable result on a 750k connection - don't waste your time, or NTLs, complaining about it.

• Advertisement

mad m wrote:
    @ verdammt,

just seen your post on the NTL you got yesterday i got mine on friday and you got same package as me....ive done a test to see what speed i was getting and its come back at this website

http://www.adslguide.org.uk/tools/speedtest.asp

thanks

I use http://specials.zdnet.co.uk/misc/band-test/speedtest50.html normally, it's been giving me a some strange spike's sometimes, but that can happen with any broadband service. Check out my attachment for a reading I just got, this speed lasted for a few minutes.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭celticfc

What modems to NTL supply (rent free yeah?) they seem to offer a USB and a ethernet one. I'm planning on getting the ethernet one so I can add a wirless access point to use with the built in wireless on my laptop.

Yep, the rent-free modem they supply has USB & Ethernet sockets, but you can only use one at a time, ethernet is always advised though if you can use it. If you have no ethernet card/port, they give you a cd with the USB drivers on it anyway.

I got the 750 kbps package installed a few weeks ago and the speed is great. :D

The installer said this was the standard modem they use now (ntl:home 200), nice sleek lookin' little silver thing. :)

ntlmodem.JPG

Ripwave wrote:
    Well, you're not going to get 694 on a 512K connection, are you?

That's a perfectly acceptable result on a 750k connection - don't waste your time, or NTLs, complaining about it.

well the only reason i was inquirying was that they had a package before upgrading to 750 which was 600k(for same money also) so im in or around 600kbs,so i was thinking why should i pay for something im not getting,if they say 750k ive every right like the rest of us to get the speed i paid for,now i know it can go up and down,i was just curious about it as im new to BB....RIP 56k thank god!

some on here have said they were still on 600k and rang NTL and then they sorted there speed upgrade,i never said i was going to complain about it,its an eye opener broadband is....

But having said all that i did Verdammt's test and as pic shows im getting what im paying for....

mad m wrote:
    well the only reason i was inquirying was that they had a package before upgrading to 750 which was 600k(for same money also) so im in or around 600kbs,so i was thinking why should i pay for something im not getting,if they say 750k ive every right like the rest of us to get the speed i paid for
    FFS, you are getting what you paid for!!!

How the hell would you get 694 from a 600 connection?

There are overheads on any TCP/IP connection, and any test that relies on accessing resources outside your ISPs network will also be slowed down by network latency. Anything over 80% of the stated maximum is more than acceptable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Temper, ripwave :)

• Advertisement

Moriarty wrote:
    Temper, ripwave :)

I was just about to say that !!

Jaysus lads chill out. Before you know it they'll be arguing over who is the best Picard or Kirk !!

jaysus chill out.....dont tell me your a 56ker not able to get BB....jaysus....must be this indian summer wave....go dip your head in sink,and leave it there till maybe your going to pass out....this is what boards is for,people like me who are new to Broadband and needing a helping hand......remind me to steer clear of you in future....

mad m wrote:
    jaysus chill out.....dont tell me your a 56ker not able to get BB....jaysus....must be this indian summer wave....go dip your head in sink,and leave it there till maybe your going to pass out....this is what boards is for,people like me who are new to Broadband and needing a helping hand......remind me to steer clear of you in future....
    Yeah, right, you PMed on Friday night, because you only got 500k from a US based speedtest site, and I advised you then that you need to use a more local site, and that anything over 80% was acceptable.

How on earth can you take offense when someone points out that asking whether a speed of 694k means that you didn't get upgraded from 600k is a stupid question?

As for the "new to broadband" excuse, you're well aware that speedtests are variable (you've already seen different results on your own connection when testing against different servers), so you don't get a free ride on dumb questions.

im not taking offence and i did ask you about it and i said thanks but whats your problem,u have problem with newbies?
    what makes u all high and mighty as for being new to BB iam and thats why im asking so many questions as ive read on some threads some had 600k from Ntl when they should of had 750k...thats all i was asking........enough said!!!

@RicardoSmith sorry btw for steering from main thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Verdammt wrote:
    I was just about to say that !!
    That's just the way Ripwave is: *ANGRY* 24/7 - 365 He likes heated debates ;)
    Verdammt wrote:
    Jaysus lads chill out. Before you know it they'll be arguing over who is the best Picard or Kirk !!
    Picard

mad m wrote:
    ive read on some threads some had 600k from Ntl when they should of had 750k...thats all i was asking........enough said!!!
    You said you got 694 from a UK site - how could you possibly interpret that as not being upgraded from 600 to 750?

That's just the way Ripwave is: *ANGRY* 24/7 - 365 He likes heated debates
    Not angry, just intolerant of blatant stupidity (like someone who can follow up 3 times and still not explain how you could think your connection wasn't upgraded to 750k, even when you're getting a 694k response on a speedtest).

And I don't like heated debates, I like informed debates.

(Yeah, I know, some of you can't tell the difference).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

agro, agro...goooon poke him in the eye..... :D

Other than "its faster" any differences to be aware of with NTL and the three packages its offering? Ping times ok? Do you have a static IP etc. Suitable for a VPN?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Hey, look over there! A two-headed monkey!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement