Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Real go for Gerrard

• 06-09-2004 9:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭

Oh God, well it looks like the soap opera that is Real Madrid is back for another round. It seems they've announced Stevie Gerrard as their number one priority target for 2005.

I wonder will the lure of Madrid and Mickey Owen be too much?

article

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Don't think he particularly cares about Mickey but Murinho has openly admitted that Gerrard was his number 1 target. Could be an early start to a bidding war I guess.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

At least this time if they do go for him, he has a long contract ahead ( :p ) of him and we can command a massive fee

Dub13 wrote:
    Atleast this time if they do go for him, he has a long contract behind him and we can command a massive fee
    Ahead even?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭midget lord

I think the title of the thread is a bit misleading. They havent made an offer for him, so to say they are going for him is untrue.

Anyway, lets see what happens at anfield first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

the only player who dont worry about leaving is stevie. he personifies loyalty.

he aint goin no where!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

I think a 150,000 p/w wage can do a lot to a players loyalty. Cause if there is a bidding war and both teams go all-out for him that could probably be around what he is offered. :p

I think a combination of good wages and the chance to win leagues / European cups would see Gerrard looking to leave. Given that he was almost Chelseas in the Summer I think it's a bit much to say he epitmizes loyalty.

A lot will depend on how liverpool are doing - whether he feels he can win these things here. I think that is the more important point for him then money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

p.pete wrote:

A lot will depend on how liverpool are doing - whether he feels he can win these things here. I think that is the more important point for him then money.

He'll be off so ;)

Its starting early this season Real usually wait until the new year to start their mind games. I'm not so sure Gerrard will leave liveerpool as whatever pressure made him change his mind on the Chelseas offer will not have changed. Then again the lure of Real is probably more tempting and Young Micky may have cleared the path by making the move without much hassle.

I hope this means we will be spared the annual Vieira to Real saga.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

p.pete wrote:
    Given that he was almost Chelseas in the Summer I think it's a bit much to say he epitmizes loyalty.

do i have to remiend you that he changed his mind and stayed at anfield, because his loyalty shone through?

Benitez assured him that good times were ahead!

Gerrard is the most loyal player in the premier league, if not europe. his track record shows this!! he signed on the dotted line as soon as the contract was offered by liverpool, while mickey owen hesitated for 12 months!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

VinnyL wrote:

Gerrard is the most loyal player in the premier league, if not europe. his track record shows this!! he signed on the dotted line as soon as the contract was offered by liverpool, while mickey owen hesitated for 12 months!

Aye and theres nothing like a few threats against him and his family to keep him that way.

• Advertisement

The Muppet wrote:
    Its starting early this season Real usually wait until the new year to start their mind games.
    I think you're flattering them a little too much there - I don't acknowledge them with quite as much inteligence. Ferguson is a lot cleverer in this regard, he'll do something clever like admitting admiration for a player when they are at a low point like when RVN was injured.

It seems to me their tactics are a little more bullyish and unsettling then clever. They make noises about a player and how much they want them, players quite often respond thinking they'll be on the gravy train and also like the possibility of a few medals. Also they're not particularly good at negotiating a lot of the time - failing to get players for Sociadad and Porto during the Summer. Owen was practically thrown at them at the end of the day.

Gerrard will not be thrown at them nor would he come cheap. That's not to say he won't go. Yes he showed loyalty by staying in the Summer and I have a feeling he'll be patient with the new manager (at least 2 seasons would be my guess) but at the end of the day he's ambitious and wants to win things.

Possibly Gerrard is interested in the move, not particularly worrying coming from this website but:

http://www.tribalfootball.com/september/spanishnews2080904.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭JohnnyBravo

VinnyL wrote:
    the only player who dont worry about leaving is stevie. he personifies loyalty.

he aint goin no where!

Niave

Advertisement