Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phantom FM Make BCI Licence Shortlist

Options
  • 05-09-2004 9:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

Just a quick one to let you know that the BCI are meeting on Monday September 6th and will (hopefully) be announcing the shortlist of applicants for the rock music licence. Those shortlisted will then be invited to make presentations in public, to the BCI in October before a final decision is made.

Updates here as they happen.

Regards,

Pete Reed
    reed@phantomfm.com
    www.phantomfm.com

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Rockiemalt

Best of luck. Hope it all goes well. Will it be announced in newspaper type thingies or pressconference type thingies?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭polarbelly

best of luck!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Fingers crossed for Phantom!

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭legofsalmon

YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:)

Well done guys, I just heard the news, well done to the lot of you yet again! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭alternate DJ

the very best of luck to everyone involved hopefully all your hard work will be rewarded

• Advertisement

woooooooooooooooo

well done! fantastic news!

now just to get rid of them Zed fm alot....

Bazookas I tells ya.... done of this computer virus lark :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Smurfpiss

so did they make the shortlist?i cant see the news online anywhere, damn the BCI...tell us already!!!ok they obviously did if your all happy.so its just them and the zed fm crowd so?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 LeonaK

YESSSSSS! (that's Northern Ireland for "jolly good lads")

Its in the bag now - I KNOW it!

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Ooooh, nice one. And you have seen off the might of UTV and Capital Radio.. :)

Fingers crossed now for Monday 11th. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

Who else made the shortlist?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭ozone6280

Zed fm and phantomfm made it. Congradulations to phantomfm and hope all the very hard work behind the scenes pays and God knows its alot of hard work and sleeples
    nights.
    Best of luck from evryone here in the USA.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

Well done to the Phantom crew. Can't wait to hear you back on air.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭Achille

the announcement is on the BCI site:

http://www.bci.ie/news_releases/news_191.html

well done guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭snowy (REAL)

:p:p:D:Dhoooorah For Phantom
    So when they say public that means anyone can go and watch yeah?
    We should all go and support Phantom :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭SimonMaher

Hello all,

Copy of the press release issued after the announcement.

Public hearings take place on Monday October 11th at 2.30pm in the Conrad Hotel on Earlsfort Terrace.

All are welcome!

Regards,

Pete Reed
    reed@phantomfm.com
    www.phantomfm.com

Phantom FM short-listed by the BCI for the Alternative Rock Service radio licence.

Press Release

Dated: 7 September 2004, for immediate release.

Dublin Rock Radio Limited, the company behind the Phantom FM application is delighted to announce that they have been short listed by the Broadcasting Commission of Ireland (BCI) for the Dublin alternative rock radio service. Phantom FM is one of two consortia that have been selected out of five original applicants.

The Phantom consortium consists of a number of individuals and groups who have extensive experience in both the Irish radio and music industries. The consortium includes: Wireless Media Ltd. (Phantom FM founders), Gaiety Investments (Denis Desmond of MCD), Principal Management (Paul Mc Guinness and Trevor Bowen), Graham Molloy '(Evolution PR & Marketing), Brian Molloy (Westland Studios and Lunar Records), Frank Gleeson (owner of Whelans and The Village venues) and Paul Kavanagh (Radio Consultant). The station will have initial funding of €2 million available and will operate on a low cost business model.

Phantom FM has considerable experience as alternative rock radio broadcaster following two successful temporary radio licences and a long running and popular web based radio services. "We are very much looking forward to the public hearings," said Phantom FM spokesman Simon Maher, "We believe that we have assembled an experienced and capable consortium and a music and programming policy that will deliver an innovative and exciting rock music service for Dubliners". Maher also stresses the emphasis Phantom FM will place on actively promoting new unsigned Irish bands.

The public hearings will take place on October 11th at 2.30pm in the Conrad Hotel, Dublin. A final decision regarding the award of the licence will be made by the BCI in early November.

Ends.

The Phantom FM licence application can be viewed at the BCI website:
    http://www.bci.ie/l_app.html#alternative

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 robwDIT

for immediate release eh today its the 12th. im grumpy cause i was in work today at half 7
    best of luck nyway

ahh the excitement! :D

I've just gotten the day off for the presentations so i'll be there at least, i'm sure caz will be about someplace too as per usual!! :rolleyes:

hehhe, that i will be...
    maybe a certain autamata person will be there too! or probabaly not... but i will most definietly be there

rockie your obsessed. Haven't you heard? Ken is taken. He's mine now! hmm im considering taking the day off college and joining ye..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Tombo

Great! I cant wait to get phantom back. My phone logo is a sorry reminder of better times these days. best of luck Pete and the phantom crew! HOw soom after 11th october can you be up and running all going well?

ok, 11th of october is officaly bunk of college/school/work day and go to presentations. not officaly endoresed by phantom!

hehhe, just realised my state is registered user....anyone get it?

autamata song...

*cough*

obsessed..

damn i never time those two things together...

someday smurf! you'll get it! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

I see nial stokes' name on the zed FM application on that link. is that a cause for concern given that he is the former chair man of the IRTC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

Congratulations on seeing off the XFM bid. I'm particularly pleased with this as on about page 3 of their application they had some marketeer saying how he'd be happy to push his brands like adidas on the new xfm service. As if this admission of the use of music radio to sell product to trendy 15-34 year olds was a good thing! (incidentally, I'm 32 and I've got to laugh at being in the same listenership bracket as 15 years olds, but hey).

Anyway, good luck with the bid, though I suspect it's going to be down to the good ol' Irish way of doing things. In other words, who has more buddies and more clout? Nialo Stokes or Paul McGuinness? My money's on McGuinness.

Also, we could really do without Hot Press radio. It would be just like the mag, 10 pages of how Oasis and The Smiths are really Irish bands, some drivel about Lesbian issues, guff about how we should annex the 6 counties and the like.

Hot Press Hall of Fame? how we laughed...

Good luck Phantom. But remember no selling out when you get the licence. And no spinis. ;)

Oh fun fun excitment! monday is approacing :)

We're off to see the wizard..... well really, we're off to see the phantom fm and evil zed fm license presentations....

doesn't have the same ring though. :D

• Advertisement

phantom crew are kinda like wizards i suppose...who else is coming huh?

Advertisement