Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planetside - Who's still playing ?

• 06-09-2004 10:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭

I've recently restarted playing planetside and was wondering who out of boards.ie is still fighting the good fight (thats the vanu side in case you don't know).

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Gave up a good while ago but went back for the free 14 day trial yoke and found all my characters had vanished. That pretty much put an end to my PS return.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Still fighting the splitters (Vanu & New Conglomerate), part of a Terran Outfit too - the LLOD, along with a couple of other boards.ie members too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

I still play pretty regularly. BR18/CR2 NC werner, fight club outfit.

The BFRs look fun :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 998 ✭✭✭zekiel

nah, gave it up many moons ago due to lack of interest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 P45

I play it on and off (Vanu), and still find it to be good pointless fun, but not in large chunks. 'Twould be nice if they got the balance right between the factions/weapons. The BIG multi-hour battles were always the part I liked (zerg or, no zerg). Yea I know, I'm one of those who'd sacrifice whole continents if I, and everyone else, was in a bloody good fight!

I don't believe it's worth the present monthly fee though. They should halve it since there hasn't been any real innovative(sp?) features added, and core combat was/is a bloody mess (I know... I bought the bloomin' expansion). The proposed new Mechs look like sh!te, the battle islands are just more of the same. They need larger maps, bases in positions that make sense (with defenses intelligently located too!), new certs, new bloody station layouts (I can run them all blindfolded). Damn game could be so so much better!

I'll stop before I hit someone...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

P45 wrote:
    'Twould be nice if they got the balance right between the factions/weapons.

actually, you'll find that many of the weapons do actually balance out when used "properly". The Terran "Cycler" for example is a prime example. The TR whines about the VS Lasher & the NC jackhammer. Sure, if you let them get close you're going to get seriously outgunned. But at range, the cycler is a nasty little weapon. Fast fire rate, and a very quick fire-arc recovery time. Same with similar weapons. It's how you fight the enemy that counts.
    the battle islands are just more of the same. They need larger maps, bases in positions that make sense (with defenses intelligently located too!), new certs, new bloody station layouts (I can run them all blindfolded). Damn game could be so so much better!

Well good for you. You know a base blindfolded. Do you want a medal? The battle islands work rather well, focusing the battle into such a small area that it becomes insane. There is talk of new "postBR20 cert skills" also.

Also might want to fnid a decent bunch of players to play with, rather than just doing the zerg XP wh0re thing. Much more fun that way......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭KilOit

nah dont really play anymore,
    played it to death and now its just boring

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 dazzaw17

I still play, been playing it for over a year now :) im also in LLOD, same a Lemming, i also out rank him :rolleyes: hehe, and dont mention the gal 'incident' lol

daz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

I have the game just havent installed but am thinkiing of playing it any help in the game for a newb ? Whats the best side for a newb to be on ect class's and so on .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 dazzaw17

1st, desiding on your empire, need to know what your style of play is.

Terran Republic, We use bullets, main Heavy weapons is the mini chaingun, medium assualt weapon is basicaly an assualt rifle (think m4) our main battle tank is (i thnik) the most powerful in the game and has the advantave of having 2 gunners, one on the main gun, the other on the 15mil chain guns, this enables use to shoot at 2 targets at once, eg main gun shooting an enemy tank where as the chaingun is shooting enemy air :D we have the coolest looking vehicles

Vanu, these use energy weapons, there main weapon is the lasher, it fires balls of energy to to damage on a direct hit and slitley less damage if you miss a direct hit (called a lash) there medium assualy weapon is the pulsar, fires energy round, looks ghey and sounds ghey, main battle tank is the magrider, this is a hover tank, driver is also a gunner, but the gun only goes up and down, driver has to stear to aim left and right, the main gunner has a 360o rotation though

NC, these use shotguns mainly, there main weapon is a 3 barel shotgun called the jackhammer, medium assualt for the NC tbh the dont use it much, main battle tank is the vanguard, its fast and powerful, but it only has one gunner who fires the main gun and the machine gun.

in short:

TR - Ranged weaponry
    VS - Energy weapons that are REALY easy to get kills with
    NC - Shotguns, run in, triple shot, run away.

daz

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭n1ck

My mate plays it, has 3 characters two of which are BR20 CR5 and one is BR16 CR0. He plays it everyday, for Terran and Clongomerate(sp?).

