Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

need some advise on networking ADSL

• 06-09-2004 4:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭

I have eircom RADSL broadband, I have 4 PCs which i would like to network in my home. I have the following equipment.... Netopia modem/router (1 ethernet and 1 usb ports) a 4 port linksys dsl router and an 8 port linksys switch.

My main problems are...

- the netopia modem/router is only 2 port...
    - The linksys 4 port dsl router takes a ethernet connector input rather than a phone connector....
    - Im not experienced with the 8 port switch and not sure what i can do with it....

Im looking for advise on how to run my 4 PCs using this gear or any good suggestions ..... thks....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭rash

How do you currently connect to the internet? are you using the Netopia as an actual router, or is it running in bridged mode.

If the Netopia is running as a router, you can connect the Netopia to the 8 Port switch.

otherwise you may have to setup as:
    netopia -> linksys router -> 8 port switch -> PCs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭Ishindar

i currently have 2 PCs connected through the netopia router. I tried
    netopia -> linksys router -> PCs but 2 routers wont work together. I will try connecting the netopia to the 8 port switch as you suggest and let u know.
    Maybe netopia -> linksys -> PCs will work if the netopia is in bridged mode but ill have to research if its possible to run the netopia in bridged mode. thks :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

I have Dlink 604+ very happy with it!

has 4 ports, wireless, firewall

my phone line goes into it, and then my connection is spread to 4 pcs, each in different room

Advertisement