Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Idea for next months PayDay Monday... team event?

Options
  • 06-09-2004 12:59pm
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Ok, this is an idea We've been throwing for a while but a chat with Luke Ivory (the Fitz floor manager) has confirmed that it will work.

What I'm suggesting here refers to the event on the 4th of October.
    It will be our usual SuitedAces 50-in Freeze out but I've got something else in mind too. This time we wont be doing life-chips or terminator things. We're going to run a side event for teams!

Here's how it works. You enter a team of four names and a team name. You pay a nominal extra entry fee which goes into the team pot (probably something like 40-50 quid a team, ie: ~€10 a head to keep it fun). Then you play the individual tournament as normal. You're placing is your score for your team and the team with the least score wins. Easy eh?

Since there are likely to only be 10 teams, the prize money for the winning team is only about ~300 quid with ~100 going to second. This stops any collusion at the table, (why would you help someone on your team when in reality you are also competing in the main tourney against them for considerably more cash). Luke Ivory and I sat and talked about this and he says its common enough to run the two together so long as the prize fund for the team event doesnt exceed the individual one. Initially I also hope to seed the teams onto separate tables to further reduce any suspicion of collusion (which I seriously doubt anyone would bother with, or get away with!)

So what do you guys reckon? Anyone up for it? Should we increase, decrease the prize pool? Make it the best 3-of-4 for the team result?
    Get your teams organised and declare them on this thread ahead of time if you like (you'll still need to confirm it with us on the evening).

Whaddya think?

DeV.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭Marq

I like this idea but wouldn't like to see any more than a tenner a head. who's with me for october 4th?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭careca

If its crap players you're looking for Marq, i'm in. If you have four already, don't worry about it as I will be just back from a heavy drinking weekend in London.

Neil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭Batbat

DeVore wrote:
    Ok, this is an idea We've been throwing for a while but a chat with Luke Ivory (the Fitz floor manager) has confirmed that it will work.

What I'm suggesting here refers to the event on the 4th of October.
    It will be our usual SuitedAces 50-in Freeze out but I've got something else in mind too.

<snip>

So what do you guys reckon? Anyone up for it? Should we increase, decrease the prize pool? Make it the best 3-of-4 for the team result?
    Get your teams organised and declare them on this thread ahead of time if you like (you'll still need to confirm it with us on the evening).

Whaddya think?

DeV.

Im up fot it, whatever the hell it is your talking about :D

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Neil, theres a few of us over in London for the Gutshot tournie that weekend (2st-3rd Oct) is that what you are talking about? You should play as the club is looking for players and we can hook up for pints too one of the nights.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

i like this idea, one loose canon available for hire :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭careca

DeVore wrote:
    Neil, theres a few of us over in London for the Gutshot tournie that weekend (2st-3rd Oct) is that what you are talking about? You should play as the club is looking for players and we can hook up for pints too one of the nights.

DeV.

Am actually going for Chelsea/Liverpool game on the Sunday, Tom, but Luke said I could play alright in the team event on the Sat. Do you know what time it starts on the Sat. I would prefer an afternoon start, so that I can go on the raz on Sat night. Either way will def meet up for a few (good few) pints.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I dont know when it starts but I think its afternoon. Myself and Hyzepher are heading over (anyone else?).

Marq, I agree with the "tenner ahead" thing as I dont want it to be more then a bit of craic and something to give us something to cheer about from the sidelines!
    (not to mention the inevitable rivalries as I think this might become a regular feature if it works well)...

DeV.

Right, Neil's in. I'm extending the invitation to join our merry band of warriors to people I see as having good staying power in tournies - Davey Whelan I'm sure will come with me. Dappergent, Lafortezza, JP - any of you hardy perennials want to be part of the winning team? (in this last sentence, I am of course implying that the team that wins will be the one that I am on, so no 'clever' comments please).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭karlh

Interested in team thing for next 50 game, nice idea.

I'm for hire too! Anyone want a BSOP #1? :p

how to work out the teams?

• Advertisement

we're having a chat about the possible side things we want to run (mostly fleshing out some of the ideas put forward in the other thread about stuff people wanted us to run!). I think the heads-up tournie will happen and some other interesting stuff.
    Stay Tuned :)

I love the pimpage karlH... will there be transfer fees involved if another team makes a better bid! :p

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Ill join up with yourself and neil if youll have me marq, but then ive never done well in a boards tournament, by the way are we splitting JPs Camels tonight? :)

lol. Oscar, you're on board. You've been winning too much in the cash games recently to pass up the oppurtunity. That's me, Neil, Oscar and one other if Biteme isn't back from europe by then.

Looks like the first team is already formed... The more I think about this the more I like it, nothing like a bit of team rivalry to make things interesting!

DeV

• Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I'd be up for it too, for the laugh...

Credentials:
    BSOP #2
    100% final table record in SuitedAces Monthly 50 tournie (2/2)

;)

Its not going to be fair if the good players team up together, it should be random

Boards.ie implied in "Poker not Fair" shocker!!!

You don't have to enter the team event, in fact, you're saving yourself a tenner if you don't. Just enter the main game and get on with it.would agree to randomized teams, I guarantee you that.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

I see Krusty has applied for a place on Marqs crack squad but I'd like to put my name in the hat too.

musician wrote:
    I see Krusty has applied for a place on Marqs crack squad but I'd like to put my name in the hat too.

is it random or not? can we clarify the rules to this pls?

the first team has been formed, so that stands the rest can be random

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭henbane

Batbat wrote:
    is it random or not? can we clarify the rules to this pls?
    I don't think it has been suggested by anyone that it will be random.

It doesn't make sense for it to be random. A tournament may be an enjoyable social occasion but putting €10 in the ring when you don't know who else will be responsible for any possible return you might have on that money makes no sense at all.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

If it was random I wouldn't have specified Marq's team. It's up to peeps to make their own teams and I do believe Marq was searching for top players so naturally I put my name forward.

ok, since its social ill go in with Devores team if there is room, :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I think its a cool idea for us, but if you want to get more people to join in the games I don't think it will have a positive effect, if anything it will be more negative.

Perhaps you could volunteer regular players to play with newbies or something

Yuo could put people in pools like the champions league group stages and people can make their own teams but have to have a player from each pool. But our team stands.

Marq
    Careca
    Bohsman
    Biteme
    The Dream Team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭Spiritus

A - Amp
    K - Karlh
    K - KenCleary
    K - Spiritus

Three Kings...with an Amp kicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Juan Pablo

I'm in the process of putting together a crack commando unit, out to get this so called "dream team". All will be revealed on the night......

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭evillive

3 dark souls needed for evil's team of darkness then

any takers?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Spiritus wrote:
    A - Amp
    K - Karlh
    K - KenCleary
    K - Spiritus

Three Kings...with an Amp kicker.
    Sometimes top set just isn't enough.

• Advertisement

This is a competition, so I want to go in with the best guys I can convince to play. Random teams would be a good way to break the ice and introduce people to each other but not in a money tournie.

New players who dont know about the team element simply dont involve themselves with it and nothing comes from the single player prize pool. For them, the team competition might as well not be on. Its going to be interesting if two full teams get to the final table as then where will loyalties lie?

On collusion, I dont think anyone is going to really bother themselves as the prize for the first team is likely to be 300 notes between 4... I dont think anyone is going to jeopardise their placing for their team! Personally I dont mind teams saying "look, if its just two of us in the pot, then dont go mad" between themselves beforehand but it wont be tolerated at the table. I'll be looking to extract every chip I can for myself! :)

DeV.

Advertisement