Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Proverbes

Options
  • 05-09-2004 10:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭

I don't know how much luck I'll have with this since some actual parisiens were stuck as to it's meaning but for the proverbe

"Avec des 'si', on mettrait Paris en bouteille" - quel est le sens figure?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

strawberry wrote:
    I don't know how much luck I'll have with this since some actual parisiens were stuck as to it's meaning but for the proverbe

"Avec des 'si', on mettrait Paris en bouteille" - quel est le sens figure?

My interpretation -

A person keeps saying if I do this, if I do that, if I do a whole load of stuff, I'll end up with my desired result but the person forgets that all these "if" (si) clauses are impossible to achieve, the end result can't be achieved.

So, if you could shrink Paris, if you made all the people buildings really small, if you found a bottle you could somehow put Paris and all the Parisiens into, you'd have Paris in a bottle! But, of course, you couldn't really do that because the "if" clauses above are impossible to achieve.

Advertisement