Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Souness quits

• 06-09-2004 10:22am
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Looks like he could be off to Newcastle

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I think Gerrard Houllier will be the next Blackburn Manager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

lol Newcastle what are they at?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

any links?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/story_get.dor?STORY_NAME=soccer/04/09/06/SOCCER_Souness.html
    Graeme Souness has reportedly resigned as Blackburn boss and is locked in talks with Newcastle over their vacant managerial position.

Souness is said to have told the Rovers squad on Monday morning that he is walking away from Ewood Park after four-and-a-half years in charge.

And with the Magpies looking for a strict disciplinarian to succeed Sir Bobby Robson at the helm at St James' Park, a move to Tyneside is now on the cards.

Toon chairman Freddy Shepherd is understood to be thrashing out a deal to bring in Souness - formerly in charge of Liverpool, Rangers and Southampton - and it could be tied up within 24 hours.

A flurry of betting activity saw Souness' odds drop dramatically from 33/1 to 1/6 on Monday, and he is likely to take over officially after Saturday's Premiership clash between Newcastle and Blackburn.

My little bro will love this! hates Souness at Blackburn! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,761 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Apart from precedence, where did you get that source about Houllier?

Anyway i am not too dissapointed Souness has quit, as Blackburn had a poor season last year, a bad start to this year, and too many of Souey's signings havent been a great success.

Add that to the fact that his personal problems with players, perhaps Blackburn will be better off without him, and whatever compensation they get could be a bonus!

As long as the new boss is not Sir Clive Woodward ..... :)

X

The guy moves fast.....only 30min ago he quit

Graeme Souness has agreed terms with Newcastle to become manager, according to BBC Radio 5 Live.

No source about Houllier,its just what I think will happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Oh well - that's pretty much any good work that Robson may have previously put in instantly erased.

Thats just b*ll*x p.pete

He has come a long way sinece his liverpool days, and has managed to win a trophy with unfashionable Blackburn, which is something Newcastle havent done in donkeys years, even with Robson, Gullit, Daglish and Keegan, and huge sums of money invested!

Also if duff turns out to be surplus at Chelsea ... Souey is a big fan!

X

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭LizardKing

I can see it now , he'll offload all the Irish talent .... Bring in a load of ex-rangers players

LizardKing wrote:
    I can see it now , he'll offload all the Irish talent .... Bring in a load of ex-rangers players

I think he has moved on from those days,I would like to think so anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭midget lord

Its going to be some regime change. From robson to souness, if thats what happens.

Check out Sky sports and BBC web sites, both have confirmed he is joining NUFC.
    And they play Rovers this weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Always over-exaggerated in any case.

Stan was never great at Liverpool and Houghton had lost his place to McManaman so accepting a decent offer for a player who was now surplus really was no big deal. And it took a massive bid to sell Duffer.

Dub13 wrote:

No chance! every Rangers player that comes on the market he trys to sign! Craig Moore who is no way a PL player he tried to get!! u could see the rush of other PL clubs trying to sign him after the deal fell through!! gud luck Newcastle......Rangers will be your feeder club!! and now they are right beside Glasglow there is no hope!!

BBC Radio 1 have it as confirmed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Finally the Newcastle board have done something right. Wether you love him or loathe him, Souness is exactly the kind of disciplinarian that Newcastle need to put it up to their overpaid prima-donna's. All this rubbish about him offloading the Irish contingent is rubbish too, Given and Carr will stay, I wouldn't be suprised if O' Brien goes though, he's just not good enough.

as for him offloading the Irish in the past some of it was good business but I could never get my head around how he treated Alan Kelly.

I don't rate him as a manager, certainly not better than Robson. But I'm delighted O'Leary is staying at Villa, the Sun as usual got it wrong again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Christ I hate Graeme Souness but maybe a complete wanker is what's needed there right now. Someone to get the dressing room in order and get little pricks like Bellamy and Dyer back in line. It won't be pretty in there or on the pitch under Souness :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭Tippex

Finally the Newcastle board have done something right. Wether you love him or loathe him, Souness is exactly the kind of disciplinarian that Newcastle need to put it up to their overpaid prima-donna's. All this rubbish about him offloading the Irish contingent is rubbish too, Given and Carr will stay, I wouldn't be suprised if O' Brien goes though, he's just not good enough.

