Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New smileys look squarey

Options
  • 06-09-2004 1:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭

This is something I noticed since the change over to VB3. All the smilies look like they have been clipped down, so they don't look round. I'm thinking this is just me and my firefox, cause if it happened on IE, i think i'd be noticed before hand. It's the same on Konqueror, Mozilla and Epiphany.

If they are supposed to look like that, then change them, they look horrible!

Here is a screen shot of what I see :
    smilies.png
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

Syth wrote:
    If they are supposed to look like that, then change them, they look horrible!

Goodness, I don't think you have much support for your request. Oh well, it looks like not everyone agrees with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

bring back the ubb smilies!!
    smile.gifredface.giffrowntongue.gifwinkcool.gifrolleyes.gifmad.gifeek.gifconfused.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

You can do what you want with the rest, but don't touch this little fella :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

I think these new ones are just the most smashing smilies you can get this side of the Sahara.
    Everytime I see one.......ooooh.....there I go again.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

My only gripe is that some of them are animated. Its epsically horrible when someone uses an unusual amount of the rollie eye ones. Oh, and the sad smily looks more confused and angry than sad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Syth

Well is there some way making them look more roundy? They currently look like someone had to clip the images and had to leave out a couple of lines on each side. By increasing each smily by a few pixels in each direction they could be made whole again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Yeah I think they look a bit square aswell... but if you've ever seen an x-ray of a smileys skull.. you'll see that they have squared heads anyway, so it's more realistic this way.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I think that they are horrible as well

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Yeah they are a bit carp in fairness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Etain

I've kept silent long enough....I don't like the new smilies either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Don't like them either.

'Volvo, they're boxy but they're good'

Doesn't cut it with me.

Personally I hate smilies in general. Any chance of getting rid of them completly?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

If you use the cloud skin they don't look boxy.

Maybe someone would be nice enough to clip the edges from them to be compatible with all skins.

Also, Syth, that isn't a screen shot as it contains transparency (well it does for me at least). Therefore to users of cloud skins they would seem exactly as we see them anyway. Just for future reference.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Gah youngsters these days......back in the good old days of the Interweb we had to use morse code to represent our smilies :p

• Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

bring back the ubb smilies!!
    Yeah. Free the VBB13! :p

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

I like your thinking Victor.

I took the old smileys from boards before the upgrade and changed the gammy ones on phpbb2 to them on eirtaku.com. Don't particularily bother me, I just think quite a few of them don't represent the "emote" they appear to convey accurately.

/me pats Eek on head

Yes, the candy is right through here...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

amp wrote:
    You can do what you want with the rest, but don't touch this little fella :eek:

I could not agree more!
    I have even started making comments which require using him at the end of the sentence :eek:
    he represents me on so many levels! :eek:

eggbert you say? :eek:
    yes....
    I like it

Gordon wrote:
    If you use the cloud skin they don't look boxy.
    Also, Syth, that isn't a screen shot as it contains transparency (well it does for me at least). Therefore to users of cloud skins they would seem exactly as we see them anyway. Just for future reference.

I took a screenshot of a reply page, I then deleted the yellowy background. I reckoned some people would have different backgrounds. So it is an actual screen shot (notice that there's no animation).

However I look at that post using the Cloud skin and it looks fine. No squaryness. I think that could be because of the black background of the Cloud skin. Since it's black you can't see the partial black outline that does fully outline it.

Yes, exactly Syth.

How does this look on other skins bod.gif ?

If it's ok I can do the rest tomorrow or the next day (except for the animated ones, I'm not going to do them)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Gordon wrote:
    Yes, exactly Syth.

How does this look on other skins bod.gif ?

If it's ok I can do the rest tomorrow or the next day (except for the animated ones, I'm not going to do them)

Think it would look better with a thin black (edit: circular) ring around it.

It would be better for my feng shui that way.

yeah they probably do look better with a black round border but I don't think that;s within my capabilities right now. this is my latest, maybe someone can improve on the borders.

1biggrin%20copy.gif

1biggrin.gif

1confused.gif

1cool.gif

1frown.gif

1mad.gif

1redface.gif

1rolleyes-1dd.gif

1rolleyes.gif

1smile.gif

1tongue.gif

1wink.gif

bod.gif

I'm spent, I really should get some exercise.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Why does the first one only have 1 tooth? Did he lose the rest in an unfortunate photoshop accident that is no longer spoken about in public?

I couldn't fit two teeth on him!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

I suspect you just didn't try hard enough Gordie

• Advertisement

Gordon wrote:
    yeah they probably do look better with a black round border but I don't think that;s within my capabilities right now. this is my latest, maybe someone can improve on the borders.

1biggrin%20copy.gif

1biggrin.gif

1confused.gif

1cool.gif

1frown.gif

1mad.gif

1redface.gif

1rolleyes-1dd.gif

1rolleyes.gif

1smile.gif

1tongue.gif

1wink.gif

bod.gif

I'm spent, I really should get some exercise.
    They look cool. Methinks some yoinking and img tags will be used. Cheers

Advertisement