Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Burke ordered to pay legal costs

Options
  • 06-09-2004 11:01am
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭

It could not happen to a nicer bloke.

The Mahon Tribunal has ordered Ray Burke to pay his own legal costs, estimated at €10m.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Move this to humour, its the funniest thing I've heard in ages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭Batbat

Dub13 wrote:
    It could not happen to a nicer bloke.

The Mahon Tribunal has ordered Ray Burke to pay his own legal costs, estimated at €10m.

oh JOY , there is some justice in this country :D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Batbat wrote:
    oh JOY , there is some justice in this country :D:D:D:D

That's the best thing yet to come out of that tribunal.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Quatre Mains

Lads,
    read a report that if this ruling went against Burke then there would be similar rulings made to about 15 others. Anyone got some of those names?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Wah-hey! There would have been war if the taxpayer had to foot the bill for that.

EDIT/ Of course, 10 million is what his lawyers quoted if the government were going to pay it. It will probably be a 10th of that to burke himself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

there is a god..... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭Batbat

makes you think that the scumbag lawyers can keep a straight face when charging 10million euros for anything bastards!.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Made me smile. They should increase the penalties for wasting the court's time as well. Now let's hope for similiar proper justice on all other tribunals.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

Oh happy days, oh happy daayys; come on ppl sing along

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Won't matter a bit to Raphael , Bertie will just write a cheque for his " Fall Guy" .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

He deserve that and a lot more, to think this man was once Minister for Justice!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

More info here

Unfortunately, I can see Mr. Burke taking a stance that he cannot afford to pay, and the state will stump up rather than see those poor lawyers out of pocket.

Personally, I hope that he tries to wiggle out of it that way and they set the bailiffs on him, confiscating his every possession to square the debt if necessary.

Its about time someone got fed to the lions, and I just hope they stick with the feeding schedule. God knows....it might encourage others to stop lying their asses off quite as much...

jc

• Registered Users Posts: 78,415 ✭✭✭✭Victor

bonkey wrote:
    Unfortunately, I can see Mr. Burke taking a stance that he cannot afford to pay,
    In the Tribunal’s second interim report in 2002, then chairman Mr Justice Feargus Flood found Mr Burke’s former home in north county Dublin was a corrupt payment from builder Tom Brennan and his associates.
    Of course there is the matter of the €3.5m he got for his house* (the one he didn't pay for).

* Notably between the Pavillions Shopping Centre and the Swords Bypass and bought by the developers. Of course, I insinuate nothing.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Victor wrote:
    Of course there is the matter of the €3.5m he got for his house* (the one he didn't pay for).

* Notably between the Pavillions Shopping Centre and the Swords Bypass and bought by the developers. Of course, I insinuate nothing.

I bet that house was in his wifes name... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Dub13 wrote:
    I bet that house was in his wifes name... :(

You're right, his house is in his wife's name.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

One must feel sorry for poor Ray...... NOT!!! :p

Advertisement