True about O'Brien but the problem he will have is who to bring in if he gets rid of O'Brien coz he will then need 2 top quality CB as they havent replaced woody yet. And its difficult enough to find one decent CB never mind 2.

Tippex wrote:
    True about O'Brien but the problem he will have is who to bring in if he gets rid of O'Brien coz he will then need 2 top quality CB as they havent replaced woody yet. And its difficult enough to find one decent CB never mind 2.

Prob Craig Moore and Michael Ball.....who else is playing at CB for Rangers these days!! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Actually with five minutes reflection this is a pretty atrocious appointment, he's got the same amount of points so far this season as Robson and is usually skirting relegation.

SOUNESS OUT!!!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭JohnnyBravo

Thats just b*ll*x p.pete

He has come a long way sinece his liverpool days, and has managed to win a trophy with unfashionable Blackburn, which is something Newcastle havent done in donkeys years, even with Robson, Gullit, Daglish and Keegan, and huge sums of money invested!

Also if duff turns out to be surplus at Chelsea ... Souey is a big fan!

X

RUBBISH

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Muzz

Dub13 wrote:

LOL...Amourso, Ferguson, Tugay!!! Thats 3 first team starters. Guess where they were brought from? Sorry to rain on your parade but Newcastle werent going far with Bobby Robson but with Souness they are only going further back.

Muzz wrote:
    LOL...Amourso, Ferguson, Tugay!!! Thats 3 first team starters. Guess where they were brought from? Sorry to rain on your parade but Newcastle werent going far with Bobby Robson but with Souness they are only going further back.

I was talking about the days when he sold Irish players just because they were Irish.... :rolleyes: ,so you are not raining on my parade :D

666 posts dub? LUCIFER!!!!

He does have a habit of buying players he has worked with previously. Not necessarily a bad idea as you know what you're getting, but it has rarely worked out well - especially when the player has changed leagues.

In saying that Tugay is a very good player, albeit passed his best at this stage. And from his performances with Rangers and Scotland I thought Ferguson would do very well in England - but it turned out to be another case of a player looking class in Scotland and turning out to be much less than that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Jaysus what a strange appointment. Ok I'm off to Paddy Power to put a few quid on Newcastle going down this season!!!!

• Advertisement

gandalf wrote:
    Jaysus what a strange appointment. Ok I'm off to Paddy Power to put a few quid on Newcastle going down this season!!!!

Very true....anybody no what odds Souness was for this job yesterday....?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

In saying that Tugay is a very good player, albeit passed his best at this stage. And from his performances with Rangers and Scotland I thought Ferguson would do very well in England - but it turned out to be another case of a player looking class in Scotland and turning out to be much less than that.

Tugay has probably been Blackburns best player for the last couple of years. Barry Ferguson has only played a handful of games because he broke his ankle last year, it is far too early to judge him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

OMG, what the hell is shepard thinking? he needs a proven manager who has won something! Souness is only a step back into the guillit days! it's all over people. plus referee's hate him. results go against him a lot because of that i think!
    this could ba a bad time to be a toon army supporter! (oh wait that includes me!! NOOOOOO!!)

evilhomer wrote:
    he needs a proven manager who has won something!

He won the coca cola thing cuppy! dont have any idea wat its called this season!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Lads get on Paddypower quick. 50-1 Newcastle get relegated, have slapped a fiver on it myself :) Get it before the odds drop !!!!

he was something like 33/1 and went into 1/6 after he resigned from the blackburn post.

• Advertisement

He won the FA Cup in 1992 with Liverpool.
    And he won plenty of leagues and cups with Rangers.
    Not sure what, if anything, he won in Turkey. Think it was 1 league and 1 cup, but wouldnt bet on it.
    Won nothing at Soton, but kept them up in his first season when they looked dead and buried.
    He looked to be taking Blackburn on bit by bit, but last year they were static at best, maybe even disimproved.

He also bought Steven Reid last year! So that was hardly anti-Irish. Although with Reid's injuries and performances he might be on the way there....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Seriously, couldn't they get someone decent?
    Chelsea got the champions league winner, Liverpool got the Spain champions winner, couldn't they have gotten someone?