Smily
    Nexium
    Neksium are his 3 characters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

I was thinking of starting to play this again but when I tried to install it today one of the CDs was scratched wouldn't read! Bah. :/

Teeth.

You can download the client off www.planetside.com iirc.

hmm, don't really want to pay 10 dollars for the privelege of just downloading it!

Teeth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

sweet thanks dazz whats the best side to be though for a newb to start on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭KilOit

darkener id recommend the vs they seem to have more fun ;)
    stay away from tr they suck really

main char KiTaZ but i only use the ps forums now, game so boring for me now,
    buts its the best fps out there hele fun

I've started playing again.. I was going to play VS on Werner but when I re-activated my account I found that they hadn't deleted my chars :) So I'm NC and TR on Werner and VS on Emerald. It's good fun as long as you don't take it too seriously. I just hit "Instant Action" and join the foot zerg when I play!

Teeth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

Dr_Teeth wrote:
    I've started playing again.. I was going to play VS on Werner but when I re-activated my account I found that they hadn't deleted my chars :) So I'm NC and TR on Werner and VS on Emerald. It's good fun as long as you don't take it too seriously. I just hit "Instant Action" and join the foot zerg when I play!

Teeth.
    How do you reactivate your account?

And can someone explain how you can buy a new CD online with a months free game time for $19.99 and you have to buy a game card for your existing account which costs $39.99

Help?!

[Edit]
    Oh wait, is the gamecard for 3 months?
    [/Edit]

Download.com have it available for download I've just found out, no strings attached! Handy.

Teeth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭ExoduS 18.11

i still play br 15 on werner, gets kinda repetitive tho after a while. Bfrs should be a lugh tho. Member of Dark conglomerate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Monty - the one and only

playing it on and off...crashes now more than it used to...shame that.

on werner most of the time im there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 946 ✭✭✭tipperaryboy

what sorta game is planetside?never heard of it.Sounds like an RPG or something.

Futuristic style FPS, basically. There's a free trial available on the site if you're thinking about giving it a bash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 946 ✭✭✭tipperaryboy

Can i ask what site do i go to if i want to try out planetside?

www.planetside.com surprisingly enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭lynchie

Still play my br20 cr4 werner character regularly.

Looking forward to the BFR's too. Should be interesting to see how they change gameplay.

As for which team to join, id say TR, mainly because I hate the VS (Barney's) and NC(Smurf's) :D

lynchie wrote:
    Still play my br20 cr4 werner character regularly.

Looking forward to the BFR's too. Should be interesting to see how they change gameplay.

As for which team to join, id say TR, mainly because I hate the VS (Barney's) and NC(Smurf's) :D
    BFR's will be retarded, imho. To make such a huge change such as bigger, 2 man Max's and then say - Ok, these are just for those special people who forked out $30 extra is a bit naff, imho.

I bought planetside expecting a cool game, not to be pummeled again and again by flails, spikers and maelstroms. Not to mention missing out on cavern combat. Now, ontop of all this you want to give a retarded advantage to people who pay more than me? Bleh, time I was leaving, me thinks...

cc is worth the $10 (€8, just over 2 pints fgs!) for the extra equipment and vehicles :)

I'm looking forward to the BFRs too. Apparently they'll be released monday :O

Moriarty wrote:
    cc is worth the $10 (€8, just over 2 pints fgs!) for the extra equipment and vehicles :)

I'm looking forward to the BFRs too. Apparently they'll be released monday :O
    Well it used to be $24.99 when I played so :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭ExoduS 18.11

Of course you have to but core combat, i mean its like any other expansion for a game. When games bring out new stuff you usually need the expansion anyways? No-one "misses" out on cc [its naff anyways], its like any other game, you need to buy it to get the extra features

Advertisement