Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BB in Portarlington?

• 05-09-2004 7:35pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I might be purchasing a house in Portarlington Co.Laois,it would make a great investment as this house is a lot cheaper than my current home is valued atand a bit bigger also.
    Can anyone say whether there is Broadband in Portarlington or any plans for it please?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43 peema

Dcully wrote:
    Can anyone say whether there is Broadband in Portarlington or any plans for it please?

No there isn't, and their plans seem to be "string them along but don't give it to them".

I've been muttering about this in the broadband availiability thread, the current line is "before the end of December 2004" but that was in July. I expect that will change to "some time in 2005" around Christmas.

Grr.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

The Governments broadband site broadband.gov.ie says that everyone except Eircom are providing DSL in Portlaoise, and ADSL Now explicitly list Portarlington as being covered for xDSL.

http://www.adslnow.ie/county.php?id=laois

[EDIT]ESAT have their own DSL available in Portlaoise - it may extend to cover some of Portarlington
    http://www.esatbt.com/ie/products/access/dsl/availability.html
    [/EDIT]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 269 ✭✭gombín

Almost ready to go. Will post back done.

Regards.

Ripwave wrote:
    The Governments broadband site broadband.gov.ie says that everyone except Eircom are providing DSL in Portlaoise, and ADSL Now explicitly list Portarlington as being covered for xDSL.
    [/EDIT]

Yeah, I phoned ESAT asking about it and they said not, I suspect broadband.gov.ie of MSU in this case.
    Ripwave wrote:
    [EDIT]ESAT have their own DSL available in Portlaoise - it may extend to cover some of Portarlington
    http://www.esatbt.com/ie/products/access/dsl/availability.html
    [/EDIT]

Portalaoise is about 12 miles from Portarlington, which I reckon would be out of range even if we didn't have our own exchange, which we do.
    gomb&#237 wrote: »
    Almost ready to go. Will post back done.

Ooh! Shiny. I watch with interest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

peema wrote:
    Yeah, I phoned ESAT asking about it and they said not, I suspect broadband.gov.ie of MSU in this case.
    The Government just report what the providers tell them - it really isn't up to some Civil Servant to go and double check every entry that is submitted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

I was reliably informed by eircom that DSL was planned to be deployed in Portarlington between April ‘04-June ‘04. We are now into September. Is there a 3 month delay in eircoms DSL rollout schedule??
    thegills

thegills wrote:
    I was reliably informed by eircom that DSL was planned to be deployed in Portarlington between April ‘04-June ‘04. We are now into September. Is there a 3 month delay in eircoms DSL rollout schedule??
    thegills

Reliably informed? By whom?

It's been an ongoing quest for me as detailed at: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=1894782

They said April, then between April and June (up into the first week of July) and then before the end of December.

Exchange launched.

Regards.

gomb&#237 wrote: »
    Exchange launched.

Regards.

Woo! Am I right in thinking it'll be a while yet before they've compiled the pass/fail list?

Many thanks.

Now all I have to worry about is getting a pass on the line, then getting it setup despite the current wiring structure for Phonewatch (hardwired to the alarm in the attic, then a conduit down to the main phone, getting billing sorted out...

Should be mostly done. Any that aren't, you should be able to request a test result as normal.

Regards.
    peema wrote:
    Woo! Am I right in thinking it'll be a while yet before they've compiled the pass/fail list?
    QUOTE]

• Advertisement
Advertisement