Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who is/will be studying what?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

oh no, i really hope that they're just saying it. you've no idea how long i've wanted to go to that damn thing for!

ah he's right, you should have at least one ball in your 4 years...I'd say you'll have 4 of them.

You have to bear in mind it was the outgoing SU council that said there would be no more, and since it was their last big act really they wanted it full.....same as ever, you'd have to ask the new SU people to get a realistic answer...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Triceradon wrote:
    ah he's right, you should have at least one ball in your 4 years...I'd say you'll have 4 of them.

You have to bear in mind it was the outgoing SU council that said there would be no more, and since it was their last big act really they wanted it full.....same as ever, you'd have to ask the new SU people to get a realistic answer...
    And yet from what i remember hearing from friends and family in trinity they did f*** all in promoting it and so mesed that plan up a bit. ah well :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

crash_000 wrote:
    And yet from what i remember hearing from friends and family in trinity they did f*** all in promoting it and so mesed that plan up a bit. ah well :p

It was less of that and more the case of at the last minute changing the headliner to the devine comedy. As a result loads of people suddenly wanted to go a week before hand.

Just out of interest and slightly off-topic, where's the GF going Crash.

Boston wrote:
    It was less of that and more the case of at the last minute changing the headliner to the devine comedy. As a result loads of people suddenly wanted to go a week before hand.

what he said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭aodh_rua

Boston wrote:
    From what I remember(looked into comp sci allot last year) it's a recognised engineering degree you get (after jumping through some hoops and two years experience) and also it's under Here, second and third courses.

And It wouldn't surprise me if they had space in the new building.

Right - first off, I'm a PhD student in the computer science department and I lecture on the engineering degree (I've a BA BAI in engineering too). I'm just heading into my 8th year in Trinity - including one as a sabbatical officer in the SU (kind of explains what's to follow :-))

Just to clear up the confusion - students who do computer science get a BA(mod) which is accredited by the Institution of Engineers of Ireland. They are not engineers per se, but their qualification is professionally certified, and with that they can, with four years relevant professional experience, apply to become chartered engineers. All a little academic really, as chartered status is not of any real use to computer engineers as opposed to civil engineers where the title is a requirement for certain positions.

Next the new building - I'm on the planning committee for it and it does have cs space (approximately 2 floors of research labs and one dedicated lecture theatre). The rest of the building includes some more general lecture theatres, and additional research facilities for neurosciences and material sciences.

And lastly, Mike Brady is the Director of Teaching in the CS department and the co-ordinator of the engineering degree. David Abrahamson is the head of department and Brian Foley is the Faculty Dean.

Best of luck to any budding engineers or CS types - hope you enjoy your time!

Thanks for that. Really cleared up afew things.

what course u lecture out of interest? i'd one of u's for a joint subject with engineers last year.....

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

can anyone use the computer lab's, or is it just cs students?

can anyone use the computer lab's, or is it just cs students?

most computer labs are open to all students. But there are computer labs in the Ham that are just for comp sci, engineers (after first year) and probably some related degrees.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

ahh grand so

get used to using Mac's. that goes for you too crash mike loves his mac computers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭Sev

I suspected this forum would show up sooner or later.
    As for me, im going into 2nd year TP. Good luck to all you to-be freshers. have fun fresher's week... I recommend going to see the hypnotist show (if/when its on), surely there cant be anything more fun than seeing your friends humiliate themselves.

comp sci have a seperate domain controller so they have their own access lists, usually engineers have access in 2nd year for doing 2E3, and in 3/4th if they are doing comp eng. Science don't have access.
    Adv. of comp sci labs : usually newer/better machines and air con, bigger desks, nicer seats...

Maths dept also has their own comps, using a network booted system, in which students logon to the servers vs a local box and all applications are run there with the window data being shown locally. Generally quieter and nice machines, servers are nice.....
    Adv. of maths : faster comp, generally faster net, more space, linux + bsd systems, ipv6 enabled.
    Accounts only for maths/TP students and tsm+sci who are doing maths.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭sci0x

Don't suppose any of you Trinity College people know Threasa Kelliher? She went to the same school as me in Kerry and won a scholarship or something to Trinity College coz she got all A1s in her leaving. If you do know her, how's she doing and whats she studying?

Sev wrote:
    I suspected this forum would show up sooner or later.
    As for me, im going into 2nd year TP. Good luck to all you to-be freshers. have fun fresher's week... I recommend going to see the hypnotist show (if/when its on), surely there cant be anything more fun than seeing your friends humiliate themselves.

how'd u get on in yer exams btw ste?
    [EDIT]Nevermind forgot TP's have no choices in 2nd[/EDIT]

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

sci0x wrote:
    Don't suppose any of you Trinity College people know Threasa Kelliher? She went to the same school as me in Kerry and won a scholarship or something to Trinity College coz she got all A1s in her leaving. If you do know her, how's she doing and whats she studying?

