Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Petrol quality

Options
  • 06-09-2004 8:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭

I've heard some people talking about different octane ratings at different filling stations, but is there any actual proof? This is probably due to brands, but would Texaco 95 Unleaded be and different to Shell 95 Unleaded? I usually wait until the tank is running on fumes and then fill up at the nearest petrol station. Is it worth my while spending time and money putting a special type of fuel in?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Tommy Vercetti

Regular unleaded is 95 octane, so in theory, Shell 95 and Esso 95 should be the same, but in practise, all you've got is their word that it isn't literally full of ****e. And I wouldn't trust them one bit. Super Unleaded is 97 octane, supposedly, and will set you back at least 124c per litre, I tend to get roughly 2mpg more on this than 95 octane, which still makes it very expensive. It depends on the car you are using really, and what you are using it for. If you want higher octane, the best thing to use is an octane booster.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Dur - I was thinking I saw the thread on petrol quality on a different website. :o

Thanks for the input Tommy, but how certain about that are you? I mean, 2mpg isn't a huge difference. Nobody seems to have actual proof. It probably doesn't exist.......unless some car manufacturer has done tests.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

If your car is designed to run on 95RON then thats what you should use. If you feel your engine is lacking some "umph!" then chances are the fuel system needs a tweak.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

I use any 95RON fuel I can find and then stick in a bottle of Millers Octane Boost to bring it up to around 97/98 which is what my car is mapped for. Using a high octane fuel on a car mapped for 95 is not going to do damage and will give the slightest improvement in trottle responce but nothing much.

In terms of quaility of fuel I have found if I fill in certain garages the the responce aint what it would be if I filled it in another. This could all be in my head but I've heard a few ppl complain about the same problem when they fill there.

But the cheapest place around me is a TOP and the quailty is fine and heck at 3c a litre cheaper than nearly every other garage in town I'll stick to them.

Advertisement