Offically out of my pick for top 5 :D

Who will take on the Blackburn job now?

Shearer? ah no I doubt that, Houlier maybe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Don't forget the remainder of the stroppy strikers association, namely Bellamy and Kluivert. This is a disaster waiting to happen.

It wont take more than 10 minutes for Souness to show that he's in charge and not Shearer - if its necessary. Freddie Shephard knows this well. If there's any kind of clash of personalities, Shearer will be gone at Christmas.

On the other hand Shearer remains very friendly with Kenny Dalglish. Dalglish and Souness were very close as players and remain friendly. It is therefore possible that Shearer and Souness are already on good terms and are looking forward to working together........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

It wont take more than 10 minutes for Souness to show that he's in charge and not Shearer - if its necessary. Freddie Shephard knows this well. If there's any kind of clash of personalities, Shearer will be gone at Christmas.

On the other hand Shearer remains very friendly with Kenny Dalglish. Dalglish and Souness were very close as players and remain friendly. It is therefore possible that Shearer and Souness are already on good terms and are looking forward to working together........

I'm gald someone here understands football off the pitch! Its a clever move by the evil Sheppard. Its so mad any sort of decent season will be greeted with relief by fans while the Big Bad Scot will scare the ****e out of the dressing room tossers (of whom Newcatle seem to have rather too many).

Also about this "Souness is anti-Irish" crap, at Blackburn he just got rid of the makeweights some of whom happened to be Irish.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

Hmmm, I cant see the appointment of Souness, in comparison to Robson, making Newcastle much better than they would have been. The problems Newcastle have are manifold and most of them created by a "meddling" Chairman, it would seem (the player power v manager struggle, I believe, is being "allowed to happen").

Whether Souness can shake them up is another story, but I doubt if he can get Newcastle to where they were 2 years ago (last season the troubles in the dressing room started and they spilled onto the pitch). This season is looking like a 5th-8th at the outside, probably mid table or even worse. The season after this will be the litmus test for Souness. He is now at a club with greater potential (and revenues) than the current Blackburn and surely they wont have to fight relegation. That will be breathing space for Souness.

I'm sure he will bring in the odd Scot or two and no doubt make a few bad signings. I dont rate him as a top manager and I think Souness at his best is worse than Robson at his best. Newcastle fans I guess would like to win anything at this stage, so maybe they could have an inspired cup run, depending on the draw, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

True Newcastle have too may prima donnas and its been a case of the tail wagging the dog for too long there and Souness will sort that out if he is given the time.

The problem is that the players that need to be put in their place are newcastles best and Souness is likely alienate them in the process and so I can see results suffer.

The comments in this thread regarding Shearer Dalglish and Souness are interesting and make sense. There is no way Souness will keep his job if he
    tries to shaft Shearer who after all has seen two managers sacked just for dropping him.

I dont think its a good appointment and so I think i.ll be joining the queue at Paddy Powers to get the best odds I can on Newcastle self destructing from within.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Muzz

Dub13 wrote:
    I was talking about the days when he sold Irish players just because they were Irish.... :rolleyes: ,so you are not raining on my parade :D

Addressing the rain on your parade...that part was not addressed at you specifically but to those that actually think souness was the right appointment.

And stop moving the goalposts about souness and signing rangers players...

I think Newcastle are the new "Spice Boys" of the EPL....and Souness is just the man to kick that out of them,but thats not to say they will be a good football team...they just will not moan anymore.

Big Nelly wrote:
    Who will take on the Blackburn job now?

If you believe Sky sports it looks like Mark Hughes will be th next Blackburn manager.

He did well with Wales, took them from a Nothern Ireland situation, to the verge of qualifying for the big tournaments.

Still its a big step up.

X

If they cannot get there man I would not be surprised to see Robson take over ontill the end of the year.

Did Robson not say that he wud quit management after he is finished with the Newcastle job?? cant really see him moving back into Management!!! if they dont get there man(at the moment according to reports they are drawing up a shortlist) I can see them leaving Tony Parkes until the end of the season! he has already filled in 6 times before!!

They could also move for a manager from the lower leagues!! any ideas? Mikey Adams from Leicester?

• Advertisement
Advertisement