About 16000 people in the college.. In my year and faculty alone I know a couple of people who got all A1's. You'd be very lucky if someone knew her..

I had a friend who moved to Kerry a few years ago, his name is Sam Dempsey, he's tall with blonde hair. You wouldn't know him by any chance?
    ;)

aodh_rua wrote:
    Next the new building - I'm on the planning committee for it and it does have cs space (approximately 2 floors of research labs and one dedicated lecture theatre). The rest of the building includes some more general lecture theatres, and additional research facilities for neurosciences and material sciences.

We were told it by staff that it was gonna be for Computational Phys and Comp Chem and named as such. Obviously not used exclusively by them of course (just like the IAMS). But you sure the CS space isn't for Comp phys/chem? (Don't the CS have enough with the O' Reilly institute and those double-decker prefabs beside this new building ;) )

I also heard that the basement was gonna be mostly dedicated to a nano-robotics lab. But to counteract the vibrations caused by the dart line right beside the feckin thing that it was gonna be a "suspended" basement/lab of sorts.. How true is this?
    I was also under the impression that the senior physics labs were gonna be in this building..

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

sci0x wrote:

don't know her mate, but according to the student finder she doing medicine. or somebody with a very similar name....

apexaviour wrote:
    We were told it by staff that it was gonna be for Computational Phys and Comp Chem and named as such. Obviously not used exclusively by them of course (just like the IAMS). But you sure the CS space isn't for Comp phys/chem? (Don't the CS have enough with the O' Reilly institute and those double-decker prefabs beside this new building ;) )
    CS still have quite a few offices off campus, so they still need more space. And i doubt computational physics and chem, sure there isn't even being comp physics being run this year like
    I was also under the impression that the senior physics labs were gonna be in this building..
    senior? SF/JS/SS? i doubt they would be either tbh, sniam ain't around that long, and it has labs for em.......

• Advertisement

pekelly wrote:
    don't know her mate, but according to the student finder she doing medicine. or somebody with a very similar name....

Now why didn't I think of doin that.. I use that thing all the time! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Triceradon: you had me at nicer seats tbh :)

Triceradon wrote:
    senior? SF/JS/SS? i doubt they would be either tbh,
    Sorry, I meant sophistor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭sci0x

apexaviour wrote:
    About 16000 people in the college.. In my year and faculty alone I know a couple of people who got all A1's. You'd be very lucky if someone knew her..

I had a friend who moved to Kerry a few years ago, his name is Sam Dempsey, he's tall with blonde hair. You wouldn't know him by any chance?
    ;)
    No dont know him sorry.

Wow medicine, good on her!

Triceradon wrote:
    CS still have quite a few offices off campus, so they still need more space. And i doubt computational physics and chem, sure there isn't even being comp physics being run this year like

senior? SF/JS/SS? i doubt they would be either tbh, sniam ain't around that long, and it has labs for em.......

CS need all the space they can get (1200 undergrads, 200 postgrads and then academics). They definitely have two floors of lab space for research (ground and first to be precise). As for the computational physics and chemistry courses - haven't heard about them being involved but since the courses seem to be in trouble I doubt there's space.

As for technology in the basement - most of that space is for lecture theatres although the neuroscience people are having an MRI machine installed and I'd imagine it'll go in the basement.

As for my course - it's just to the engineers Triceradon so I think you've escaped me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭Chick

pekelly wrote:

Where is the student finder, kelly and can anyone use it? that could realy come in useful to find out if some people in my year got it. although is it just for student currently at tcd or incoming included as well?

Where is the student finder, kelly and can anyone use it? that could realy come in useful to find out if some people in my year got it. although is it just for student currently at tcd or incoming included as well?

The link to the People Finder is on the TCD local home page. It can only be accessed from within College or from outside with a valid username and password (which you don't get until registration).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭Chick

Oh ok thanks looks like ill have to wait so!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Kappar

I think it is available to you know here http://peoplefinder.tcd.ie/pls/peoplefinder/telephone_system_pub.PEOPLE_FINDER.main but I don't think that incoming students are on it yet

EDIT

I tell a lie I am on it.

and oh no my new tcd email is differnt from last year's, I really liked my last year's one..

• Advertisement

aodh_rua, what you know of the 3rd and 4th year comp eng courses :

http://www.maths.tcd.ie/pub/official/Courses00-01/372.html
    and
    http://www.maths.tcd.ie/pub/official/Courses00-01/362.html

? easy/hard?

Advertisement