Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SP2 warning reg. activation

Options
  • 05-09-2004 7:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭

before you install sp2 on your windows xp machine, be aware that if you're the sort of person who doesn't like calling MS to get windows activated (you know who you are ;)), and have used something to circumvent it, then you may have some problems afterwards activation 're-activated' with 30 days left to use xp.

there's plenty of tools out there to fix this for sp1 but they are just a little thin on the ground for sp2, although there is one or two tools out there that will fix the problem.

just a word of warning.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

I never had any problems as such, and I'm using XP Pro with SP1 slipstreamed that I downloaded from IRC. Its never requested any sort of activation from me, which I find great.

EDIT: The version of SP2 I'm using is the corporate redistributable that went up on the MS site at the start of August.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

it's only if you're using pro, not the corporate version. corp. never had any activation at all anyway.

I am using XP pro. Its the corporte version of Sp2 that I have.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Fenster wrote:
    I am using XP pro. Its the corporte version of Sp2 that I have.
    There is no corp version of SP2, there's a network install version and the one available for home users and thats it

Cabaal wrote:
    There is no corp version of SP2, there's a network install version and the one available for home users and thats it

Well, uh, its the redistributable version at any rate, no matter its name. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

ah well, it doesn't cause problems all the time. i have a laptop that worked fine, but another laptop that didn't and a desktop that didn't.

i think i may have patched the laptop that didn't in safe mode though which might be why it didn't reactivate WPA.

maybe.

nm, wrong thread, please disregard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ColmOT [MSFT]

If you have a legal copy of Windows XP, you should not be asked to reactivate. Most people who get their PCs from an OEM manufacturer will never have to activate.
    Only people who install from their own CDs, who reinstall Windows XP or change enough hardware will be required to reactivate.

Advertisement